Cleaning Soap Scum Out of a Washing Machine

Some detergents can leave a layer of soap scum inside your washing machine. This is a guide about cleaning soap scum out of a washing machine.

February 8, 2011 Flag

What should I do/use to remove soap film build-up in a top loading washing machine?

By David from Menomonee Falls, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hi i use vinigar and baking soda works wonders

Best Answer

CLR works great also with the soap scum, mineral build up and smelly washer smell.

Best Answer

Use the powdered HE (stands for high efficiency) detergent for front loaders. Mine did the same thing until I switched. I use Tide.

Our front load washer started stinking and that smell started going into our towels I think it was the soap scum that caused the smell. My sister gave me some cleaner called "Purewasher" that she bought. It only took one tablespoon to remove the scum and fungus. And another tablespoon to get rid of the mildew smell from our towels.

A tub full of hot water and CLR works great too and takes out hard water deposits.

The removal tips are great. I'd like to add as a prevention that you leave the top up/open after each load. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem with soap scum.

August 23, 2004 Flag

I have a fairly new washing machine. The white plastic agitator and fabric softener dispenser are getting caked with soap scum. HELP! How can I get this goop off?

Sue A

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Fill them both with vinegar and let it sit for a while. Then run an empty load (or throw in some rags or old towels.) It should dissolve the soap scum.

I always add half water to the fabric softener, that way not only will it prevent the buildup but it will also save you money

You can try adding borax to your wash cycle.

hi all i have a different problem

i think a screw or a coin may be trapped inbetween my drum and outer shell as when the washing machine is on spin it is an incredible scraping sound

when i spin the drum by hand it does the same i had my brother look inside the top and he says everything looks attached help what do i do my warranty is over i am from uk so if anyone can tell me how much this is gonna cost me please let me know or if anyone knows what else it could be its a boch wfb2004 make PLEASE HELP i have washing up to the roof and i am frightened to use it in case i totally ruin it??????? love and hugs lisa

Hi Lisa,

We posted this as a Reader's Request:

http://www.thri  f646765.tip.html

Run it through it's cycle without any clothes and add a box of epsom salts. This will not ony remove scum from the inside of the machine but also the hoses.

Wow this is awesome all my problems answered right here. Thanks very much. I'll get some epsome salt today. I also will use half water in my fabric softner I can save more money. :)

I used the epsom salt and it did nothing. I had to clean it with dish soap and a sponge. I used the entire box.

If you don't have good luck with vinegar, ammonia or bleach (be very careful not to mix them) there is a cleaner called purewasher that is only sold at smellywasher.com / This cleaner will clean inside your washer and remove mildew or musty smell from towels and clothes. All you'll need is one tablespoon.

October 6, 2011 Flag

What is the best method to remove soap/softener build up from the tub of a washing machine?

By David P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I've always cleaned mine by running it through the cycles empty (no soap, no clothes), set on hottest water and heavy duty setting. You can also add a cup or two of vinegar the first time to break any 'suds lock'.

It's a good idea to do this as a habit at least twice a year (more if you do a lot of laundry, and especially if you tend to use too much soap) to clean the excess or build-up out of the washer and hoses.

Make sure you pull the hoses and check the wire filters at each end of the hoses for build-up, too, before running the machine through the cycles-no point cleaning the tub. Make sure you reseat the filters and hoses properly to avoid leaks.

November 20, 2013 Flag

What cleaner can I use to remove soap scum from around the seal and the window of my front load washer?

By Kathy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you tried baking soda, and/or scrubbing with a used dryer sheet? That might work.

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJanuary 28, 2013
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
cleaning a tub
Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Remove Soap Scum from Fiberglass
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 11, 2017 at 10:18:59 PM on 10.0.2.118 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.