Cleaning Soap Scum Out of a Washing Machine

Some detergents can leave a layer of soap scum inside your washing machine. This is a guide about cleaning soap scum out of a washing machine.

Washing Machine
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 8, 2011 Flag

What should I do/use to remove soap film build-up in a top loading washing machine?

By David from Menomonee Falls, WI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our front load washer started stinking and that smell started going into our towels I think it was the soap scum that caused the smell. My sister gave me some cleaner called "Purewasher" that she bought. It only took one tablespoon to remove the scum and fungus. And another tablespoon to get rid of the mildew smell from our towels.

A tub full of hot water and CLR works great too and takes out hard water deposits.

Use the powdered HE (stands for high efficiency) detergent for front loaders. Mine did the same thing until I switched. I use Tide.

The removal tips are great. I'd like to add as a prevention that you leave the top up/open after each load. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem with soap scum.

Read More Answers...

November 20, 2013 Flag

What cleaner can I use to remove soap scum from around the seal and the window of my front load washer?

By Kathy

Have you tried baking soda, and/or scrubbing with a used dryer sheet? That might work.

October 6, 2011 Flag

What is the best method to remove soap/softener build up from the tub of a washing machine?

By David P.

I've always cleaned mine by running it through the cycles empty (no soap, no clothes), set on hottest water and heavy duty setting. You can also add a cup or two of vinegar the first time to break any 'suds lock'.

It's a good idea to do this as a habit at least twice a year (more if you do a lot of laundry, and especially if you tend to use too much soap) to clean the excess or build-up out of the washer and hoses.

Make sure you pull the hoses and check the wire filters at each end of the hoses for build-up, too, before running the machine through the cycles-no point cleaning the tub. Make sure you reseat the filters and hoses properly to avoid leaks.

August 23, 2004 Flag

I have a fairly new washing machine. The white plastic agitator and fabric softener dispenser are getting caked with soap scum. HELP! How can I get this goop off?

Sue A

Run it through it's cycle without any clothes and add a box of epsom salts. This will not ony remove scum from the inside of the machine but also the hoses.

Wow this is awesome all my problems answered right here. Thanks very much. I'll get some epsome salt today. I also will use half water in my fabric softner I can save more money. :)

I used the epsom salt and it did nothing. I had to clean it with dish soap and a sponge. I used the entire box.

If you don't have good luck with vinegar, ammonia or bleach (be very careful not to mix them) there is a cleaner called purewasher that is only sold at smellywasher.com / This cleaner will clean inside your washer and remove mildew or musty smell from towels and clothes. All you'll need is one tablespoon.

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJanuary 28, 2013
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
cleaning a tub
Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Remove Soap Scum from Fiberglass
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 12:50:21 AM on 10.0.2.141 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.