Cleaning Fabric Softener Buildup Inside Agitator

My fabric dispenser sits on top of my agitator. The inside of the agitator is full of an astounding amount of black gunk from the fabric softener dispenser. I have removed the agitator for cleaning, but I can't get the gunk off the inside where I can't reach. Any good ideas? Thanks.

Run the machine with no clothing using one gallon of vinegar. This cleans out the machine.

My old washer had the fabric softener on top of the agitator and I had the same problem. I started getting it the habit after giving it a real good cleaning out. I would use a washcloth with hot water before each use and wipe it all down and throw the facecloth right in that wash. After making a habit of it, it just became easy and the junk wouldn't have time to turn black or smelly! It is just a few second step before washing the clothes. I hope this helps!

does it come off? My old top loader used to and it could be taken apart to clean. Vinegar helps cut the gunk. I no longer use fabric softener for this reason. Instead, I use vinegar in place of fabric softener?

1. It seems most service repair people recommend (with agitator in place) using a cup or 2 of bleach with washer set on full load and hottest water setting.

2. Wait 30 minutes or so and then run through full cycle.

3. After this has finished run a full load with clear hot water to be sure all bleach has been removed.

4. Repeat above process only using vinegar instead of bleach.

Remember - bleach and vinegar cannot be mixed.

Also, be careful with a stainless steel drum as bleach can damage this if it sets very long (I think - more than 30 minutes).

I have had to clean my machine (after removing agitator) with a baby bottle brush and vinegar/water.

Then I decided not to use anything but liquid detergent and vinegar in my machine - no problems since then.

Good luck - don't you just love nice smelling clean clothes!!

I cleaned mine in a bucket of water and vinegar with a baby bottle brush. Then I just wash it twice a month in the kitchen sink to keep it clean.

A simple way to clean this would be to fill the dispenser with an enzyme detergent and do an ordinary wash. When the cycle has finished, open the machine and add vinegar to the dispenser, then run an extra rinse, to help clear both the dispenser and your wash of the detergent.

Use vinegar and a brush. You may want to avoid using fabric softeners as they contain harmful chemicals. Try using vinegar in the dispenser instead. It will soften as well.

Hand pouring fabric softener into washing machine compartment
Cleaning Fabric Softener Build Up from a Washer
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesDecember 27, 2016
Fabric Softener Reviews
Fabric Softener Reviews
Pink and red daisies in a clear glass vase.
Cleaning Buildup Inside a Vase
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 6:36:01 PM on 10.0.1.230 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.