Cleaning Paint Rollers

Category Painting
Paint Roller Putting Teal Paint on Wall
Painting with rollers can really save a lot of time compared to brush painting. However, getting the roller clean after you are done so it can be reused is sometimes a major chore. This is a guide about cleaning paint rollers.

I clean my paint rollers and remove them from the arm of the roller. Paint still remains of course. So, I put the roller in a large plastic Ziploc bag and freeze it. The next time I need a roller, I let the bag defrost or take the frozen roller and put it in hot water. This saves time and money.

By Barbara W.

Top Comment

The trick to getting paint out of the roller is to first thoroughly rinse with water and then wash with laundry soap and rinse again.

Paint rollers are inexpensive enough to throw away after use, but I hate to send them to the landfill if they can readily be cleaned. When I am done painting I use the ring from a canning jar to strip off left over paint back into the can. I use a garden hose to thoroughly wet down the roller and begin moving the paint.

Once the bulk of the paint is gone, I let the full stream of the nozzle hit and spin the roller on its frame to sling out the last of the paint and water. Caution, get most of the paint out first or you will be slinging paint all over yourself and anything around you! The spinning fluffs up the roller so it is ready to use next time.

By Cathy M.

Videos

A nice instructional video about removing paint from brushes and rollers from a professional painter. Includes ideas for removing paint from both brushes and rollers.