Cleaning Suede Sneakers

I just wanted to know how I can clean a pair of suede sneakers that look dirty and have some dirt on them. I got them as a gift and really love them but don't know what to do!

Sheenaandjose

Answers:

Cleaning Suede Sneakers

I used a foam spray carpet cleaner on mine one time. I don't remember the name but I know it was a big name brand. Just be sure to read the can and test a spot on the inside of the shoe first. Some cleaners will fade the suede or leave spots.

Or try shaving cream... I use it on my suede boots and it works. But also remember to test it first to make sure it doesnt fade the color or leave spots.

Walmart also carries a suede cleaner in the shoe department. It's about $7 a can. I never could find it years ago when I bought my first pair of suede shoes and learned these other tricks.
Hope this helps you. (01/07/2005)

By kattankerous

Cleaning Suede Sneakers

I have suede shoes that I wear constantly around the house. I've spilled coffee and other liquids on them. I bought a "kit" at Walmart that contained something that looked like an eraser....the kit was very inexpensive (about $2-3) and thus far has removed everything I've abused. (01/09/2005)

By Shelly

Cleaning Suede Sneakers

I myself had a similar problem. I have a pair of blue Timberland sneakers. After only a few weeks of wearing them I had the bright idea to "wash" them! (Don't ask me why I took that advice?) Needless to say I was crushed when I seen them after they came out the washing machine.
I TRIED EVERYTHING! It only made them look worse.

Determined to get them looking presentable, I searched and searched, and asked and asked. The SOLUTION? Someone told me to use "VERY FINE" sandpaper and rub them very lightly. You can imagine my skepticism, but I had nothing to lose at this point. (Except a practically new pair of "Tims")
I used the finest sand paper I could find and rub the sneaker evenly as possible. After I was done I took a horse hair brush and brushed them down. IT WORKED!

Now, I must say they definitely do NOT look new, but look 100% better! I would only use the suggestion as a last resort, when all else fails. As for me I have done this to all my boots and they are looking almost new.

Good Luck and I sure hope you have already solved your problem, but in case not... it's a suggestion. Take care! (03/31/2005)

By bekkabk

Cleaning Suede Sneakers

I had the same problem and this is what info I found. Suede is a lovely material - warm, soft and cuddly. Too bad it's such a terrible beast to clean. In general, have suede garments professionally cleaned, but if you must clean your own, follow these guidelines.

1. Rub suede with a bath towel to restore some of its nap.
  2. Remove dry stains and marks from suede by gently rubbing a pencil eraser on the affected area.
  3. Brush with a suede brush.
  4. Apply a small amount of white vinegar to a damp cloth as a last resort for cleaning suede shoes.
  5. Gently rub the surface of the shoe with the cloth, then allow it to air dry.
  6. Remember that stains on leather and suede should be professionally treated.

Tips:

Pretreat suede with a leather protection spray before use.
Leather and suede garments should be professionally cleaned at least every two years.

Warnings:

Note that suede shoes treated with white vinegar may have a mild odor after cleaning. (05/02/2006)

By georgina

Cleaning Suede Sneakers

I used a pencil eraser on my little girl's smooth suede like strawberry shortcake sneakers. It's man-made, so it's not real suede, but it's the same. It worked. I was upset that she wore her new sneakers out to play and we have very dirty dirt. It's a fine powder dirt, that I can't stand, but thankfully it really made a difference on the sneaker. (01/18/2007)

By Holly

Pair of blue suede shoes on white background
Cleaning Suede Shoes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing ShoesJune 12, 2007
man tying sneaker
Wearing Sneakers
Suede Jacket
Cleaning Stains on Suede Clothing
Single black women's suede boot
Cleaning Rain Stains on Suede Shoes
Tall women's black suede boot
Cleaning Dust from Suede Shoes
🎉
🎄