Cleaning Food Coloring Stains on Clothing

Smiling little boy with red ice pop and red coloring all around his mouth, dripping down his next and onto his white shirt
Food coloring is a common and sometimes difficult to remove clothing stain. This is a guide about cleaning food coloring stains on clothing.

A pair of white cotton pants was stained while drying. How do I remove a pink stain from gum?

you can try Magic Eraser, or hydrogen peroxide. Or a bit of bleach since they're white.

Soak overnight in 5 gallons of hot water to which you add 2T each of powdered dishwasher detergent and hydrogen perioxide.

I just washed a load of clothes and before putting them in the dryer, I noticed orange stains all over everything. It was gum, I had left a whole pack in my pocket. The gum wasn't hard to remove, but the stains won't go away.

I sprayed Shout on the stains, washed everything again, the stains are now blue! I washed everything again, nothing. Washed them again with Tide Stain Release, nothing. What in the world do I do to get the gum stains out?

By Cherie from Backwoods, TN

How do I get red food coloring out of a pink shirt?

Jan from TN

Answers:

Food Coloring Stain on Clothing

I am a preschool teacher and I was dying macaroni for a project we will be doing, and splashed neon purple and pink all over my cream colored jacket. I panicked, but managed to get it out by soaking it in warm water with liquid Tide and white distilled vinegar. Let it soak and then after 20 minutes, pour some more vinegar directly on it, and rub it with either your fingers or a scrub brush. Amazingly enough, it all came out. (03/03/2008)

By Erin

Food Coloring Stain on Clothing

I used this method on my son's car seat, the seat cushions in my car and his clothing and the vinegar works great on green and blue food coloring, not so great on purple. (06/16/2008)

By Nicole

Food Coloring Stain on Clothing

I used diluted bleach in warm water on red colouring on a white cotton top and it has worked although it was only a few drops. (09/03/2008)

By Sarah

How do I remove red food coloring from a pair of new blue jeans?

Answers:

Removing Red Food Coloring?

I used SPOT SHOT Carpet Stain Remover on some red food coloring stains on a denim skirt. I placed one paper towel inside the skirt, sprayed it on and blotted it off the fabric with another paper towel. It came right out! Then I washed and dried it as usual. I tested the product on a hidden part of the skirt first to make sure it wouldn't take the color out. The stain was more than 24 hours old. (05/14/2006)