Cleaning Mold and Mildew from the Shower

I would like to know how to clean mold and mildew from the shower?

By Asuenta from USA

Answers:

I think I found this on ThriftyFun, peroxide and a brush/toothbrush works wonders on mine! Good luck! (06/18/2010)

By tahloolabelle

Greased Lightening can be purchased from either Dollar General or Family Dollar. It's does a great job in removing mold, mildew, and soap scum. A 40-oz. bottle cost $3.00. You can even print off a $1.00 coupon on the coupon websites.
Be sure to follow the instructions by wearing rubber gloves and having good ventilation. (06/19/2010)

By MCW

Plain bleach and water kills mold and mildew. Use care whatever product you end up with. Be sure to have good ventilation in the room.
(06/21/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

Generally, spritzing on a little bleach and washing it off a few minutes later is a very temporary fix, because the bleach does not have time to penetrate the caulk. So mildew deep inside or behind the caulk regenerates very quickly. I read in another forum of a fellow who was mixing bleach with baking soda or talcum powder to make a bleach paste that he spread on the caulk and then covered with clingy plastic food wrap for 12 hours to kill the mold at the root.

However, I've had good success with a modification of that: I use dishwasher gel that has bleach (sodium hypochlorite) in it. I put that in a squeeze bottle like a ketchup squirter, and I squeeze a bead of that along the offending caulk line. Then I cover the length of that caulk line with a 3" wide strip of food wrap (using a razor blade to cut a 3" section off the end of the food wrap core.) Leave that plastic wrap on for at least 6 hours. When you peel it off, thoroughly rinse the caulk line and scrub it with a brush. If the dishwasher gel dries, it will leave a white powdery residue that can be rinsed/brushed again later. Usually it takes several rinsings and scrubbings to get it all off, simply because it's hard to see when it's wet. It's a lot of work, but you may not have to do it so often. Don't carry the bleach dripping plastic wrap strips through the house, they need to go straight into a bucket

Use gloves and wear clothes that you don't mind if they get bleached spots on them. Make sure the dishwasher gel either lists bleach or hypochlorite on the ingredients, or has a warning that it will bleach your clothing. As it happens, I used Costco Kirkland brand dishwasher gel. I don't know if other dishwasher gel soap brands will work as well, but anything that's a heavy gel containing bleach should work.

A final warning, I've seen bleach of any kind cause cement grout to crumble. The process I'm describing here is for rubbery silicone type grout.

For those who prefer vinegar and other cleaners, I think the key to killing mold and mildew is to keep your cleaner wet and in contact with the caulk for as many hours as possible. Make your mix as a non-dripping paste or gel and cover it with plastic so it does not evaporate. Keep it like that overnight if possible.
(07/30/2010)

By seekmocha

pictures of shower walls
Removing Mold from Shower Walls
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
🎉
🎄