Cleaning Silver

Cleaning Tarnished Silver: I need tips for clenaing badly tarnished sterling silver.

Helen from Ridley Park, PA

Answers:

Cleaning Silver

I tried cleaning my sterling silver jewelry in bicarbonate & warm water in a aluminum foil pan. It only took out a little bit of the tarnish. IT DID give a shine, but not what I expected.
(09/05/2006)

By Beverly

Cleaning Silver

Hi, all this reply is for all the above. First off you can not clean silver with bi-carbonate or mix sodium carbonate {soda crystals} with aluminium. Keep doing this and you will die 'literly' its very dangerous.. i see many tips for cleaning silver with household products, such as aluminum foil and soda crystals? Yes, it will work a little, and will take years off your life! Buy a bag of soda crystals and read the instructions. Do not use with ALUMINUM.

The only safe method proved since 1907 and still sold today is the pristine plate, and they still offer a full money back purchase. I know is sold worldwide.(10/18/2007)

By a-s-c

Cleaning Silver

Hi, this is in response to the advice about not using soda crystals and aluminum foil together. After I read this, I went into the kitchen and looked at my yellow box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. There is no warning at all. So I got online to look at the recommendations for Washing Soda. There was a warning about not using it on aluminum but it seemed to be more about damaging the aluminum than a health risk.

Curious, I did a little more digging on the internet and I think I have the answer. There is a product called Washing Soda Crystals that is available in Europe which is much more caustic and powerful than what is known as Washing Soda in the US. I believe that the warning was relating to those. I could find NOTHING about any danger at all for baking soda being used in this manner.

If fact, many, many sites recommend it as the best option for safely cleaning anything. I think if you were to just use baking soda instead of washing soda, this silver tarnish tip would be safe and effective. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, please post the link or source here.

Jess (10/18/2007)

By jess_admin

Cleaning Silver

It is important to use foil shiny side up, or it wont work, and there is a world of difference between baking soda and soda crystals! I mean you can put baking soda in green vegetables but you put soda crystals down the sink! (11/10/2007)

By Mary

Cleaning Silver

TOOTHPASTE works wonders!
Use a little and then buff with a soft cloth.
It really works.

Monique

Somerset, UK (04/20/2008)

By Monique63

RE: Cleaning Silver

Cleaning Silver

(submitted via email)

You can use baking soda as a cure for indigestion. You can't use Washing Soda. They are chemically different. Chuck (09/02/2008)

By jess_admin

Cleaning Silver, Silver tea pot with an antique Chinese tea cup and saucer.
Cleaning Silver
Coiled silver bead necklace with large silver ball.
Cleaning Silver Jewelry
silver tea pot
Determining Silver Plate vs. Sterling Silver
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Woman Polishing Silver
Preventing Silver from Tarnishing
🎄