Cleaning Rust And Dirt From A Steam Iron

I need to clean the rust, dirt and other stuff from my Black and Decker steam iron. It stains ironed clothes. What is a good way to clean the iron and remove the rust?

Joe from NC

Answers:

Get an old piece of carpet (like a carpet sample from home stores) with a fuzzy nap to it. Put your iron on high and iron the carpet. I discovered this by accident when I was ironing one day. I have one of those small ironing boards that sits on a table top, but I was using it in the living room. I had accidentally knocked over the iron onto my carpet.

When I picked it up I discovered that all the muck that was on my iron just seemed to be in a peel off form. Needless to say I have a permanent iron mark in the middle of my living room now, but my iron is clean. I now use an old piece of carpet square that I got as a sample from Lowe's.

Hope it works for you too. (01/12/2005)

By TJo31well

I sometimes use salt to clean the face plate of the iron. I set the iron on high, no steam, and sprinkle salt on a paper grocerybag. Running over the salt with the high heat cleans off the icky on my iron.
For the inside, I think you are supposed to use vinegar to get rid of the deposits the water leaves. A toothpick helps to clean out the steam vents. (01/13/2005)

By guest

To clean the outside of the iron I use plain old toothpaste. Inside I use vinegar and after it has been cleaned I use distilled water. (01/20/2005)

By Toni K.

Use white vinegar added to the steam vent. I also iron an old towel to clean iron in steam position (up for steam) and then empty iron before putting away. (01/21/2005)

By Diamondee

Whink is the easiest solution and a must have under the sink. Apply externally on the surface of your iron via cotton cloth or paper towel to remove rust, dirt, etc. For internal cleaning, use white vinegar and baking soda with distilled water only. After surface and vents are clean melt utility candle onto surface to regain protective coating. Excess wax should be absorbed onto clean strip of white terry cloth towel or new strip of light colored carpeting while iron is hot. Hope this helps. (09/06/2009)

By gadabout

Steam Iron
Removing Rust from Steam Iron
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 19, 2016 at 9:29:00 PM on 10.0.0.201 in 967 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.