Cleaning Leather Car Seats

Category Leather
Leather Car Seats
Daily usage increases the possibilities of your car seats being subjected to spills, a variety of stains, and and other dirt and smudges. This is a guide about cleaning leather car seats.

I used the Tana leather shampoo for the rear seat of my BMW. No signs of residual rust yet several other products had failed before. Tana is made in Australia but should be available elsewhere.

How can I get gum off of a leather seat in my car?

Tammy from FL

I woud try freezing the gum first with ice or another implement which will not wet the leather .

Once frozen you should you should be able to pick it off with your finger nail.

Hope this works! I've done this to remove gum in many "sticky" spots. Good luck

I'd be afraid to pick the frozen gum off the leather--it might take the color/finish off the leather. What about using the leather cream since oily stuff (mayonaise, peanut butter, etc.) is good for removing gum from hair, etc.

I tried the baby oil, and the ice pack, and after almost 10 minutes of hard work thought about something else.

I put very hot water in a nylon pack, and only 30 seconds after placing them on the gum, is completely dissolved! It even partially came out with the bag. 2 minutes later I was done.

Judging from this effect, against the common advice, I'd bet chicken soup causes cancer.:)

I would try using a product called Goo Gone first(can't do any harm to your leather seat) it also works great for removing old stickers on your windshield and much more.

I tried metaholics' advice of using the hot water. it really worked! I didn't have a nylon bag, but I boiled some water and used an old towel/rag. I laid the rag on the seat, poured a small amount the the boiling water on, left it for about 30 seconds. (Iput on my rubber dish gloves so I could hold the rag and scrub). with a little rubbing, it came off. I think the heat melts it enough to where it's soft enough to come off. Thanks !!!

I found scotch tape worked well on my leather seat (also highly endorsed by a Lamborgini owner.) Just treat it like you're waxing... ;o

I found that if you spray some armour all on the gum and let that sit for about 30 seconds and then scratch the gum off with your finger nail it won't damage the leather or take much of your time!

I have leather seats in my new car. I also have a 3 year old!
A red crayon was left on the back seat and melted all over the leather seat (I live in Florida).

How do I get it off safely? Thanks!
Teressa

This will be easy since leather has a smoother surface than fabric.

First, use a butter knife to scrape off as much wax as you can.

Now get a paper towel and turn on an iron to low. Fold the towel twice so it has 4 layers. Place the paper towel over the crayon and iron until the wax melts. If wax is not melting, turn up the iron one notch. Do not turn it on high, it might scorch your leather.

Continue to use a new section of paper towel each time you iron the spot. Iron with paper towel until crayon is gone. When all wax is removed, the crayon may leave a dark mark on the leather. It is not possible to get this dark mark off, you must buy new seats. Consider using seat covers next time.

This method works with wax on most any surface including carpet.

The dark spot left on the seat after you remove the wax is the grease from the crayon. I have removed grease spots from my leather couches with baking soda. Apply liberally and rub into the spot, you may need to repeat several times.

Did it work? my brand new car...two months old has black leather with orange melted crayon. I'm scared to try anything. Teresa I live in Florida too...did it work?

Check out crayolas website they have suggestions that involve wd-40. Also check out Amodex it's supposed to remove just about anything including ink

I haven't tried it yet but I am thinking of putting ice (covered in a plastic bag) over the melted crayon and seeing if when it gets cold I can scrape as much as possible off. I'll let you know if it works.

I had a crayon stain on my leather seats rubbed in by a car seat. The iron trick didn't work for me, however I had some Armorall Leather Wipes and in two minutes it was gone!

my 2 yr old colored my beige sofa with crayons.

how to get off?

please respond to tupperware AT otelco.net

thanks

I accidently left a few newspaper ads on my leather seat in my car, baking in the hot sun. I have tried everything and nothing works including after shave, alchohol, nail polish remover, bleach. I am desperate. I have the ads permanently on my seat. Please help get my new car back! Thank you in advance. Christine

Have you tried oil? Like baby oil or almond oil (sold at health food stores)? I don't know, it may work. Also you might want to call the manufacturer for cleaning ideas. Beyond that I am stumped. What a shame if your seats are ruined! I hope something will work for you!

Try using hairspray the cheaper the better, spray on heavily and wipe it off with a hot damp cloth. If that doesn't work try leather shoe cleaner and if that doesn't work try using Dawn dishwashing liquid. If nothing works take it to the car dealer where you purchased it. They have all kinds of cleaning tricks to make cars look new again.

try mr clean dry erasers... i used it on my leather seats to get concrete dust off them, that stuff was horrible, i also use them on the steering wheel and the blinker cause my husband gets them so dirty and nothing else took off the concrete dye dust...

I accidentially got newspaper ink on my new beige colored suede leather jacket as we were driving through the city looking for a new apartment with the newspaper on my lap. Any thoughts on how to remove? Thank you.

The ink from the paper has penetrated into the leather. Rubbing to try and remove will only harm the finish and rmove the color... You need a Pro... heres a few things you can try...

1.) Call a dealer and get the name of their leather tech. They can redye the area to match.

2.) http://mobileleatherservice.com check some of the links here ...(ads to the right... I saw something that may work.

3.) sometimes pep boys has vinly spray colors that might match for a do it yourself job..

My 4 year old daughter accidentally wrote a long line on my friend's car leather gray seat. She used a purple RoseArt bold washable marker. I feel so badly since I'm the adult and I feel responsible. It happened 3 days ago and she only found out this afternoon. She said she'll bring it to the professional cleaner and will let me know. How else could we remove the mark? I will appreciate any help. Thank you.

By cellyn from Las Vegas, NV

What is the best way to clean leather car seats?

By LeftyCC from FL

What can I use to clean the leather in my car? It is starting to crack and is somewhat soiled. I have tried to clean the leather, but it does not work. Thank you.

Irene

By Irene from Topeka, KS

How do I remove grease from leather car seats?

By Curtis from Lake Alfred, FL

How to best clean beige leather car seats?

By Mary from Huntington, IN

How do you remove tar from leather car seats?

JP from San Diego

I have grass stains on car leather seats.

Thanks,
Tom