Cleaning Curtains

Keeping your curtains clean can seem to be a daunting task. Many can not be simply tossed in the washer. This is a guide about cleaning curtains.

Pulled Back Curtain
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have these curtains that I left out in the rain and they smell so bad. How do I get that musty smell out? I also have allergies. Please help. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please do not try to reclaim these. I know it's disappointing, but mold is dangerous and they really need to be discarded.

Read More Answers...

Would it be safe to machine wash heavy draperies - no fabric content is listed, however I believe it is Rayon. It also states dry clean only.

Alesha from Neosho, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Drapes are a pretty big investment; I don't think I would risk putting them in the washer. The rule seems to be if the tag says "Dry Clean" you can probably wash in the washer (cold water, no dryer) but if the tag says "Dry Clean Only".....you're better off not risking the washer.

Read More Answers...

How can I brighten and still keep the sizing in my sheer white curtains without ironing them and using spray starch?

By Pat from PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would soak them overnight in cascade (for the dishwasher). It will whiten lots of things. I soak my cotton dish towels and it makes them white and clean.

Read More Answers...

Could someone help? I would like to know how to wash Austrian lace curtains in the washing machine without getting the strings on the back tangled.

By Maureen from Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hand wash.

Read More Answers...

I got a pair of old, silky feeling oriental curtains from my great grandmother about a week ago. I love them, the problem is they smell. I have washed them three times; using detergent the first, detergent and dish washing liquid (someone told me to try that) the second, and the third, letting them soak, then washing them in a mix of the detergent, dish soap, and half a bottle of fabreze. So far, nothing has worked, please help me with this.

<p>Nervarah</p>

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Toss about a 1/2 cup to a full cup of baking soda into the washer when laundering, and add 1 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle. Hang to dry in the fresh air. Also, try using Gain laundry detergent when you launder the curtains. It has a good reputation for even getting out the smell of smoke from house fires.

Read More Answers...

This is a guide about cleaning yellowed curtains. Window coverings can yellow with age and environmental conditions. It can be a challenge to restore the color.

Yellowed Curtains

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've found that a great way to remove dust from my living room drapes is to just place them in the dryer with a dryer sheet and let them spin for five minutes or so. They come out of the dryer dust-free, wrinkle-free, and they smell great!

By Wanda from Winnipeg, Manitoba

I never dry my curtains. I wash them in my washing machine on gentle cycle and then rehang them wet. They dry there well and they don't have to be ironed.

By Robin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How would I clean Martha Steward drawstring curtains without having to take them down?

By Trudy from Trout Run, PA

Answers:

Cleaning Curtains Without Taking Down

A home steamer with a five-foot hose is great for tedious things or items you don't want to move like curtains, comforters, and bed skirts, and of course you can do clothes. With a home steamer, like the HoMedics Perfect Steam, you pour water into the canister, your steam is ready in 45 seconds, and you can steam for 40 minutes. And there's a hanger bar for your garments.

You see clothes coming into fine department stores in boxes, all creased and wrinkled, and most get steamed. The claim is steaming is five times faster and safer for clothes than ironing. It's definitely safer for crushable fabrics, like velvet and corduroy. But you still want to test an area first if you're steaming something that can melt or change colors, like metallic threads. Good luck. (03/23/2010)

By kffrmw88

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Cleaning Blinds and CurtainsJune 17, 2012
    Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
    Hanging Curtains
    Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
    Measuring Windows for New Curtains
    A sewing machine making repairs.
    Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains
    Starching Curtains
    Starching Curtains
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 23, 2016 at 7:47:30 AM on 10.0.2.203 in 505 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.