Cleaning Nicotine (Cigarette Smoke) Off Walls

I rented a home where we all smoked for ten years and the walls were terribly stained. I used bleach as well as many different things. I found the easiest way to clean and deodorize was to use white vinegar and water with a mop. I mopped the walls with the solution and the nicotine rolled off so easily. You will be amazed.

By Wendibrown from Beaverton, OR

After moving for the first time in 27 years, we moved into a home that had a sun room that had been used as a smoking room. I had great success with Windex. (09/29/2009)

By d00dersnana

I want to add to this for any people looking in the future. I have tried many products from vinegar, ammonia, TSP, vapor steamer, Simple Green, and some others. TSP worked pretty well, but odds are it's not the same stuff as it was in the past. Many states now ban phosphates in cleaning products. Thus they aren't as good. If the product states TSP substitute, it's not the same as the old products.

Two products I felt worked the best. After I tried a product, I would go back with these 2 items and it always removed more. If it is available in your area or you have a Lowes, Krud Kutter will melt the nicotine away! This stuff is not cheap in a 32oz bottle, it sold for $6 in my area, but the 1.2 gallon batch sells for $11, a better buy.

The other product will surprise some. The other product that removes nicotine like butter is Eagle One A2Z Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Yes, a car product! I figure if this stuff can remove dirt and oil from rims with out scrubbing, lets try it on the walls. It works!

Both products didn't effect the paint also on my walls. So give those a shot if you have a tough project.

By bedlamite23

Cigarette Burning in Ash Tray
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls