Cleaning Nicotine off Walls

I know someone out there knows the answer to this. We are moving into a place where the person was a heavy smoker. I need to know how I can clean nicotine off of walls without ruining the paint. I am not sure what kind of paint it is, but knowing our landlord, it is cheap paint. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions for this.

Janice from Illinois

Answers:

Cleaning Nicotine off Walls

Hi Janice, go to the dollar store and buy a few bottles of Awesome cleaner. Spray it on and watch it roll off. Wipe it off with a terry cloth and clear water, and rinse the cloth good, maybe in the sink. This stuff is the greatest stuff. Only cleaner you'll ever need, will clean anything.
Hope this helps! (09/04/2008)

By Ron

Cleaning Nicotine off Walls

Frankly, you should check in to your city/county/state tenant laws. It just might be that your landlord is required to clean and/or repaint those walls because the nicotine and cigarette chemical soaked walls are not healthy and, realistically, it's his/her property so why should you have to deal with it?

I am a smoker but refuse to smoke inside, even in freezing temperatures, because I don't want to subject my non-smoking family and friends health to my dirty habit!

If it turns out that you are the ones who have to do the cleaning, use diluted pinesol with cotton rags (t-shirt type material) and rinse the rag, changing the pinesol/water solution often. (09/04/2008)

By Deeli

Cleaning Nicotine off Walls

I agree that the Awesome cleaner is great for everything, its a degreaser. Also, and I love the Mr Clean Eraser, really removes scuff marks and ground in dirt on appliances etc. If you have a handheld steam cleaner, that works very well, my friend used one to clean a bathroom, she removed wallpaper with it, she used the window squeegy tool. (09/05/2008)

By busybeaver87

Cleaning Nicotine off Walls

I love Awesome, but know that it will take paint off. Thanks for all the ideas, will give them a try. (09/05/2008)

By jmz2005

Cleaning Nicotine off Walls

I have this wonderful cleaner that I use for everything as well and it has not taken off our paint...not sure about wallpaper though. It is known as Greased Lightning and is absolutely AMAZING! I believe it is also a degreaser. I get it at Walmart. Also Home Depot and Kmart carry it. It comes in both a spray bottle and large refill jug although the refill jug is sometimes tough to find. Good luck and I would check that landlord tenant law referenced above I believe they most certainly DO have to completely clean a place before new people move in. You might want to check with the health department too especially if you have children. Good luck. (09/06/2008)

By Ria

Cleaning Nicotine off Walls

TSP is a a cleaner it comes in a box you get at hardware stores. It really cleans the sticky nicotine off. You mix it in bucket with water and use a rag type mop to wipe walls then hand scrub other areas. My friend is a super smoker (uggh and eww) and will NOT open windows so once a year she cleans her walls with this TSP (09/06/2008)

By meoowmom

Cleaning Nicotine off Walls

Ok, so after reading this thread. Is it TPS, TCP, or TSP? I've seen it on here all 3 ways.

I also have the nicotine on walls problem and want to go into a store knowing what I want without sounding stupid.

Editor's Note: I believe it is TSP, Trisodium Phosphate. They no longer sell it in some places because it is a phosphate soap so causes algae in fresh water. They do have TSP substitutes though. (10/08/2008)

By Susan

Cleaning Nicotine off Walls

Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner! I know it sounds funny BUT IT WORKS! (12/15/2008)

By Amy

Cigarette Burning in Ash Tray
Cleaning Nicotine (Cigarette Smoke) Off Walls
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Cleaning Blinds
Cleaning Nicotine Stains on Blinds
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine from Wood Furniture
🎄