Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Dry Erase Board

Category Furniture
Dry Erase Board
Often white boards are also used to hold notes and pieces of paper, attached with tape. Once those notes are removed the tape residue may be a problem. This is a guide about cleaning sticky residue from a dry erase board.

Our dry erase board use to be used for employee schedules. They used black electrical tape (at least 4 years ago) to create a grid. I recently removed all of the tape and there is a black residue left. I need to know what I can use to safely clean this board to remove that residue. We don't want to spend money on a new one if we can salvage this one.

Thanks,
Rene

Answers

Best Answer

I bought a 4'x6' dry erase board for 40 bucks because the owner gave up trying to clean the tape residue that was on it for years. I came on this forum and read what I can use to clean it. I used Mr.Clean multi-surface - fail. I used Tilex - fail. I used alcohol (50%) - fail, I used the Magic Eraser - works but is way too much work and rubs off surface. I used shaving cream - fail. I used Windex - fail. I called my mom to pick up Goo Gone from the hardware store, but before she came home I read that someone tried Pam cooking spray. I tried it and was shocked beyond belief that after 30 seconds the residue looses and can be wiped off clean. Not even a lot of elbow grease is needed. After 10 minutes of cleaning, I buffed in the excess Pam into the board and it shined white as snow and good as new and gave it that nice finish that makes wiping off dry-erase marker a snap. I'm looking at it right now and still can believe I bought this board for only 40 bucks.

Best Answer

The spray on Pam worked great! I used Wal-Marts non stick spray and my white board is good as new! Great tip!

Best Answer

Thinking Pam is essentially vegetable oil, and not having any Pam, I tried some vegetable oil on a napkin. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Vegetable oil and Canola oil work great! The sticky residue slid right off!

Anonymous
Best Answer

So I tried a list of things before it actually worked

Magic Eraser - Rubbed way too hard and left a scratch in the board

Nail Polish Remover - Did Nothing

Windex - Nothing

All Purpose Cleaner - Nothing

Body Oil - It was some Nuetrogena that I had on hand. Came off in 2 seconds.

I put a little bit on a cotton ball and it came right up. Then I cleaned the board with Windex to get the oil off. Looks great, works fine again.

Anonymous
Best Answer

You are going to laugh but I just got it off with peanut butter, I remember that it works on gun so I tried it on my 3 year old granddaughters white board and it was so easy a 3 year old did it

What removes the glue from Post It notes off a white board? As a April Fools joke, my friends covered my white board in Post It notes and now my dry erase markers won't erase.

By Deb from Adams, MA

Best Answer

Try this spray called Goo-Gone. It works great. The bottle is clear and the liquid inside is a faint green. It removed crayon from my wall!

Best Answer

I was taking one of those "stick people" stickers off my back window on my car one day and it left some of the adhesive. For lack of anything else handy, I used some hand sanitizer on a small piece of cloth. I was amazed at how easily it came off!

I've since used it on different things around the house that I've been unable to remove the adhesive or glue from. The hand sanitizer works great!

It'd probably work on your board too. And it's not an expensive brand either. I got this bottle at the dollar store.

There is colored residue all over my whiteboard that just won't come off. I've tries hand sanitizer, whiteboard cleaner, and it just won't come off. Maybe you can help?

By C.C.

Best Answer

For my old board I colored it with a good dry erase marker all over. Then I wiped it clean. The new ink usually helps with the old residue. Although there is no guarantee it will work 100% of the time. Try a small section first and see if this helps.