Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I am looking for tips for cleaning hardwood floors.

Tom from Whitewater

Answers:

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I use an upright steamer similar to the Shark, but bigger. (03/03/2009)

By mountainbrd

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I'd use Murphy's Oil soap and clean them on my hands and knees with a damp rag. Don't get the wood too wet. Keep your rag on the dry side.

I have old fashioned hardwood floors that I keep clean by swiping a Swiffer over the floors about once a week. If there is a lot of grit, I use the vacuum cleaner. But a wet wipe from Dollar Tree on the Swiffer is the best cleaning utensil I have found.

Good luck. (03/04/2009)

By Carol in PA

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

The best tip I have is more for not leaving streaks and that is to wash the floor in the direction of the wood. Don't wash across the pieces of wood, run your mop lengthwise along the wood. (03/04/2009)

By PICO

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I've been told by flooring people to not use water on wood, as it eventually dries out the wood. We vacuum, but realistically you have to use a little water at times. Just use a dry cloth to wipe it up soon after applying it. (05/28/2009)

By Allison5

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I know the frustration of trying to find the right cleaner for your wood floors. I found that my floor manufacturer recommended "Bruce hardwood and laminate floor cleaner". No rinsing, no residue. Use a microfiber mop. It smells really clean and leaves your floor beautiful. You won't be disappointed. You can buy it at any floor or home improvement store. (06/26/2009)

By sunnee

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

My installer recommended using Windex to clean my dark cherry hardwood floors. It works great. When I have tried cleaners designed for hardwood floors, I usually end up with cloudy residue. He also said to wet them as little as possible. (09/06/2009)

By Regina

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Found that the streaky, white film on our hardwood floors was the buildup of cleaning products we previously used on our floors (Orange Hardwood Floor, Murphy's cleaner, etc.)

After an afternoon of my husband and I on our hands and knees scrubbing our floors, they are now back to the original finish. We used 1/2 cup of ammonia in 1 gallon of warm water (pretest) and scrubbing with a microfiber cloth could actually see the residue coming off. Although it does not come off easily.

Now I will use nothing, but my shark steamer or Windex. (11/22/2009)

By TERRI51

Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Guilty Basset Hound with muddy feet and a trail of muddy paw prints
Cleaning Dog Prints from Hardwood Floors
Hand wiping white residue off wooden floor
Cleaning Haze on Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