Cleaning Grout

Dirty grout can make tiled surfaces look unsightly. Regular cleaning can remove stains, mold, and mildew. This is a guide about cleaning grout.

Someone cleaning tile grout with a toothbrush.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 9, 2010 Flag

What can I use to clean white bathroom tile? I have 3 bathrooms with white tile and it is very tiresome trying to keep the white caulk between each square tile clean. I have been using a toothbrush to scrub it, but I thought you had a better idea. Please help.

By Onesummer

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Don't clean it. Paint it. Go to the hardware store in the tub and tile section. They have paint in a bottle that has a roller on it. I think it worked great. And it stayed on a long time.

Read More Answers...

December 7, 2010 Flag

Any ideas on cleaning shower grout without chemicals? I've thought about using a steam cleaner, but I don't know if they really work. What is the best type?

By Carol from NH

Best Answer

I've heard that Home Depot, and probably regular hardware stores like ACE, sell a non-toxic citrus grout cleaner.

Read More Answers...

August 11, 2010 Flag

My bathroom grout in my ceramic tile is filthy. How do I get it clean without replacing it?

By Karen from Whitelaw, WI

Best Answer

Ammonia. Dilute it and spray it on. Let it sit for a half hour or so then scrub with a brush. You can even use Windex. This will work better than bleach or anything else I've tried, with much less scrubbing. The ammonia lifts the oils from the grout.

Read More Answers...

May 10, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know a secret on how to clean tile grout on the bathroom floor? I have tried everything I could think of including some horrible smelling chemical I got at Lowe's. Thanks for any and all ideas.

By Gail

Best Answer

Allow vinegar to soak on the tile grout by placing paper towels on the grout soaked with it. Take care to try not to leave it on the stainless steel or aluminum type drain that's in the shower, as too much exposure could pit it. It won't hurt the grout at all. After it has soaked a while, take a scrub brush or toothbrush to it. It should clean it up really well.

Read More Answers...

August 24, 2009 Flag

I can't believe how well this worked; you all know about those Magic Erasers that you can pick up really cheap at the Dollar Store; they work super-duper on black marks on the wall.

If you carry a small container of warm water with you and use those Magic Erasers on ceramic tile, and especially to clean grout between your tiles, without much elbow work at all, the grout comes clean. It is like magic.

One eraser cleaner lasted long enough, after dipping it in water to clean it out, to clean about 15-20 ceramic tiles and the grout in between. I picked up three Magic Erasers in a bundle for less than $2.00. This is a hands-and-knees job, but I have not been able to find anything that cleans grout as easily as this.

By kghornsten from Davis, CA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 27, 2012 Flag

How can I clean filthy grout on tile floors without getting on my hands and knees? I live in an old rental house that has filthy floors. I have arthritis in both knees and can't afford to hire someone to clean the floors.

By lasamons

No need to get down on your knees. Use something like Simple Green, or like mentioned before for carpet odors salt and lemon juice in a spray bottle - anyway spray on floor. Use a broom to scrub your floor! Then mop up residue. Hope this helps!

October 22, 2009 Flag

My entire shower is tiled, ceiling and all. There is a residue, hard water stains (?) that turns pinkish and responds to over the counter and home-made cleaners. However, the ceiling tile grout turns dark gray and nothing I've tried gets it clean.

I've already tried baking soda, Borax, Scrubbing Bubbles, Comet, BonAmi, Melaluca stuff, Brillo, and Magic Erasers. Aside from straight bleach, what else should I try? I usually look like someone from HazMat when cleaning the ceiling. I would prefer something not harmful to children and pets.

By HamptonHeron from Hampton Rds., VA

Hi I clean my bathroom tile grout with toothpaste spread on to an old toothbrush if you have a large area to cover then spread toothpaste onto a soft bristle scrubbing brush. Let me know what worked the best. Good luck, Helen

Read More Answers...

March 10, 2010 Flag

The grouting in my bathroom is discoloured, only a year old. The tiles are white, the grouting was white and now looks yellowish. It is not a result of soap scum, etc. The grouting manufacturer says it is atmospheric conditions. Any help would be appreciated.

By Tizzyfluff from Scotland

Our Dollar Store in America makes a cleaning product called Tuff Stuff. Its in the automotive section. If you have a dollar store in your area, run, dont walk and grab yourself a couple of cans of it. You will be glad you did. Spray it on, wait 5 minutes and wipe it off. It will clean the grout and the tile. If the stains are stubborn, use an old toothbrush. I'm telling you, it works. Does great on carpets too.

Read More Answers...

July 6, 2012 Flag

I made the mistake of choosing a light colored grout for my ceramic floors and now they look gross and dingy. How do I restore the color to the grout and keep it from looking so dirty?

By Adriana P. from Galveston, TX

I do professional floor cleaning for a living and the biggest mistake I find is people using homemade recipes. Yea I know it works, so people say but being in the business as long as I have I can see the damage to the tile & grout from using household products. Usually bleach, vinegar, pine -sol etc. Pro -long use can cause damage to the tile and grout. Even with the powerful equipment I have in some cases I have had to tell the client they will have to buy new flooring from using these products. Don't let this happen to you.

Answer to your question. If you cannot afford a professional. There are products at you local hardware chains that sell cleaners designed for cleaning tile and grout. Follow the directions and always test an area. If you get the results you need maintain your tile and grout with a neutral cleaner or just plain water. Good luck.

What does bleach and vinegar do to tile and grout?

Bleach is an acidic product that should not be used to clean ceramic tile floors. Bleach will break down the grout and also cause the colored cements in the grout to wear away. Bleach will literally bleach away the color in the grout. Eventually the grout will start to loose its deep rich colors and also cause your grout to look splotchy.

