Cleaning Lovebugs Off a Car and Windshield

What is the best way to clean lovebugs off an auto and windshield? Also, how can you best keep them out of your home?

Sharon

Answers:

I don't know how to keep them out of your house but you can clean them off your car with WD-40. Just spray it on and around the bugs, let sit for a few minutes, and they should wipe right off. (09/14/2005)

By sjackie2000

I know you're asking for a remedy and I really don't have one. Maybe it`s because I have no idea what "lovebugs" are. Are they big? small? Do they sting? bite? I`m curious. Maybe we have them here but know them by another name (09/16/2005)

By Mairmie

The best way to get lovebugs off your car is to use WD 40 Spray on car and let sit for a few minutes and use a netted sponge or some sort of scrubber that wont damage the paint, just wash with soap and water as you normally would. The only downside is you have to wash the car two times one with the WD 40 to get the bugs off and another to wash off the WD 40. But it's worth it and believe me it works! (09/21/2005)

By Mandy

I use Windex (or any other glass cleaner) mixed with some dish washing liquid. I mix the two together, at any amount, I just guess, but more Windex than detergent or else too many suds. I spray on the car and windows and they come off in a snap. I let sit for a couple of minutes and they are no trouble at all to get off. (09/24/2005)

By JMD

To clean lovebugs off car, use a bounce dryer sheet just wipes them right off (09/27/2005)

By Sarah

Lovebugs are little soft bodied flying bugs. We have them here in FL. They come out twice a year. I heard they are attracted by auto fumes, that is why they are so plentiful on the country roads. (10/10/2005)

By Lorraine

As a recent transplant to S.E. Georgia, I am experiencing my first encounter with "lovebugs". I had a local old-timer suggest, after cleaning the lovebugs from the hood, grill and bumper of my car, I should spray the front of my car with Pam Cooking Spray to make my subsequent cleanings, easier. I'm going to give it a try. (09/24/2006)

By Gwyn

Thought I was the only one that used the WD-40! It works. (09/26/2006)

By deb

WD-40 does not work.. I just wanted everyone to know .
(10/02/2006)

By Diarmuid C

Just use bug and tar remover. You can get it at Target or Walmart. It works the best. You have to let it sit for a couple of minutes. (05/06/2007)

By Jake.

Johnson's Baby Shampoo...just put it on with a sponge or cloth and wash your car...no effort...they are GONE..be sure to rinse thoroughly! (05/26/2007)

By dfraser

Do not use PAM. It ruins your paint job---ask body shop (the grease gets into the paint) (05/29/2007)

By oldole

I have found warm water and baking soda used with a bug sponge will dissolve them. Don't forget to thank good ol' U.F. for them! (05/29/2007)

By Vren44

Lovebugs were not invented at UF. They do not sting or bite.

http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/hot_topics/environment/lovebugs.html (05/29/2007)

By

I do know after you have removed them a good trick to make it easy to remove the next time is to use Rain-x on all windows and apply to the trouble spots on you car even painted areas also the bumper. I have done this and they come right off my car. I have coated the whole front of my car, the bumper and all. Works like a charm. And no it has not messed up the paint if nothing else it is the brightest wax I have seen. LOL (05/29/2007)

By Barbara

Dryer sheets are the best, just get the car wet with the hose and rub a dryer sheet (Bounce, etc) over the bumper, windshield and grill and they come right off without any waiting or elbow grease. Safe for car also. (05/31/2007)

By lisa

Just used dryer sheets on the front of my truck and it worked really well.( Hands are softer too) (06/01/2007)

By hd02fatboy

I have found that a product called Grease Lightning works well spray it on let sit for a few minutes and watch the love bugs turn to brown slime rinse with car wash soap and your good to go (06/06/2007)

By Bob J

I found a product called LoveBug Wipes. They are for your car's paint and windshield. They are in some convenience stores down here around Gainesville, but you can go to http://www.lovebugwipes.com and buy them as well. They work pretty good on newly hit lovebugs, and leave a film that makes the paint job slick. (08/14/2007)

By ebk1967

I talked with paint and body guy about the dryer sheets. He told me that they will work but dryer sheets are made of polyester or a plastic, not cotton, so he said that if used enough or scrubbed hard enough, the plastic "fibers" will rub through your clear coat and you'll see it. I'm still using the lovebug wipes, they work fine. (08/31/2007)

By Eric

Non sudsing Ammonia, cheap, effective. Use full strength on a sponge or brush. 20% strength with water in the wiper fluid is also very good. Smells, but works.
(09/30/2007)

By Jim.

Dryer sheets work pretty well, but I put a THIN coat of vaseline prior to bug season on trouble spots such as the bumper, side-view mirrors etc. (05/03/2008)

By BraneDmg

Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎉
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 8, 2016 at 6:25:49 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 945 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.