Cleaning Tile and Grout

We installed floor tile in the house. We used white grout, big mistake. I have tried my Hoover Floormate with the tile brush and cannot get it white again. Any suggestions?

By mfgershman from Anaheim, CA

Answers:

Cleaning Tile and Grout

I have beige grout and the only thing that gets it clean is Greased Lightning. I spray it, scrub it with a brush and wipe it up with a rag. (That way the dirty solution doesn't dry in the depression.) It's a real pain. I do mine in sections, a little every day. Try it first in a corner or somewhere like that, to make sure it doesn't harm the tile by bleaching or removing the finish.

Don't waste your time re-sealing the grout, it won't make any difference.

For cleaning the floor I just use ammonia and water. (05/18/2009)

By Mary T

Cleaning Tile and Grout

I've had great success using Tile and Grout Magic and a tile brush. (05/18/2009)

By lah34a

Cleaning Tile and Grout

Greased Lightning can be found in the cleaning aisle of most supermarkets and stores like Target. Look where the 409 etc. are.

I can't stress enough to try it out first, it is very strong. My tile does fine, it's new, but my cousin had old dark tile (the coloring process was probably different back then) with lighter grout and the GL bleached out all the edges of the tile where it touched it. If you have new tile, it will probably be OK, but check first. (05/19/2009)

By Mary T

Cleaning Tile and Grout

Try your Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, you'll go through them as they will shred. (Wrap in nylon net to minimize shredding.)
Works beautifully and not too expensive.
(05/19/2009)

By Skibum1910

Cleaning Tile and Grout

I agree with Mary T. Greased Lightning works wonders and I have tried many products including straight bleach. I use a toothbrush. The fumes are rather toxic though so make sure you can open a window. (05/19/2009)

By RealtorRose

Cleaning Tile and Grout

If you are still unsatisfied with the whitening results, you can always have the grout company lay another color of grout over this one.
A friend of mine had the grout turn very orange unlike the sample from which she selected. It was pretty bad. The company laid some tan grout over the orange and covered it up. Big difference. (05/23/2009)

By cookwie

Cleaning Tile and Grout

A mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide works well. It's cheap too. I don't know the exact proportions. I use a couple tablespoons baking soda to a cup of hydrogen peroxide. (05/23/2009)

By Merlene

Cleaning Tile and Grout

Krud Kutter, spray on, wait 3-5 minutes, wipe with damp cloth-grout clean now. If it is really bad, repeat. Get Krud Kutter at Lowe's or maybe Home Depot. (05/23/2009)

By JoanDogs

Cleaning Tile and Grout

Try a bleach pen. (05/25/2009)

By tarlo

Cleaning Tile and Grout
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
installing tile
Removing Grout From Tiles
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎉
🎄