Cleaning Leather Furniture

Leather furniture is an expensive investment. Using the wrong cleaning methods can shorten its life span. This guide is about cleaning leather furniture.

Cleaning Leather Furniture
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

How is the best way to clean a leather recliner chair? The chair is beige in colour and looks very grubby.

By Carolyn from Sydney, NSW

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use Castile soap to clean the leather, it is very mild and doesn't dry it out or have any silicone or waxes to damage it. Don't use saddle soap unless your furniture is as tough as a saddle, this will only damage fine leather. There are also very few leathers that need to be "conditioned" just cleaned regularly.

Best Answer

I am on my second Leather 3 piece suite because after cleaning my old chesterfield suite for 15 years, 1 decided that it was time for a change for a new one, That was 3 years ago, I gave it to a friend who was well pleased with it. Because it still looked brand new, and through the years all I used to clean was a spot of washing up liquid in warm water. Put cloth in and wring out and just use damp. Then let dry and use either a good leather cleaner or leather wipes. Micro cloths are very good to get grease, etc. off just use it damp. This is tried and tested.

Read More Answers...

I desperately need help trying to get my furniture cleaned. I have Italian Leather which is similar to suede and I have spoken with several cleaning companies and no one is sure how to clean it and the company ELRAN states for me to contact a professional. Is there anyone out there that can give a clue on what to do or who to contact to clean my furniture?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You must have an unfinished or nubuck leather. If you have a build up of oil and soil. A cleaning even from someone that knows what they are doing will not be able to fully restore your piece. They can however; clean it as well as possible and re-protect the leather to slow the aging and soil build up. You need a pro leather repair and restoration company. You can also check out some of the ads on this sight. But be careful what you attempt to clean this leather with.

Read More Answers...

My distressed leather couch and love seat look very dry. I have used several brands of leather conditioner, but no help. I just want that supple look back in it. Any ideas of conditioners?

By BM from OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you tried Armor All original protectant, I used this on my leather couch and it looked great.

My leather furniture has a lot of tiny scrapes and looks dingy. What do I use to bring it back to life again?

By Joe

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would fill in the scrapes with same color shoe polish & wax. Then perhaps the whole thing needs some leather balm.

To buff the leather seats of dining room chairs. After cleaning the leather with saddle soap I use a hand mixer to buff them. I wrap a soft cloth around one of the beaters. Low speed. The leather looks great.

By Alexis

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Any suggestions on cleaning leather sofas?

Heleen from Palm Bay, FL

Mild Baby Wipes

I use baby wipes with no alcohol on my leather furniture and it works quite well.

By Jane

Check Your Leather Type

Before you do anything check to see what kind of cleaning code it has. I have a "NAKED" leather set. It is like the leather of a bomber jacket. It has only been dyed but has no sheen or chemical shine to it. These CAN NOT be cleaned with any cleaner. They are supposed to develop a Patina look. If your couch has a shine to it you are probably safe but you should still find out what type of leather it is and what it's cleaning code is. All leathers have cleaning codes.

By Andjerm

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureJuly 6, 2011
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Man's hands cleaning a leather couch.
Leather Furniture Cleaner Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 26, 2016 at 8:14:17 AM on 10.0.2.26 in 860 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.