Cleaning Crayon Stains in a Dishwasher

Category Appliances
Toddler pressing up against the front of a dishwasher
Crayons that accidentally end up in your dishwasher can create a melted crayon mess. This is a guide about cleaning crayon stains in a dishwasher.

I mistakingly put 2 black crayons into my dishwasher. Now the inside of the dishwasher and the dishes have a black waxy film on them. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean this?

Moey from Avon, MA

Best Answer

I did daycare many years ago and found that all of the scrubbing I did on walls or anything eles was a waste of time when I learned that just a shot or 2 of WD40 on a rag or paper towel just melts the crayon off and then you can clean it with any household cleaner or if in the dishwasher, just run a wash with your dishwasher soap after the WD40!

Best Answer

Do not use goo gone or goof off as it will melt the surface of the plastic and make your dishwasher pick up more stains and residue! WD40 is the way to go with crayons.

My 18 month old son put a crayon in the bottom of my dishwasher, and I didn't see it there until after the dishwasher had been run through. The inside of the door and the bottom of my dishwasher is now stained green, and the drain has a lot of goopy wax on it. I ran it though a cycle with bleach, and that seemed to help a little. I am renting the place I am currently living in, and this is a new dishwasher, so I would hate to have to replace it when I move! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Emily D.

Answers:

Crayon Stain In Dishwasher

Try some Goo-Gone (at Walmart) for the waxy residue. The new product by Mr. Clean for getting spots off walls may take out the stain. (11/09/2004)

Crayon Stain In Dishwasher

I totally recommend Bar Keeper's Friend. You can get it at WalMart and Raley's. Check out their site too. Barkeepersfriend.com Mix it as a paste with water. Apply with a toothbrush and cover area needed to be clean. Then allow it to sit for a while. Say, 20 mins. then use your toothbrush in circle motions. It might take a few applications. But you will be amazed what a wonderful cleaning product you have just used! Try it on stainless steel, glass,fiberglass, porcelain and much more. Happy cleaning without strong odor! (11/10/2004)

By Jennifer,CA

Crayon Stain In Dishwasher

When I took out the filter, I noticed I have crayon residue all inside the inner workings of the washer! I assume it is completely coating all the inner plumbing of the dishwasher. Is there anything to run through the dishwasher to clean the inner plumbing? (04/01/2005)

By Steve

Crayon Stain In Dishwasher

Wipe it with a dryer sheet or mr clean eraser with greased lightning. Works in the dryer and washer (08/27/2005)