Cleaning Curtains

Keeping your curtains clean can seem to be a daunting task. Many can not be simply tossed in the washer. This is a guide about cleaning curtains.

February 15, 2017 Flag

A boy holding onto white curtains as he looks out the window.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Overtime, as dust collects on white nylon curtains, they can become dingy. This is a page about cleaning sheer white nylon curtains.

February 10, 2017 Flag

Ornate dry clean only drapes hanging in a window.

Dry cleaning drapes can be quite expensive tempting you to consider machine washing them. This is a guide about, "Can I machine wash dry clean only draperies?".

October 14, 2014 Flag

Yellowed Curtains

This is a guide about cleaning yellowed curtains. Window coverings can yellow with age and environmental conditions. It can be a challenge to restore the color.

February 14, 2006 Flag

I've found that a great way to remove dust from my living room drapes is to just place them in the dryer with a dryer sheet and let them spin for five minutes or so. They come out of the dryer dust-free, wrinkle-free, and they smell great!

By Wanda from Winnipeg, Manitoba

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Another quick pick me up is to take a strong blow dryer on cool setting & blow on high- do monthly!

February 21, 2005 Flag

I never dry my curtains. I wash them in my washing machine on gentle cycle and then rehang them wet. They dry there well and they don't have to be ironed. By Robin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 15, 2016 Flag

I have these curtains that I left out in the rain and they smell so bad. How do I get that musty smell out? I also have allergies. Please help. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you cannot wash the curtains, it will be very difficult to remove the mold. A dry cleaner may be able to help, for a fee, of course.

Please do not try to reclaim these. I know it's disappointing, but mold is dangerous and they really need to be discarded.

October 5, 2005 Flag

I got a pair of old, silky feeling oriental curtains from my great grandmother about a week ago. I love them, the problem is they smell. I have washed them three times; using detergent the first, detergent and dish washing liquid (someone told me to try that) the second, and the third, letting them soak, then washing them in a mix of the detergent, dish soap, and half a bottle of fabreze. So far, nothing has worked, please help me with this.

Nervarah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You might try soaking them in vinegar & water. Vinegar takes lots of odors out.

Wash them in a mixture of (1/2 cup baking soda & 1/2 cup white vinegar). Soak them overnight in the washer...full of water with this mixture added. Wash. Hang them in fresh air to dry. This ought to do the trick. Good luck!

I agree with the vinegar.... periodically DD leaves clothes in the washer for several days... and they smell... just wash with about a cup of vinegar and no more odors...

We have 4 inside dogs, so I keep a bowl of vinegar in different rooms of the house... no dog odors at all.. especially after rain and the dog smell is really bad..

you might try adding a cup of borax to the soaking water. it gets urine smell out of mattresses, so...also line dry in the sun on a breezy day.

or if the curtains are of good quality, you might consider investing in having them dry cleaned.

December 17, 2014 Flag

I have white curtains that I love. They have turned very dingy. How can I get them white again?

By Tina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 28, 2013 Flag

Should I professionally steam cleaning drapes while they're hanging on the rods, or to take down to professionally dry clean?

By Sandi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 28, 2010 Flag

I have a question about the machine for cleaning curtains. I'm looking for a special machine which is able to clean the fabrics right on the windows. It can be either for wet cleaning or chemical cleaning? Thanks for info.

Kratochvilova

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 28, 2010 Flag

How would I clean Martha Steward drawstring curtains without having to take them down?

By Trudy from Trout Run, PA

Answers:

Cleaning Curtains Without Taking Down

A home steamer with a five-foot hose is great for tedious things or items you don't want to move like curtains, comforters, and bed skirts, and of course you can do clothes. With a home steamer, like the HoMedics Perfect Steam, you pour water into the canister, your steam is ready in 45 seconds, and you can steam for 40 minutes. And there's a hanger bar for your garments.

You see clothes coming into fine department stores in boxes, all creased and wrinkled, and most get steamed. The claim is steaming is five times faster and safer for clothes than ironing. It's definitely safer for crushable fabrics, like velvet and corduroy. But you still want to test an area first if you're steaming something that can melt or change colors, like metallic threads. Good luck. (03/23/2010)

By kffrmw88

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Blinds and CurtainsJune 17, 2012
Cleaning Sheer White Nylon Curtains
Yellowed Curtains
Cleaning Yellowed Curtains
Can I Machine Wash Dry Clean Only Draperies?
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 3:24:25 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.