Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I recently washed and dried a pen in a my husband's pants pocket. Needless to say, the dryer was filled with spots of ink. A friend suggested, I soak some all white towels in bleach, ring them out, and run the dryer through a cycle or two. It was like magic! The ink had virtually disappeared, and the towels were also spotless. Amazing. A real elbow grease saver.

Source: A smart friend.

By Wildmoonchild from Mountaindale, NY

Answers:

Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Amazing! Saved my life. Thank you. I also found that using nail polish remover worked pretty good too! (10/19/2009)

By lindsmarie

Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I tried Aqua Net hairspray with no luck. So I tried nail polish remover (mine contained acetone) and scrubbed. Most came out except the more concentrated stains, or at least diminished. I wiped out the dryer with a soap/water solution. I then soaked some towels in a bleach solution and placed in drawer for a cycle. It took out all remaining ink stains. It was great and didn't take long. (11/22/2009)

By jmscott45

Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Okay, to all of those who have made this messy mistake as I did.

I tried everything listed on this page from Magic Eraser to Non-Acetone to Scrubby Bubbles etc. The only thing (and I mean only thing) that worked is bleached, drenched white towels with a bit of water added to them thrown into the dryer on high for probably 3-4 hot cycles. I mean it's the only thing, and mine was only 2 days old in the dryer drum. Let me also mention that the bleach residue is left behind both in the filter as well as dryer, so you'll have to wipe it clean again and again. And as for your white towels, throw them out as they seem to fall apart from the toxic bleaching chemicals. Don't waste your time or money on all of the other things mentioned if you have as much ink as I did in your dryer, just do the bleached soaked white towels. Incidentally I used 4 large towels. I guess it's cheaper to replace the towels then the dryer.

Moral of this story: Check each and every pocket before washing! (11/30/2009)

By ljnteeth

Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer
Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🎄