Cleaning Dog Poop Stains Off a Rug

We got back from having a very nice dinner out to find that our (huge) Great Pyr had had diarrhea all over the cream colored oriental rug. No stores open and only about 2 oz of Nature's Miracle in the jug. It was about 80 degrees in the house so the smell. . .need I say more?

I looked on your site and saw all kinds of recommendations for urine but none for poop! So, after cleaning up as much as we could, I made a mixture of equal parts: white vinegar, peroxide, club soda; a few squirts of Dawn, Spray-n-Wash, and about half a capful of Tide. I added a small amount of very hot water and whisked it up until it was very thick and foamy. I used a white towel, dipped it in the mixture, squeezed it out until it was still pretty wet and rubbed the stains gently.

To my amazement, the stains came right out. I used another towel, wrung out in warm clear water to remove the suds and now, two hours later, the smell is gone. I'm tired but relieved. So, thank you everyone on this site for giving me the idea to try all of the above.

By Jamr from Malibu

Answers:

Cleaning Dog Poop Stains Off a Rug

It's never fun to come home to a surprise like that! We've had indoor animals for years and my sister-in-law told me the easiest tip for pet messes (poop, too) - hydrogen peroxide. Just clean up the mess, then pour enough peroxide over the stain to cover and leave for a few minutes. Clean up with a rag. If it's set in, it might take another try, but it always works and even gets the smell out. So simple! (06/22/2006)

By Karie

Cleaning Dog Poop Stains Off a Rug

Glad you saved your nice rug. You might want to order some "No Rinse Body Bath" for next time. After you have removed most of the solid matter, and blotted well. Then spray with solution of No Rinse, and wait. May take a few sprays, but usually stain will vanish. If dog food has a lot of food dyes then mix with the hydrogen peroxide and No Rinse (03/13/2007)

By Zuni

Cleaning Dog Poop Stains Off a Rug

I just did equal parts of white vinegar and hot water sprayed area and used a damp towel and iron on high and steam on the carpet the stains are gone. Yea!
Nicole :0) Michigan (08/28/2007)

By Nicole

Pug puppy wearing devil horns and tail costume laying with head down next to cleaning bucket with rubber gloves, sponges, and various cleaning supplies
Cleaning Dog Poop Stains Off a Rug
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
Making a Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
🎉
🎄