Cleaning Soap Scum on Shower Doors

How do you get soap scum off of shower doors? I scrub it looks good wet but dries with a soap film.

Andrea from Buffalo, NY

Baking Soda and Dish Detergent

Make a paste of baking soda and dish detergent. Apply this to your damp shower doors and scrub with a nylon pot scrubber. I have had good results with this method. (10/23/2006)

By ShellR

I tried a product called Kaboom cleaner. It is the best cleaning product for soap scum and hard water stains. No scrubbing. I found it in Kmart for about $3. (10/24/2006)

By marginy

Remember - like attracts like in chemistry. Soap is made from fats, therefore an oil will (slowly) remove the buildup. This doesn't help much due to removing one oil with another oil. I liked the Dawn dishwashing soap and dishwasher soap works even better. To be truely thrifty though, make a paste of wood ash (pH 11) and spred it over the soap buildup. Some of the soap will be removed with each treatment with no scrubbing. Add a little elbow grease and it's all gone with no toxicity.

If that doesn't work, or if you don't have a woodstove, Comet powder works fine and it is cheap.

Good Luck! (10/29/2006)

By Hot Water

Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Shower door made of metal and class.
Cleaning Metal Parts on Shower Doors
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Remove Soap Scum from Fiberglass
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner