Cleaning Porcelain Dolls

Cleaning Porcelain Dolls With Hair: I have porcelain dolls and want to clean them and wash their hair. They were given to me and the hair needs to be cleaned and styled. Can you tell me how to clean and style their hair?

Thank you,

Cleaning Porcelain Dolls

My suggestion would be buy a can of air like what is used to clean computers or find a friend with an air compressor and blow the dust off. If the clothes are stained by nicotine, (they are yellowed) make a mild solution of oxy-clean and gently wash them and then let them air dry. Then I would spray them with Fabreeze to get the smell out.

You might also try putting the clothes in the dryer on an air only cycle and see if that doesn't get rid of the dust. I also collect Porcelain dolls and I smoke but I try to take all of their clothes to the dry cleaners to get them clean. They only charge me a dollar per outfit. I have also hand washed the outfits so I know that will remove the discoloration of the clothes. Good luck. (12/07/2004)

By Debra in Colorado.

Cleaning Porcelain Dolls

I collect porcelain dolls as well as many of my family members. There are a couple different techniques that actually work very well. One is to get some "Static Guard", and hold it about 4-6in. from dolls clothing and hair and spray them down. Next take a vacuum hose and vacuum the dolls. If you let the static guard sit about 5 minutes, the dust vacuums right off.

Also, for the actual porcelain parts of the doll, there is a cleaner called "Awesome", and that is exactly how it works! It also works to clean hundreds of other things too. (04/10/2005)

By Bubbles76

Cleaning Porcelain Dolls

Most dolls have painted faces. Most cleaners will wash the paint off so go gently and test it in smaller areas before using cleaning products. (09/08/2005)

By snigdibbly

Photo of 3 vintage porcelain dolls.
Cleaning Porcelain Dolls
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Granville House Doll
Finding the Value of Granville House Dolls
Broken Porcelain Doll
Repairing Broken Porcelain Dolls and Figurines
A porcelain doll from the 1950s.
Finding the Current Value of Porcelain Dolls