Cleaning Grout

Dirty grout can make tiled surfaces look unsightly. Regular cleaning can remove stains, mold, and mildew. This is a guide about cleaning grout.

August 24, 2009 Flag

I can't believe how well this worked; you all know about those Magic Erasers that you can pick up really cheap at the Dollar Store; they work super-duper on black marks on the wall.

If you carry a small container of warm water with you and use those Magic Erasers on ceramic tile, and especially to clean grout between your tiles, without much elbow work at all, the grout comes clean. It is like magic.

One eraser cleaner lasted long enough, after dipping it in water to clean it out, to clean about 15-20 ceramic tiles and the grout in between. I picked up three Magic Erasers in a bundle for less than $2.00. This is a hands-and-knees job, but I have not been able to find anything that cleans grout as easily as this.

By kghornsten from Davis, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

November 9, 2010 Flag

What can I use to clean white bathroom tile? I have 3 bathrooms with white tile and it is very tiresome trying to keep the white caulk between each square tile clean. I have been using a toothbrush to scrub it, but I thought you had a better idea. Please help.

By Onesummer

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have successfully used vinegar on grout. Pour white vinegar directly onto the grout and let sit a few minutes, then use a scrub brush or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Wipe away excess with a towel. I have found that it's best to clean a small area at a time.

December 7, 2010 Flag

Any ideas on cleaning shower grout without chemicals? I've thought about using a steam cleaner, but I don't know if they really work. What is the best type?

By Carol from NH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Also, they'll last longer if you don't get them too wet.

August 11, 2010 Flag

My bathroom grout in my ceramic tile is filthy. How do I get it clean without replacing it?

By Karen from Whitelaw, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have been successful cleaning grout with a toothbrush and bleach.

May 10, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know a secret on how to clean tile grout on the bathroom floor? I have tried everything I could think of including some horrible smelling chemical I got at Lowe's. Thanks for any and all ideas.

By Gail

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Allow vinegar to soak on the tile grout by placing paper towels on the grout soaked with it. Take care to try not to leave it on the stainless steel or aluminum type drain that's in the shower, as too much exposure could pit it. It won't hurt the grout at all. After it has soaked a while, take a scrub brush or toothbrush to it. It should clean it up really well.

October 22, 2009 Flag

My entire shower is tiled, ceiling and all. There is a residue, hard water stains (?) that turns pinkish and responds to over the counter and home-made cleaners. However, the ceiling tile grout turns dark gray and nothing I've tried gets it clean.

I've already tried baking soda, Borax, Scrubbing Bubbles, Comet, BonAmi, Melaluca stuff, Brillo, and Magic Erasers. Aside from straight bleach, what else should I try? I usually look like someone from HazMat when cleaning the ceiling. I would prefer something not harmful to children and pets.

By HamptonHeron from Hampton Rds., VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you tried toilet bowl cleaner? I have used it on dark floor grout and it usually ends up at the original color. It probably has some clorine in it so be careful with eyes, especially on the ceiling.

December 27, 2012 Flag

How can I clean filthy grout on tile floors without getting on my hands and knees? I live in an old rental house that has filthy floors. I have arthritis in both knees and can't afford to hire someone to clean the floors.

By lasamons

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No need to get down on your knees. Use something like Simple Green, or like mentioned before for carpet odors salt and lemon juice in a spray bottle - anyway spray on floor. Use a broom to scrub your floor! Then mop up residue. Hope this helps!

March 10, 2010 Flag

The grouting in my bathroom is discoloured, only a year old. The tiles are white, the grouting was white and now looks yellowish. It is not a result of soap scum, etc. The grouting manufacturer says it is atmospheric conditions. Any help would be appreciated.

By Tizzyfluff from Scotland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used Clorox wipes or even baby wipes to clean the grout. It is time consuming and hard work as you have to rub the grout possibly with the help of an old toothbrush but it works.

July 6, 2012 Flag

I made the mistake of choosing a light colored grout for my ceramic floors and now they look gross and dingy. How do I restore the color to the grout and keep it from looking so dirty?

By Adriana P. from Galveston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I feel your pain. My late husband was such a spiller of coffee that I considered mopping the whole floor with coffee to make it at least consistent.

November 24, 2012 Flag

My bathroom floor tiles and grout are white. The grout is really dirty and almost black in some places. I have tried several grout cleaners. Does anyone has one that really works for this stubborn area?

By Rose

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use awesome cleaner straight out of bottle.

September 24, 2012 Flag

We have a shower that doesn't get the best ventilation, so I have a hard time keeping mildew out of the grout. It is exhausting trying to clean it. I saw a suggestion of a Clorox bleach pen. Do you think that will work? or does someone have a better idea. I'm sick of spraying bleach and scrubbing, scrubbing, scrubbing!

By Michelle P

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may need to regrout. After time, grout becomes porous and picks up mildew quickly. Once you do that, I suggest you get a squeegee (sp?) and wipe down the walls after you shower. It only takes about a minute to do all 3 walls. I use a small fan facing the shower to dry it quicker as I don't have ventilation either. This should help somewhat. My housekeeper cleans the shower walls and ceiling with Clorox Cleanup about once a month and this maintains it well.

March 28, 2012 Flag

What is the easiest way to clean kitchen grout without scrubbing?

By Sherrie P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Someone else might be able to tell you how to clean grout, but the grout in my bathroom floor was discolored, so I purchased some grout paint at Home Depot. You use a small brush to paint it on (you don't have to avoid getting it on the tiles), then immediately use a dry cloth to wipe over it, wiping the tiles, not the grout. It was fast and easy and worked great. The paint can also be used on kitchen countertops and walls and in shower stalls. It is very durable and will hold up to frequent cleaning. It comes in several colors.

