Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I am looking for a solution to cleaning my no wax floor which has turned yellow under a rug. Can you please help?

Thanks,

Margie.

Editor's Note: This request was in response to a Linoleum request so I assume she is referring to a No Wax Linoleum floor. Please be sure which type of flooring you have before trying these remedies. Linoleum and vinyl are completely different materials.

Answers:

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

Never place rubber on vinyl flooring. A chemical reaction between the rubber and the vinyl will cause flooring discoloration. This is irreversible. (09/02/2004)

By D. Hodge

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

Have you tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? It just might work. It's a chemical free thing you can try.
Susan from ThriftyFun. (02/06/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

This chemical reaction is permanent.
The only solution is to replace the tile or get a bigger floor mat and glue it to the surface. (03/26/2005)

By James

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I used mineral spirits and it removed most of mine. (04/28/2005)

By Debbie

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I first tried the Mr Clean Magic eraser. It didn't do anything. I then tried the Chlorox full strength. It took a couple of applications and it is nearly white. I will do it again tomorrow and I'm sure it will be completely gone. One nice thing is that it did not affect the grey square line nor the green diamond pattern. Thanks for the tip and I know I will be sharing this around. (04/12/2007)

By Kathie

Teak Wood Bath Mats

Be careful of those teak bath mats as well. I bought one, had it on the bathroom floor and it created streaks where the feet touched. Looks like pee stains. To add to the fun, the bath mat is molding and the whole reason I bought this was because people said it would stay cleaner longer. The rumor mill is working overtime it seems. (06/24/2007)

By Annoyed Apartment Resident

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

The problem you are having is not from the rug being on the floor. Builders these days use lower end vinyl floors that tend to yellow when anything is laid on them, including carpets (of all types of backings), cardboard, plant pots, etc. These floors are only designed to be down for 5-7 years expecting the home owner to either want a change or to sell the house. The upper grade linoleum floors rarely have a problem of this nature. (08/22/2007)

By Brian

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

OxiClean with boiling water works very well. Just mix 1/4 cup to a gallon of very hot or boiling water. (08/31/2007)

By Angela

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

If it's linoleum that you have, then the yellowing you're seeing is due to the linseed oil (the major ingredient in linoleum) coming to the surface. The way to cure this is to simply take the rug off and expose the area to light. It could take a few hours or a few days, depending on the amount of light you can get to the affected area. Natural light works the best. Cleaning will not make the yellowing disappear. Hope that's helpful. (09/03/2007)

By ekie333

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

DO NOT BLEACH! Using full strength bleach on vinyl/linoleum floors can actually damage the floor. I used Clorox to clean up spilled chicken juice in my kitchen, and it left a dull patch on the floor. No more shine. I have tried many things to get the yellowing stain off my floor, it is permanent. (12/28/2007)

By

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I have recently heard that ammonia works to clean the yellowing linoleum. I am going to try it myself to see how well it works. (03/25/2008)

By

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I have used Johnson Floor Stripper and then resealed with High Speed Floro Finish. However, I am in the process of redoing the floor (every other year) and cannot find these products. Linoleum is not vinyl and people keep pointing me to products that are for vinyl. Good luck. (08/23/2008)

By Jeanne

Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Discolored Linoleum
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
A can of blue paint.
Painting Vinyl (or Linoleum) Flooring
Installing Vinyl Tile Over Old Linoleum Tile
🎉
🎄