Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Does anyone know a solution to use to clean hardwood floors? The floors are sealed. I have smudge marks all over them from attempting to clean them with Pledge for hardwood floors.

Susie from Hammonton, NJ

Answers:

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I tried the cleaner from Palmetto Floors and it cleaned without streaks or a mess. I actually used a mixture of ammonia and water to remove the film before hand and after cleaning with the Palmetto Floors cleaner, it turned out great. I bought a bottle of polish from them too because it is supposed to enrich the shine of polyurethane floors when the lose it. We will see.

(02/12/2009)

By Janice

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

All I can say is Bona. Bona floor system is the best. Same thing happen to me with a similar orange glow product called Rejuvenique. Too shiny, so I tried to remove it with vinegar and water, what a nightmare. There was white film all over.

I usually use the Bona System. I will never stray from it again. Go to the website to learn how to use it properly. It can be expensive, but so worth it. I use the cleaner for wood floors all the time, but I used the Refresher to fix the mess that Rejuvenique caused, and my floors look so great. They're not glossy, but have a natural sheen. Love it. Hallelujah! Follow the directions on the web site. They have a video. You can get the Bona mop and products at Bed Bath and Beyond, Ace Hardware, etc. It is a greener product too. Water based poly. Good Luck all. (02/16/2009)

By Lindsay

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Bamboo and hardwood floor cleaning

My wife and I recently had bamboo floors installed (mocha dark brown) and we have tried some of everything mentioned on this blog from vinegar and water, to Windex and Bruce hardwood cleaner. The floors had a gray haze and a smudgy buildup that would not go away. I eventually tried Glass Plus and it did the job for us. It took practically 6-8 hours on my hands, knees and buttocks, since the majority of our downstairs is bamboo flooring, but the look we paid for is back! It was a 2 step process however.

I sprayed the Glass Plus in small areas and wiped with a shop towel (a little thicker than a regular paper towel) and before the Windex completely dried, I wiped the area with a dry microfiber towel. The microfiber towel will eventually become damp and that is okay, still gets the job done. The wifey was very excited when she arrived home and saw the final result! Now that I have the floors back to normal, I plan to maintain simple upkeep and use the BONA hardwood cleaner maybe every 2-3 months to rejuvenate the luster. (02/18/2009)

By timtation

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

We had black streaks on our satin finished cypress wood floor (it is not supposed to be shiny finish). So my husband cleaned it with a magic eraser (big mistake!). Now the floor has streaks. I have tried a lot of different things but will try the Windex and ammonia to see if they can help. Any other ideas? Normally I love magic erasers, but please, please don't ever use on your wood floor. (02/19/2009)

By Rachel A.

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Vinegar and water. Make sure to get the water up right away. A damp mop is the best.

(02/28/2009)

By Gayle

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

The installer suggested I clean my hardwood floors with a dust mop and Windex. It works great, but the Windex much go on the mop not the floor. (03/02/2009)

By B

Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Guilty Basset Hound with muddy feet and a trail of muddy paw prints
Cleaning Dog Prints from Hardwood Floors
Wooden floor being mopped
Cleaning and Preventing Streaks on Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