Cleaning Dirty White Socks

How can I keep white socks white? My children get them so dirty and even soaking in bleach doesn't work! Please help.

Thanks,
Kerry

Answers:

Dishwasher Cube

If you have folks in the house that walk around in their white socks and you can never get them clean, dissolve a dishwasher cube or two depending how many socks you have in a bucket of water and let them sit overnight. The next day, wash as a small load. You won't any lose socks and your white socks will be bright white from the clorox in the dishwasher soap. (08/12/2005)

By Annette

Baking Soda or Borax and Vinegar

Try using 1/2 cup of baking soda or borax, available in the laundry section, and the downy ball filled with white vinegar! This helps so much with keeping whites white even with our horrible hard water that turns everything a lovely shade of grey. This only works for keeping them white. I haven't been lucky enough, or cared enough really, to whiten older socks.

We also have play or work socks, that my husband wears to work and the kids play in. That way the newer white socks stay nicer longer and I don't worry about throwing out a pair of mud caked old socks!

Each time we get a new pack of socks we mark each of them with a stamp and fabric inks, a new stamp for each of the boy's socks, and an older "set" of socks gets "retired" to the play socks bin, plus I don't match up the play socks so the kids just go and get 2 socks. Plus with the stamps it makes it easy for the boys, who are 4 and 6, to match their own "new" socks. Boy does that sound anal retentive but it works for us!

Good Luck! (08/12/2005)

By Madelynnsmama

Rit Color Remover

Buy RIT COLOR REMOVER and it will take all color out of the socks including the dirt stains, leaving them white. Just follow the directions. If you use it on other white clothing, be sure to remove the tags as it will bleed them onto the clothing, possibly. (08/12/2005)

By Diana Fox.

Ammonia

I have had good luck using ammonia in the soak and wash water rather than bleach. Doesn't have a lingering odor either. (08/13/2005)

By peachhead

Dishwasher Detergent

Soak them overnight in dishwasher detergent or Oxi-Clean. Either of these usually does the job. (08/13/2005)

By truerblue

Vinegar

My mom swears that by adding about a cup of white vinegar to your wash will get your clothes white again. Vinegar is cheap so it's worth a shot! (08/16/2005)

By BrookesMommy

Oxy Clean

To clean any white clothing, soak them in very hot water and Oxy-Clean. (01/14/2006)

By Rose

Picture of two socks white socks hanging on a clothesline.
Getting Socks Really Clean
Pairs of Baby Socks on a Clothesline
Keeping Baby Socks Together in the Wash
Dirty Rice
Dirty Rice Recipes
Socks
Making a Sock Quilt
A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
🎉
🎄