Everyone was so helpful to me regarding my last request for cleaning my wood cabinets, I have a new request. My microwave is situated over my stove so when I cook or fry it splashes to the microwave. I clean the front of the microwave. with glass cleaner it shines the glass front but it does nothing to remove the grease spots left from frying...no matter what I use those little grease spots are always left behind and makes my microwave. look dirty even though I clean it down after each time I cook. HELP. What can I do use or do to get rid of those nasty little grease spots.
Maybe some baking soda with some gentle rubbing might do it. (03/03/2005)
"Elbow Grease" as my mom would say! Use a scouring pad or a rag with Soft Scrub. Maybe you could somehow attach some aluminum foil to the bottom of the microwave when frying and remove it when you are done. Also, I have seen grease spatter prevention lids that allow steam to escape but keep the grease from spattering. (03/03/2005)
I heard that spraying WD40 on it and wiping off would work on overhead fan so why not on a microwave? (03/03/2005)
By Donna Marie
"elbow grease" is always the fun way, but I prefer to use a cleaning product called Mean Green. (you can purchase at wal-mart or dollar general.) any who, just spray it on, undiluted, full strength, let it sit for a minute or two and scrub it off with a sponge (03/03/2005)
Elbow grease and a microfibre cloth will remove the initial goop. Afterward, wipe daily with a damp microfibre cloth. (03/03/2005)
Try Wd-40. Someone told me about this trick and I was so dubious, but it worked beautifully. I was ready to pitch my vent hood and microwave over my stove from the built-up grease on the top and in the vents, and with one application it was removed. After applying, I waited for about 30 seconds and wiped it off with a clean, soft cloth. I re-applied to make sure I had it all, and I did. That was almost five years of grease gunk build-up. I KNOW this works, and with no "elbow grease"! (03/04/2005)
I believe "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"... therefore, why not invest in one of those screens with a handle that fit over the skillet. They wash up just fine in the dishwasher. (03/04/2005)
Have you tried ammonia? No water with it but just ammonia on a cloth. (03/04/2005)
I use a natural citrus based cleaner that eats right through it. There are a few available now. (03/04/2005)
I also have a microwave over my stove. When using the stove top, most of the time I am cooking something that steams, ex. - vegetables, pasta, tea kettle. The steam usually steams up under the microwave and towards the front. I have a exhaust fan but sometimes I purposely don't use it so I can take advantage of the steamed up area and wipe off any residue from cooking. (03/04/2005)
The best thing I've found for caked-on grease is Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, sold in the laundry aisle. It cuts through every kind of dirt and cleans everything. Do wear gloves though. While nontoxic, washing soda is very drying to the skin. And avoid frying food whenever possible. If it leaves that residue on the bottom of your microwave you can bet that over time grease is embedded in your curtains, upholstery, etc. It's nasty and makes your house stink. You may not be able to smell it -- living there you've grown accustomed to it. but believe me visitors can. Go out for fried food if you must have it! (03/04/2005)
Magic Sponge! Believe me- these things are MAGIC. From fingers prints on flat wall surfaces (without damaging the paint) to cutting right through grease on microwaves above stovetops and on kitchen cabinets! I have found a hundred uses for these things. They've made my small appliances look new again, too. I have one of those cleaning steam cleaners (As seen on TV)- and this simple 'magic sponge' worked circles around it when it came to cleaning the goo from grease off my kitchen cabinets above the stove! Just use it along with a bit of 409 or something similar! I'm telling you.... I'm a believer! Buy a couple of packs though, b/c as you use them... they break apart (they're supposed to). (10/11/2005)
Rather than using WD40 and dealing with the smell that it leaves behind - I just tried Orange Glo. It works great and smells a whole lot better than the stench of the WD40. I let it set for a few minutes after applying it with a soft tooth brush and then wiped it with a paper towel. After a second application the appliance looks new. Good Luck !!! (08/22/2006)
By J. B.
I was reading about buying products that are citrus based, I didn`t have any in the house so I dipped a cloth in orange juice, & washed it with that dried it, and washed it with a soapy cloth, and it worked. (09/09/2006)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!