February 24, 2014 Flag

The grout on my shower floor has a few black lines that don't clean out. What to do?

By Jeanne from Cortez, CO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 17, 2013 Flag

After painting old grout with concrete paint do you mop regularly using vinegar and water solution to clean ceramic tile floors?

By Alexxis F.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 3, 2010 Flag

What is the best way to clean tile and grout that is mucky?

By Marion from Parsippany, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 7, 2010 Flag

How do you effectively clean grout without harmful chemicals? Should I replace the grout in the shower?

Harold from Tallahassee

Answers:

Cleaning Grout Without Chemicals

Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Also, they'll last longer if you don't get them too wet. (09/22/2008)

By gogogirl

Cleaning Grout Without Chemicals

Vinegar and a scrub brush removes dirt in plastic tubs and cleans soap scum off of glass and leaves it crystal clear! Its easy. (09/23/2008)

By luckyonetexas

RE: Cleaning Grout Without Chemicals

Cleaning Grout Without Chemicals

Just pour cheap bleach on the grout and go enjoy yourself for about 30 minutes. I have no idea where the goo goes, but it is gone. (09/24/2008)

By Tedebear

Cleaning Grout Without Chemicals

Home Depot sells a non-toxic grout cleaner made from oranges. Spray on, wait 2 minutes, scrub clean. You'd want to seal the grout after the cleaning though to prevent the problem from reoccurring, which of course isn't going to be non-toxic. (10/05/2008)

By Sabien

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 9, 2010 Flag

How can I clean dirty floor tile grout? I've tried so many different suggestions, and really don't want to pay for professional cleaning.

By Betty from Bloomington, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Grout

I just used hydrogen peroxide on my grout, and it worked. Just put it on, let it sit for a while, scrub it with a small brush (I used a small brush used for your nails) and wipe dry. I was amazed, as it took off lots of grime left by a previous owner of our condo. (08/17/2010)

By Ginnywest

Cleaning Grout

I have successfully used vinegar on grout. Pour white vinegar directly onto the grout and let sit a few minutes, then use a scrub brush or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Wipe away excess with a towel. I have found that it's best to clean a small area at a time. (08/19/2010)

By firefly57

Cleaning Grout

Use a Mr. clean magic eraser and a toothbrush. (08/19/2010)

By Skibum1910

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 15, 2010 Flag

I am looking for information on cleaning grout.

By Jim from Sumter, SC

Answers:

Cleaning Grout

I saw on HGTV that you just mix baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and the fizziness plus HP makes the dirt absolutely disappear. You can do a large area with this method to save time. Good luck. (02/07/2010)

By fionarx

Cleaning Grout

First I started cleaning the tile with a Clorox pen. I worked hard and was not satisfied. Then I tried a grout pen to color the grout from Home Depot. Finding it expensive because each pen ran out quickly, I had the bright idea to use white shoe polish and an eyeshadow wan to color in the white grout. It worked and my bathroom had a facelift. It has been months now and the bathroom still looks good. Mopping did not effect it, I was surprised. Worked for me. (04/25/2010)

By aurwtk

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 11, 2010 Flag

I live in an older apartment and the grout between the tile is really dirty. Is there an effective way to clean this without completely re-grouting? Thanks in advance!

By Ginn from Tuscaloosa, AL

Answers:

Cleaning Dingy Grout

Have you tried bleach? (06/06/2010)

By sharikae

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 3, 2010 Flag

After years of searching for something that cleans my ceramic tile pores and grout with no luck, I finally found a solution! I bought the spray cleaner Tuff Stuff from the dollar store for about $2.50 for a big can, sprayed it on, waited about five minutes and everything came off. The grout, the tile, all of it was clean.

You have to understand, I have had ceramic tile for 10 years and it looked bad because nothing could get into the uneven surface of the tile and get those specks of dirt out. The grout never came clean either.

After my floors looked like new, I tried it on my ceramic tile counter tops and they too look new. I made sure to rinse my counter tops thoroughly after cleaning them. Because my tiles had 10 years of stains, I had to use a toothbrush in some places, but it was so worth it. My floors are my pride and joy now.

By worksmart from WV

Answers:

Cleaning Grout and Tile

I was "introduced" to Tuff Stuff about 10 years ago by my uncle. He had a vehicle that needed old coffee stains (on med. grey interior) cleaned up. Also, some pet stains. Well all I could say at the time was wow! It made me a believer. To this day I use it on my own home carpets for spot cleaning, car interior, and bathroom and kitchen cleaning. The best stuff is Tuff Stuff! PS. Dollar General is the best price I've seen. (06/07/2010)

By peggyseitz

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 6, 2010 Flag

To clean dingy grout, use the new "White Out" which has a small sponge brush. It's ideal for grout lines and puts a waterproof seal over your grout, which will last a long time.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 3, 2010 Flag

How do I clean bathroom grout and tiles?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 27, 2010 Flag

Is there any easy way to clean grout? It tool me 2 hours to clean an 8 ft. x 6 ft. section, on my hand and knees with scrub brush and bleach. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 14, 2009 Flag

What is the best way to clean grout?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 20, 2009 Flag

How do you clean white grout on a tile floor and is there anyway to re-grout in a darker color?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 29, 2006 Flag

I have white tile floors with white grout. The grout is very dirty. I have tried several different cleaning materials for grout but none work very well.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 29, 2005 Flag

Can anyone tell me what to use to clean grout. I have porcelain tile floors in my kitchen and dining room, and the grouting is dirty and stained.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceSeptember 13, 2011
A handyman replacing floor grout.
Floor Grout Keeps Cracking
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 2:18:27 PM on 10.0.1.151 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.