Cleaning Throw Rugs

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can clean a throw rug so the rubber backing doesn't come off?

Thanks!

Wendy from West Allis, WI

Answers:

Cleaning Throw Rugs

I have found that the dryer is what ruins the backing. If you can wash the rug (2 small ones will keep your washer balanced) and lay it out on a driveway or over a deck railing to dry, they should be fine.

(05/28/2006)

By Jana, WI

Cleaning Throw Rugs

I only have one in the bathroom, kitchen and two in the entry way. I beat the tar out of them to shake any dirt/crumbs, and then vacuum up dog hair with the floor attachment on my cleaner. If something spills or they are tracked, I will wash them on warm water with detergent, then air dry overnight. The kitchen and entryway I do once a week, and the bathroom one is as needed, since it doesn't see "much action". They are all inexpensive Wal-mart types, and the kitchen/bath have lasted me one year, with no wear yet. (05/28/2006)

By camo_angels

Cleaning Throw Rugs

Rugs, attached to the clothes line, have been beaten to remove dirt long before modern-day washers were invented. Good advice, camo. Try a cold water wash on delicate cycle w/detergent, Woolite or shampoo w/ softener added to the rinse cycle. You can add 1/2 cup white vinegar to either the wash and/or rinse cycle. It works great :o) (05/28/2006)

By gator10tx

Cleaning Throw Rugs

I have had my large throw rugs more than 10 years and the secret to making them last this long is to "never" put them in the dryer. The heat of the dryer is what degrades the rubber backing. The rubber backing on mine is beginning to break down and the rugs will have to be replaced soon, but 10-years-plus for this type of rug, I think, is pretty good. I wish some of my major appliances lasted that long! (05/30/2006)

By Ronsan

Cleaning Throw Rugs

You can take them to the car wash and use the clips to hold them up to wash. You could also use a pressure washer at home if you have one. Then just air dry. (05/31/2006)

By Sandy

Cleaning Throw Rugs

I agree with everyone's comments about the dryer, it is a killer. But I wanted to add that I lay my rug over my ironing board with the rubber backing side up. It usually drys over night.

(05/31/2006)

By Tricia

Cleaning Throw Rugs
Bathroom with orange towels and an orange rug.
Color Coordinating Towels and Rugs for Your Bath
Rag Rug
Selling Rag Rugs
Throw Rug
Cleaning Throw Rugs
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
🎉
🎄