Cleaning Stool Odor from Dog's Fur

My Golden Retriever recently needed to take medication that caused him to have loose stool which stuck to some of his fur. I have tried plain soap and water, dog shampoo, and baby wipes to clean his fur, but it still has an odor. I don't want to shave this area. Is there something I can use to clean his fur that also won't irritate his skin?

By Lois from OH

Answers:

Cleaning Stool Odor from Dog's Fur

Vinegar is a good, all natural odor buster. You might try wiping the fur with a rag soaked in vinegar. I've used vinegar on some pretty smelly household cleaning jobs and it worked on everything I tried it on. (03/08/2010)

By texasauthor1

Cleaning Stool Odor from Dog's Fur

Easiest would be "Nature's Miracle" enzymatic odor remover from the store. You apply it wet and let it dry. If your dog's skin is not sensitive, you could try dampening a rag with Febreze and wetting his fur with it. (Contrary to popular belief, it is not harmful to pets, though it could be irritating to the skin if the dog is sensitive.) I would only moisten the fur around his bottom that got soiled.

If you want to bathe it again, what we have used for skunk (so I have to think it would work on stool) is baking soda, with a squirt of Dawn dish soap, and enough hydrogen peroxide to make a wet paste. Rub it in, let it soak for five minutes, then rinse well. (03/08/2010)

By Jilson

Cleaning Stool Odor from Dog's Fur

Not sure about the odor problem, but when my dog has residual poo on her bottom, I use a baby wipe and some baby oil to remove it. Comes right out and she never smells. (03/08/2010)

By ninjabarbi

Cleaning Stool Odor from Dog's Fur

The first thing that comes to my mind is, that if you visited and paid the vet for necessary medication the vet should have a follow up answer on a safe loose stool odor in fur remover. (03/10/2010)

By PamelaW

Cleaning Stool Odor from Dog's Fur

How about borax? It does wonders on cat urine. Good luck. (03/10/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Cleaning Stool Odor from Dog's Fur
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
pug looking sad.
Dog With Soft Stool
pink dog
Dyeing a Dog's Fur Safely
Photo of a sad puppy laying on the floor.
Puppy With Blood in its Stool
🎉
🎄