Cleaning Silk Flowers

How do you clean silk flowers? I have loads of them and they collect dust.

Mary from Newark, California

Answers:

Cleaning Silk Flowers

If you're not trying to completely clean them, and just want to get the dust bunnies off on a regular basis, try one of those cans of compressed air that you can buy for cleaning computers etc.
(02/01/2009)

By Mary T

Cleaning Silk Flowers

In the floral aisle at Wal-mart they sell a can of flower cleaner. I don't know what's in it, but it dissolves the dust away. The cans are usually sort of hidden either on the very bottom or very top shelf. (02/01/2009)

By Michelle

Cleaning Silk Flowers

Be careful when using water on silks. I've had some colors of flowers run. I use the compressed air and only use water if it is an older arrangement that I am willing to risk the color running. (02/02/2009)

By chriself

Cleaning Silk Flowers

I blow off the dust with my hair blow dryer. Do this about once a month, or whenever you're dusting. (02/03/2009)

By evie5200

Cleaning Silk Flowers

Swishing in the bathtub or take them in the shower. I clean lots of stuff in the shower! If it is smaller items, take a plastic bag, toss in some corn starch, toss in the flowers, and shake. Then shake excess off.

I often do the 'grab the stems and shake with a snap' theory. If a flower head falls off, pop it back in place. Artificial flowers are meant for more abuse than fresh flowers.

I also take my silks I just don't want to see anymore and use them in the wreaths I make up to put on family grave sites. I have made some beautiful ones. We change them out with seasons, giving me chance to have different ones in the house without feeling bad about discarding any.

Another place to use 'done with it silks' is my gardens outside. Tuck a few here and there in my just starting gardens and you can't tell they are not real. Looks good into the fall! A lot are sun resistant too. (02/03/2009)

By T and T Grandma

Cleaning Silk Flowers

Put them in a bag with a cup of salt. Shake gently. Remove from bag and shake off any loose salt. You can keep the bag of salt and use it a couple of times (02/10/2009)

By Tori1256

Silk flowers.
Cleaning Silk Flowers, Swags and Wreaths
Golden silk fabric
Cleaning Silk
Silk Wedding Flowers
Silk Flower Wedding Centerpieces
silk flowers in a glass vase
Coloring Silk Flowers
Making Silk Flower Angels
Making Silk Flower Angels
🎄