Cleaning Foam Stamps

Stamps and Colored Ink
Stamping can be a lot of fun but the clean up isn't always as pleasant. Foam stamps can soak up a lot of ink and it can be difficult to remove it all. This is a guide about cleaning foam stamps.

I keep a few baby wipes handy (in a zip bag) to use when stamping to clean the surfaces before going on to a new color. The sooner you clean the stamp surface the better.

By Carol from Sidney, OH

Keep a small dish sitting close by with a rag soaked in Coke, keep it almost floating in Coke. When you are not using a stamp sit it on the rag. When you are ready to use it again, stamp it a couple times on the rag, then a few times on a clean very wet, almost floating in plain water, rag to remove the Coke and it will be like a new stamp. The Coke will eat old ink out of stamps such as deposit stamps that have been sitting around for years. It is wonderful for removing ink on stamps.

Source: A banking friend told me about this method and I have used it for years for my stamps.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

I use a shallow glass pie dish. Set a sponge of any type in the center. Do not use the scratchy side of any sponge, only the soft side. Pour warm water in the dish about half way up the sponge. I use a mild liquid soap. Place a few drops on the sponge.

I keep this on the table where I do my rubber stamping. This method is great for any type of rubber stamps. I have some that are over 30 years old and they are still in great condition.

I stamp, stamp, stamp, the rubber or foam stamp on the sponge, and rinse in the water in the dish. Keeping a large terry towel beside the pie plate filled with water; then stamp to dry.

NEVER use a scrubbing motion on any stamp, as it will cause it to get sticky, and it won't come off. The only motion to use is the up and down stamping motion.

By hopeful from Salem, OR - temporarily in TX

How do you clean foam stamps during a stamping party for reuse? Baby wipes?

Melanie from Harrisburg, PA

Most craft stores sell a spray stamp cleaner for rubber stamps. Using a cleaner other than one recommended for stamps may dry out the rubber and possibly ruin the stamps. Check the ingredients carefully, because some do contain alchohol and that will really dry out your stamps.

To save on the amount of cleaner used when when spraying each stamp I use a stamp cleaner pad which is a large pad with bristles. You spray a small amount of the stamp cleaner on the bristle pad and simply rub the stamp over the brisltes to clean. Then I blot onto a piece of plain white paper or paper towel to ensure that all the ink is off the stamp before using with another color.

Some specialty inks like those for fabric or scrapbooking may have different cleaning instruction, so I would check the instructions for cleaning methods.

Hope this helps...

-Jenna in California

Try using baby wipes