Cleaning Stains on Suede Clothing

Because of the nap on suede is requires special cleaning methods. This is a guide about cleaning stains on suede clothing.

August 8, 2016 Flag

Pair of men's suede boots in hall

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning grease stains on suede. To remove grease stains on suede you will first want to use a product to absorb the oil from the suede.

December 22, 2016 Flag

How can I clean ink and the sticky adhesive from the back of a name tag off my suede coat at home?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had really good luck with just plain old hair spray, (It's best to spray it on)

Ice cubes with harden the sticky stuff and you can pick it off. I second the vote on hairspray for the ink.

I have used hairspray on ink where regular clothes were involved, but was afraid of staining the suede

If your coat is very expensive then it would probably be safer to pay the price and have it professionally cleaned.

Suede cleaning kits are available at Wal-Mart  not very expensive and kit contains several items for cleaning suede. They also have suede brushes.

I have cleaned suede shoes successfully but sometimes it may take more than one method. I believe adhesive can be cleaned off with some of the same methods.

Try to scrape off any loose adhesive (use a spoon?). I would not use ice as water can stain suede.

You will need a soft eraser (these can be found at many stores in the stationary or crafts aisle). These are the erasers that are about 1 long and rectangular shape. I only use the white/light color.

Gently rub the adhesive first and then try using a soft brush with either vinegar or alcohol  gently!

Try the same thing with the ink stain.

If you are successful  you can gently brush the nap with a clean soft tooth brush.

I have also heard of using an emery board to gently file the stain away but this I have never tried.

Remember  Water can/will stain suede.

January 7, 2005 Flag

I have a pair of suede shoes and after coming home from the family Xmas party, noticed what looks like spilled lasagne and am now just looking to clean them, HELP

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hi,

Make sure to let anything dry completely before trying to remove it. You can try putting some corn starch or corn meal on the stain. Then get a good suede brush and brush it out. The suede brush should help restore the nap or fuzziness of the suede.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I have a pair of sand Uggs and really regret buying the light colour! They have all kinds of miscellaneous marks on one boot and I only had them three days! I am sooo upset. Have ordered some Ugg cleaner and am hoping it will at least fade the marks. Just reading that others have the same problem as mehas made me feel tons better :-)

For tasman uggs,you can use an ugg cleaner but it CAN NOT contain scratch guard

I spilled coffee on my orchid pink ugg boots. I used dish soap and water to get it out, but it left a white stain in place of the spot. how can I get it out (by not buying the ugg cleaner)? also, i got rainwater all over them, how can I get that out as well??

November 6, 2014 Flag

My suede jacket has a dark ring around the collar. I don't know how long it's been there as it was given to me by a friend.

By Dee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The ring is dirt and oil from the previous wearer. If you don't want to send it to the cleaners you can try rubbing white chalk on the soiled area, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, and then brush it away with a brush made for suede; repeat if necessary. Don't rub the chalk hard or you'll damage the suede by the pressure. You can also try steaming (not ironing) part of the area and blotting it with a clean towel.

February 8, 2005 Flag

My son "threw" his suede jacket into his locker at school and a wet smelly substance, (who knows what), was on the sleeve. He tried to wash it off with water. Now has a wet looking, still smelly sleeve. I have tied off the sleeve into a bag that is filled with baking soda. Any suggestions to get a uniformed color back from what the washing with water left on the jacket's sleeve? With dry cleaning being so expensive, he can just go purchase another jacket!

Thanks for your help,

Mrs. Jones

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My mother had a small stiff-wired brush that she used to clean her suede coat - you can wipe stains with white vinegar, let dry, then brush - may take several tries. Good luck!

Resalee

i don't have an answer, i have a similar problem. i was an idiot and wore my suede/leather coat out to shovel the driveway. it's really wet now and i am really afraid it will get that white stain-thing when it dries. does anyone know how i can prevent that or fix it when it does happen?

Ahh same problem here but with my boots it started to stiffen up the material then it stained a darker colour

February 22, 2008 Flag

I have an oil and vinegar spot on washable suede jacket.

Marj from Rochesterny

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I spilled oil on my new sweater. I kept rubbing in baby powder and let it sit and then added more. Did this for a few days. When I washed it I put some of the detergent on the oil and rubbed that in. It all came out without a trace.

Years ago I got tar off of my brand new, pale beige carpet using this method - baby powder or talcum, a brush and patience. All came out also.

I'd get it to the cleaners ASAP. Oil is a real drag to try to get out of any fabric.

November 29, 2004 Flag

Please tell me how to get car grease off of a washable suede jacket.

Gwen from Hawaii

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You might try some hand cleaner for auto mechanics. Work it into the stain and wipe off with a clean cloth. It make take a few applications to get it all. Then brush with a suede brush.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I use a product called ENERGINE Spot Remover. You can find it in some stores with the specialty cleaners (for example brass cleaner/silver polish). Hardware stores often carry it also. It is 100% naphtha. You need to use it carefully....don't breathe the fumes, have good ventilation and remember it's flammable! It always works for me on grease and tar type stains. It's getting hard to find.

March 10, 2005 Flag

I just got salad dressing (grease) on a very expensive Valentino suede skirt. Does anyone know what can take grease out of suede? Do I go to a drycleaner? I'm terribly afraid of putting any chemical solution on the front of this skirt.

Please help, someone.
Melissa from PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

When in doubt, and on such an expensive garment-go to a dry cleaner. Be sure to point out the stain and tell them what it is.

January 7, 2005 Flag

I need help. I just received a Light Colored Suede jacket for Christmas, 1st time wearing it was yesterday and a co-worker got blue ink stains on it. I have tried the Hairspray idea that a lot of people stated would work, it didn't for me. What else can I do before having to take it to a cleaner. I am just really afraid to take it to a cleaner because there are so many horror stories from them ruining items. Can anyone help please? Stacy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I hate to tell you, but it probably won't be able to be removed.

I purchased a washable suede suit from Danier (A wonderful company by the way, highly recommended)

When it arrived there was a one inch ink mark on the upper sleeve. I contacted them and they immediately said that it probably wouldn't come out and I could try washing it. (This is washable suede)

I washed it three times and dried it,,,,it faded slightly, but I was afraid it would be lighter than the pants.

I phoned them and the only alternative they suggested,,,,an incidentally it was free...if they had matching skins they could remake the sleeve.

This was from a large well known leather company.

Suede is really a problem!

In my case, they took both pieces back and I ordered something else.

Also I tried a suede cleaner....CAUTION it leaves a darker overall "Patch" of stain.

It doesn't look good for you and I would certainly ask before bothering to send it off and paying a fortune for cleaning.

Gloria

Home and Garden Cleaning LeatherMarch 8, 2013
Suede Couch
Cleaning Cat Urine From Suede
Suede Boots
Cleaning Suede Boots
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
Pair of men's suede boots in hall
Cleaning Grease Stains on Suede
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 6:48:55 PM on 10.0.1.191 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.