Cleaning Plastic Drinking Straws

Drinking straws can be a challenge to keep clean. This is a guide about cleaning plastic drinking straws.

I love my insulated drinking glass and came up with this method for cleaning the straw. I take a small piece of cotton, wet it with hot soapy water and push it through with a kabob skewer. It keeps the tea stains out and I feel satisfied that the straw is clean.

By Betty from NC

"Disposable" straws need not be! To clean, simply use a chenille stem (these were called "pipe cleaners" when I was a kid). I've seen the stems in the craft section of many stores. I bought a package of 50 at the dollar store.

By Leann D

Why didn't I think of this!? Yes, if the only thing you drink with the straws is water and soda, then maybe you don't need to clean the insides of the straw. But if you drink milk, fruit shakes, and other more "sticky" thick stuff like we do, the insides of the straws can get pretty gunky. Especially if your kids forget to put the straws into the sink right away and the drink dries and hardens inside the straw!