Cleaning Nicotine from Walls

We bought a cute cottage at the beach, but the walls, everything stinks of smoke. I am in the process of cleaning all the walls. I use Clorox cleaner with bleach. This is a picture of how dirty the walls are. The house was built in 1952 so we have a lot of cleaning to do.

Top Comment

I find that TSP or TrisodiumPhosphate is great for this and the powdered form is not expensive at all.

Mix it with water, and you can sponge it on with cheap mops, protecting the flooring if you need to.

Buy curtain magic just need spray & within 2 mins the product self cleans

Try Awesome cleaner, found at most Dollar stores. Spray and watch it melt. Open windows please, but it's pretty miraculous

I am going to try Awesome on my walls that have old nicotine stains on them. I hope it works. Let me know if you think this will work? Thanks

That actually looks like "ordinary" smoke and dirt as opposed to nicotine. If the house has now or, at some time in the past had either a woodburner or coal furnace, that is likely what this is.

Yes it works...we thought our living room walls were painted brown when we moved in our house, turns out it was cigarette smoke. Awesome is the way to go

The best to clean Nicotine is alcohol, (Rubbing type) but you might try an oil soap for wood paneling. If you use alcohol just dampen a towel or rag, a lot of rags. With wood paneling I've seen it as bad as you pic after never having seen tobacco smoke. Oh nicotine when it comes of is brown or dark orange.