Cleaning The Toilet Tips

It's not fun, but it has to be done. Tips for cleaning your toilet. Post your ideas.

Cleaning the Toilet

To save more time when cleaning the bathroom. Before going to bed drop a denture cleaning tablet in the toilet bowl and may also be used in the tank as well. Let sit overnight and in the morning you can make a quick pass around the bowl with the brush and then flush! (11/20/2004)

By Tammy R.

Keeping the Toilet Clean

Brushing the toilet bowl each morning as you finish using it keeps it sparkling for a long time.

By Daylee

Cleaning the Toilet

If you have stains in your toilet bowl, of any kind, you can use a pumice stone to rub it out.

Cleaning the Toilet

Mouthwash is a great cleaner & disinfectant, too. Simply pour some in & swish around with the bowl brush. Clean & fresh! (12/31/2004)

By FrugalFriend

Cleaning the Toilet

Make your toilet bowl cleaner more effective by first pouring a gallon or so of water from a bucket into the bowl to get ride of the bowl water. Add your cleaner to the bare bowl and clean as usual. This way you will not dilute the cleaner in the bowl water. (01/19/2005)

By Gem

Cleaning The Toilet Tips

I've always just poured some bleach into the toilet before bed or going to work. This doesn't work for the upper parts (like under the rim) but it'll work wonders for those dark rings where the water comes up to. Pour enough bleach so that the water rises up over those rings. It'll be clean as a whistle and sparkly. No scrubbing required. Can't get any easier than that! (01/19/2005)

By pookster

Cleaning The Toilet Tips

Mineral deposits can be whitened with bleach but often remain and collect more stains again pretty quickly. To remove stubborn mineral deposits use very fine black sandpaper, (called 'wet & dry' sandpaper). Some effort is required to scrub the area but this will rehabilitate even the scrungiest old toilet. As a cleaning method it doesn't harm the porcelain, its cheap, (you can reuse the sandpaper), their are no chemical fumes to inhale and you will not be polluting the environment or 'sterilizing' the good bugs if you have a septic system. (01/19/2005)

By Jo Bodey

Cleaning Toilet Bowls

Use a cup of bleach to clean toilet bowls. It's cheaper and more effective than expensive products made for that job. (02/26/2005)

By clc

Cleaning The Toilet Tips

Bleach is not a cleaner, it is a disinfectant. You should brush and clean your toilet then use bleach to disinfect. I read this on back of a bleach bottle. Also only the Clorox regular bleach is a disinfectant not the Clorox scented bleach. Go to for more information.

By mkymlp

Cleaning The Toilet Tips

I clean my toilet according to what stains are in it (The Works for rust and mineral deposits, etc.). I had a friend whose wife would dump bleach into the toilet tank, then flush the toilet. After the toilet was filled she would scrub the toilet with the bleach water. I never saw his toilet any way but sparkling. (02/26/2005)

By terdralynn

Cleaning The Toilet Tips

"Bleach is not a cleaner, it is a disinfectant. You should brush and clean your toilet then use bleach to disinfect. I read this on back of a bleach bottle. Also only the Clorox regular bleach is a disinfectant not the Clorox scented bleach. Go to for more information."

When my toilet bowl stops coming out shiny, clean and not smelling like a toilet, then I will agree. Dump bleach in and literally watch the crud disappear... puhhlease! It cleans better than ANYTHING! That is a disclaimer they MUST use in this sue-happy world we live in these days! I can almost be sure that "warning" hasn't been on the bottle since the beginning of Bleach time!

BRING ON THE CLOROX! :) (02/26/2005)

By homeschoolin_mum

Cleaning The Toilet Tips

Clorox doesn't have a warning about not to use scented bleach as a disinfectant on the bottle. The web site will explain it. When I wash my laundry, I always use a detergent along with bleach. Never bleach alone. Also, bleach only has a shelf life of one year. So it's not a good idea to stock up on extra bottles unless they will be used within a year. I don't use that much bleach so I only buy it when the bottle is almost empty. (02/27/2005)

By mkymlp

Denture Tablets

Put that fizzing action to work in the toilet bowl by using a couple of denture tablets. Simply drop in a couple of tablets, let stand; give a quick scrub and rinse. (03/01/2005)

By imaqt1962

Cleaning The Toilet Tips

in regards to the posting by homeschoolin_mum: Bleach does not clean, it bleaches. Up until a few months ago, I would have agreed with you. But now I work for a sanitary supply company, my eyes have been opened. Bleach contains no soap or detergent, it only makes things look cleaner by bleaching away the color from dirt and stains.

By no more bleach

Cleaning The Toilet Tips

The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner is the best and only $1. If you have boys or men with no aim, and you can still smell urine after thoroughly cleaning the entire toilet, lid and base, spray on a cleaner that you would use to get a pet stain off the carpet with. It has enzymes that remove the odor . Also, a mixture of baking soda, dish liquid, and peroxide will eliminate the odor. A quick way to get your guys to aim straight is have them clean the bathroom from now on! It works! (03/01/2005)

By acope

Cleaning The Toilet Tips

A brand name substitute for denture tablets are the Scrubbing Bubbles tablets. Theyre fairly cheap and I usually plop one into the tank right before I go to sleep, letting it do its thing overnight. For harder stains, I also tend to use a pumice stick to remove them. (03/06/2005)

By SVRunningMan

Cleaning The Toilet Tips

My favorite toilet cleaning brand is Comet. I use comet powered cleaner with bleach in my toilet and it works great because it gets my tough stains out from under the rim and were the water line is!

(Steps How To Clean The Toilet)

1. First put up both lids and flush the toilet.

2. Then put a generous amount of cleaning powder or liquid into the toilet.

3. Get your toilet brush and scrub away, make sure you get under the rim and were the water line is.

4. Let the product sit for at least 5 to 10 minutes then flush.

5. Use a disinfectant spray or wipe for the outside of the toilet then clean it up.

(Do not mix any cleaning products
together, could cause Flames)

By Nick

Cleaning the Toilet, Woman with Blue Gloves Scrubbing Her Toilet
Cleaning a Toilet
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Photo of a woman cleaning a toilet.
Preventing and Cleaning Toilet Rings
Toilet bowl
Cleaning Toilet Bowl Stains
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper