Cleaning Curtains

Keeping your curtains clean can seem to be a daunting task. Many can not be simply tossed in the washer. This is a guide about cleaning curtains.

March 15, 2016 Flag

I have these curtains that I left out in the rain and they smell so bad. How do I get that musty smell out? I also have allergies. Please help. Thank you.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you cannot wash the curtains, it will be very difficult to remove the mold. A dry cleaner may be able to help, for a fee, of course.

Please do not try to reclaim these. I know it's disappointing, but mold is dangerous and they really need to be discarded.

September 17, 2007 Flag

Would it be safe to machine wash heavy draperies - no fabric content is listed, however I believe it is Rayon. It also states dry clean only.

Alesha from Neosho, MO

I had dry clean only drapes I used and dry cleaned for several years..expensive..I would have them cleaned about once a year. After several years, I tired washing them..my thinking being, I was sick of them anyway and so what...they turned out beautifully and I continued to use them for quite a while after that..they did lose some crispness and the headings suffered after a time. I don't recall the fabric content. You will have to decide whether you are willing to replace them if the "washing" does not pan out. I was, but got lucky. I am very fugral and would have been upset if they had gotten ruined even though I was ready to replace them~

Some dry-clean only things can be washed in your washer. However, if they are rayon, they will probably shrink.

I had lined custom draperies that were dry clean only. I tried washing them and they didnt come out well. Mine were poly cotton blend.. (I think) I wouldnt wash your drapes if they have rayon. It shrinks. YOu might want to try dry clean options that work in your dryer.

There is a kit you can buy to dry clean in your drier. Something like Dryol ??? My friend used this for all things that need dry cleaning. Think the kit costs about $6.00 and good for a couple uses.

October 14, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning yellowed curtains. Window coverings can yellow with age and environmental conditions. It can be a challenge to restore the color.

Yellowed Curtains

September 22, 2011 Flag

How can I brighten and still keep the sizing in my sheer white curtains without ironing them and using spray starch?

By Pat from PA

Try soaking them over night in weak baby bottle sterilizing solution such as Milton. It has enough bleach to whiten but not so much as to turn the curtains yellow.

Try tumbling the panels in the dryer with a couple of tennis balls. Use the air dry or lowest heat setting. By putting the dry panel in, you preserve the sizing. Any method that involves getting them wet will remove the sizing. I googled how to stiffen fabric, and found several methods involving sugar or white glue. You may want to check these out, to see if you want to nuse them to restore sizing to your curtains after laundering therm.

I would soak them overnight in cascade (for the dishwasher). It will whiten lots of things. I soak my cotton dish towels and it makes them white and clean.

February 25, 2011 Flag

Could someone help? I would like to know how to wash Austrian lace curtains in the washing machine without getting the strings on the back tangled.

By Maureen from Australia

If they're very precious to you, you'd probably be better off soaking in a sink or tub and handwashing them. If you're willing to risk putting them in the washer, select the gentlest cycle -- mine has a cycle for items that are supposed to be hand washed. I've put small delicate items into a pillowcase to help protect them in the washer, but I suspect curtains would be too big for that. Just be very careful when selecting the settings on your machine, and keep your fingers crossed!

Wash your curtains in warm water and a little hydrogen peroxide and mild soap if you want to get them white. Fold curtains into a square about 15 inches by 15 inches and place in folded form into water. Do not unfold. Soak for about 15 minutes and take press down on folded square to 'wash' out. The lift out in the same folded form. Do not unfold. Put in clean rinse water and press down to rinse til clear. Take out. Put on a clean towel in folded form. roll up in towel to squeeze out moisture. Then you can unfold and hang back up to dry.

Cathy from MA

Hand wash.

October 5, 2005 Flag

I got a pair of old, silky feeling oriental curtains from my great grandmother about a week ago. I love them, the problem is they smell. I have washed them three times; using detergent the first, detergent and dish washing liquid (someone told me to try that) the second, and the third, letting them soak, then washing them in a mix of the detergent, dish soap, and half a bottle of fabreze. So far, nothing has worked, please help me with this.

<p>Nervarah</p>

You might try soaking them in vinegar & water. Vinegar takes lots of odors out.

Wash them in a mixture of (1/2 cup baking soda & 1/2 cup white vinegar). Soak them overnight in the washer...full of water with this mixture added. Wash. Hang them in fresh air to dry. This ought to do the trick. Good luck!

I agree with the vinegar.... periodically DD leaves clothes in the washer for several days... and they smell... just wash with about a cup of vinegar and no more odors...

We have 4 inside dogs, so I keep a bowl of vinegar in different rooms of the house... no dog odors at all.. especially after rain and the dog smell is really bad..

you might try adding a cup of borax to the soaking water. it gets urine smell out of mattresses, so...also line dry in the sun on a breezy day.

or if the curtains are of good quality, you might consider investing in having them dry cleaned.

February 14, 2006 Flag

I've found that a great way to remove dust from my living room drapes is to just place them in the dryer with a dryer sheet and let them spin for five minutes or so. They come out of the dryer dust-free, wrinkle-free, and they smell great!

By Wanda from Winnipeg, Manitoba

Another quick pick me up is to take a strong blow dryer on cool setting & blow on high- do monthly!

February 21, 2005 Flag

I never dry my curtains. I wash them in my washing machine on gentle cycle and then rehang them wet. They dry there well and they don't have to be ironed.

By Robin

September 28, 2010 Flag

How would I clean Martha Steward drawstring curtains without having to take them down?

By Trudy from Trout Run, PA

Answers:

Cleaning Curtains Without Taking Down

A home steamer with a five-foot hose is great for tedious things or items you don't want to move like curtains, comforters, and bed skirts, and of course you can do clothes. With a home steamer, like the HoMedics Perfect Steam, you pour water into the canister, your steam is ready in 45 seconds, and you can steam for 40 minutes. And there's a hanger bar for your garments.

You see clothes coming into fine department stores in boxes, all creased and wrinkled, and most get steamed. The claim is steaming is five times faster and safer for clothes than ironing. It's definitely safer for crushable fabrics, like velvet and corduroy. But you still want to test an area first if you're steaming something that can melt or change colors, like metallic threads. Good luck. (03/23/2010)

By kffrmw88

Home and Garden Cleaning Blinds and CurtainsJune 17, 2012
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
A sewing machine making repairs.
Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
🎄