Vinegar is an acidic product that was never meant to be used to clean ceramic tile and grout. Prolonged use of vinegar will eat away at the grout and cause the grout to break down. Additionally vinegar is difficult to totally rinse away after using it to clean ceramic tile floors. A vinegar residue will start to accumulate inside of the grout that is extremely difficult to remove.

Read More Answers...

November 24, 2012 Flag

My bathroom floor tiles and grout are white. The grout is really dirty and almost black in some places. I have tried several grout cleaners. Does anyone has one that really works for this stubborn area?

By Rose

I use awesome cleaner straight out of bottle.

September 24, 2012 Flag

We have a shower that doesn't get the best ventilation, so I have a hard time keeping mildew out of the grout. It is exhausting trying to clean it. I saw a suggestion of a Clorox bleach pen. Do you think that will work? or does someone have a better idea. I'm sick of spraying bleach and scrubbing, scrubbing, scrubbing!

By Michelle P

You may need to regrout. After time, grout becomes porous and picks up mildew quickly. Once you do that, I suggest you get a squeegee (sp?) and wipe down the walls after you shower. It only takes about a minute to do all 3 walls. I use a small fan facing the shower to dry it quicker as I don't have ventilation either. This should help somewhat. My housekeeper cleans the shower walls and ceiling with Clorox Cleanup about once a month and this maintains it well.

March 28, 2012 Flag

What is the easiest way to clean kitchen grout without scrubbing?

By Sherrie P.

Someone else might be able to tell you how to clean grout, but the grout in my bathroom floor was discolored, so I purchased some grout paint at Home Depot. You use a small brush to paint it on (you don't have to avoid getting it on the tiles), then immediately use a dry cloth to wipe over it, wiping the tiles, not the grout. It was fast and easy and worked great. The paint can also be used on kitchen countertops and walls and in shower stalls. It is very durable and will hold up to frequent cleaning. It comes in several colors.

December 7, 2010 Flag

How do you effectively clean grout without harmful chemicals? Should I replace the grout in the shower?

Harold from Tallahassee

Answers:

Cleaning Grout Without Chemicals

Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Also, they'll last longer if you don't get them too wet. (09/22/2008)

By gogogirl

Cleaning Grout Without Chemicals

Vinegar and a scrub brush removes dirt in plastic tubs and cleans soap scum off of glass and leaves it crystal clear! Its easy. (09/23/2008)

By luckyonetexas

RE: Cleaning Grout Without Chemicals

Cleaning Grout Without Chemicals

Just pour cheap bleach on the grout and go enjoy yourself for about 30 minutes. I have no idea where the goo goes, but it is gone. (09/24/2008)

By Tedebear

Cleaning Grout Without Chemicals

Home Depot sells a non-toxic grout cleaner made from oranges. Spray on, wait 2 minutes, scrub clean. You'd want to seal the grout after the cleaning though to prevent the problem from reoccurring, which of course isn't going to be non-toxic. (10/05/2008)

By Sabien

November 9, 2010 Flag

How can I clean dirty floor tile grout? I've tried so many different suggestions, and really don't want to pay for professional cleaning.

By Betty from Bloomington, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Grout

I just used hydrogen peroxide on my grout, and it worked. Just put it on, let it sit for a while, scrub it with a small brush (I used a small brush used for your nails) and wipe dry. I was amazed, as it took off lots of grime left by a previous owner of our condo. (08/17/2010)

By Ginnywest

Cleaning Grout

I have successfully used vinegar on grout. Pour white vinegar directly onto the grout and let sit a few minutes, then use a scrub brush or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Wipe away excess with a towel. I have found that it's best to clean a small area at a time. (08/19/2010)

By firefly57

Cleaning Grout

Use a Mr. clean magic eraser and a toothbrush. (08/19/2010)

By Skibum1910

August 15, 2010 Flag

I am looking for information on cleaning grout.

By Jim from Sumter, SC

Answers:

Cleaning Grout

I saw on HGTV that you just mix baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and the fizziness plus HP makes the dirt absolutely disappear. You can do a large area with this method to save time. Good luck. (02/07/2010)

By fionarx

Cleaning Grout

First I started cleaning the tile with a Clorox pen. I worked hard and was not satisfied. Then I tried a grout pen to color the grout from Home Depot. Finding it expensive because each pen ran out quickly, I had the bright idea to use white shoe polish and an eyeshadow wan to color in the white grout. It worked and my bathroom had a facelift. It has been months now and the bathroom still looks good. Mopping did not effect it, I was surprised. Worked for me. (04/25/2010)

By aurwtk

August 11, 2010 Flag

I live in an older apartment and the grout between the tile is really dirty. Is there an effective way to clean this without completely re-grouting? Thanks in advance!

By Ginn from Tuscaloosa, AL

Answers:

Cleaning Dingy Grout

Have you tried bleach? (06/06/2010)

By sharikae

August 3, 2010 Flag

After years of searching for something that cleans my ceramic tile pores and grout with no luck, I finally found a solution!

June 6, 2010 Flag

To clean dingy grout, use the new "White Out" which has a small sponge brush. It's ideal for grout lines and puts a waterproof seal over your grout, which will last a long time.

June 3, 2010 Flag

How do I clean bathroom grout and tiles?

January 27, 2010 Flag

Is there any easy way to clean grout? It tool me 2 hours to clean an 8 ft. x 6 ft. section, on my hand and knees with scrub brush and bleach. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

July 14, 2009 Flag

What is the best way to clean grout?

March 20, 2009 Flag

How do you clean white grout on a tile floor and is there anyway to re-grout in a darker color?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceSeptember 13, 2011
A handyman replacing floor grout.
Floor Grout Keeps Cracking
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 27, 2016 at 8:44:21 AM on 10.0.0.43 in 778 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.