Browsing: Cleaning Up Pet Hair

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Up Pet Hair

Living with furry friends can find your home filled with lots of hair, especially when they're shedding. This guide is about cleaning up pet hair.

Cleaning Up Pet Hair
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 16, 2009 Flag

Summer is almost here and so is cat shedding time. This is a tip to keep the animal hair cleaned up. Take a piece of terry cloth (I use old towels cut up) wet a good size piece, and wring it out. Wrap it around four fingers and rub it in a circular motion. Lift up after about four motions, and you will be amazed at the cat hair you have picked up. Take the hair off the rag, and do it again and again. This works on couches, cloth chair seats, bedspreads, and in the car, anywhere!

By letageraldine from Tucson, AZ

I have no cats, but three mid-to-large dogs (one a mastiff.) Need to try this, as they all shed and it aggravates my allergies. Thanks for this thrifty tip!Oops. Forgot to add: I suspect, if you add a few drops of something like white vinegar, you'll be...

November 6, 2011 Flag

Closeup of a Golden Retriever.Put on a pair of latex gloves. Then "pet" your furniture. You will notice the pet hair rolling up under the gloves, almost into a rope. Really embedded pet hair will loosen, but it will take a little elbow grease! A bonus is that by wearing the gloves, you can remove/loosen hair wherever your hand can go. The gloves work great in on fabric car upholstery, too.

By Annelle from Pleasant Mount, PA

November 26, 2012 Flag

I was going through my daughter's room and under her bed, when I picked up an eraser to kind of sweep a few bits of debris off the floor. It picked up fur like a dream! I used it on her carpet, as I was sitting on the floor going under her bed and sorting clothes, etc.

September 13, 2011 Flag

Are you a pet owner? Before you vacuum, take a damp broom and sweep over the whole area with it. You'll be happily surprised at the results. There will be less hair to clog up your cleaner!

Small girl holding a very large black cat.

May 2, 2011 Flag

Is there a broom or type of broom that can adhere to pet hair? I am looking for one that can be used to pick up hair from hardwood floors?

By Robert from Cincinnati, OH

My husband bought me a Swiffer Vac and it's the absolute best in getting pet hair off of hardwood floors! As it sucks up the hair it also has a pad that picks up the rest. Can't say enough good things about it.

Rubber brooms are the best. They pick up pet hair like a magnet. They are hard to find in stores though... You could try Bed, Bath, & Beyond or order one online. Next best thing, other than a vacuum, would be a microfiber mop. But make sure the microfiber is of high quality or it will be useless. Spend the money on a good quality mop that has spilt thread microfiber. The more threads per sq. " the better. The ones that have a flat side and a loopy side work quite well for numerous chores.

I bought this http://www.bissell.com/pet-hair-broom/ and find it works wonders.

As a retired cleaning lady I have tried them all. My favorite is the Hoover Flair stick vacuum. It is light and easy to maneuver. You would need to find it online. My second favorite is a cottom dust mop. It is very effective except for having to occasionally wash the mophead.

We use an attachment that easily fits on the floor head of a vacuum cleaner by way of using "Velcro" which picks up pet hairs that are stubborn, the lose ones are sucked up by the cleaner. There is also an attachment they supply for automobiles, that...

November 20, 2010 Flag

How do I remove pet hair from a leather sofa?

By Debi from Pensacola, FL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have a golden retriever and when his hair is long, he sheds terribly! We started shaving him, (not super short, but quite short, about 1/2") and it helps tremendously! Plus he stays a lot cooler. We also have 2 cats, which I also shave down. There are wire brushes that I have found at the dollar store that are great for removing hair from the furniture. Also brushing animals regularly helps alot. I hope this helps!

Rubber finger broom is the best way to describe. A picture is on fly lady which u can join if you like. It is in a kit or singular. This rubber finger tool is in some hardware stores as well. Awesome--fabulous. Rows of these rubber fingers in a hand tool or the broom. Even a toilet brush. Fly lady is a good site for getting a clean house by baby steps. Chores become habits. She never talks down dogs or cats. This tool has a dozen uses from cleaning windows, hair collection, dry floor sweep, scrub carpet, ceiling cob

I understand the clean up of dog hair was your question but you might want to make sure that the amount of shedding is normal. Something else may be going on. Healthy dogs do not shed all year long. I have a lab and we have had major problems with her shedding.

We took her to the vet and ask about the issue on a routine visit. The vet stated she could be allergic to her dog food. She suggested trying a food that had Chicken as the first thing on the ingredient list and to stay away from brands that have Beef, wheat,corn and other fillers as the primary ingredient. We changed her food and wow what a difference it made, coupled with weekly brushing I took a major problem for me and my dog and fixed it. We started with Rachael Ray's Nutrish it took a couple of weeks but wow what a difference.

Rather than trying to stop your pets from shedding, which is a natural and usually unavoidable process, we should answer the question of how to clean pet hairs from furniture easily and without unnecessary work or extra expense. I have found a useful attachment called a Seat Hog, bought online from Stirt Systems, for my vacuum cleaner which, when used during my normal vacuum cleaning regime, picks up pet hairs without the need to pre-prepare my furniture with a damp cloth/sponge/rubber brush/sticky lint roller/sticky tape/pet hair brush/wire brush etc. Thus you don't have to clean your furniture twice or get your furniture wet or risk snagging the material on a wire brush to remove pet hairs.

Good luck and good cleaning.

January 21, 2005 Flag

With a hairy companion like Kodi, hair can be a real problem for the carpet and vacuum, so before I vacuum I rake the carpet. It's wild how much hair is in the teeth of the rake.

Kodi (German Shepherd Mix)

April 16, 2009 Flag

I have a client that lets her pets roam and climb on everything. Is there an inexpensive way to clean pet hair off counters, smooth top stoves, sinks, furniture, etc.? Or any way to repel the pet hair from sticking to everything? I would really appreciate any and all advise on this. Thank you in advance.

Janice from Illinois

Answers:

Cleaning Up Pet Hair

If you have an old Christmas stocking that's furry, it works great. My mom has a leather couch with dog fur on it. Visiting over Christmas, I just wiped up the fur with a stocking.

A piece of craft fur or felt may do too. (02/23/2009)

By Becca25

Cleaning Up Pet Hair

I found a sponge at my local hardware store that is used to lift the fur and I love it, it is easy, pliable to fit into corners, and to clean it you just roll the hair off. I am sorry I do not remember the name but it is orange in color, was in the cleaning goods section, feels slightly tacky like it is a rubber type product. Hope that helps. (02/23/2009)

By Katie

Cleaning Up Pet Hair

I use lint rollers that let you peel the used paper off. I even use it on my cat and he loves it! (02/23/2009)

By cliff

Cleaning Up Pet Hair

The sponge is called Gonzo and does work really well. Another thing is to put on a pair of rubber gloves, then put some water on the gloves and run your hands over the hairy surface and it rolls off. (02/23/2009)

By starxmn

Cleaning Up Pet Hair

Thank You for the great suggestions. I will be trying these today when I get to my clients' homes. (02/24/2009)

By jmz2005

Cleaning Up Pet Hair - Fur-Zoff

For removing pet hair from all fabrics I recommend a Fur-Zoff. It's a "green" product that only costs $9.99. A very inexpensive way to remove pet hair from all over the house. (02/25/2009)

By Kelly

Home and Garden Cleaning TipsDecember 2, 2012
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Boxer on White Microfiber Couch
Removing Pet Hair from Microfiber
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 27, 2016 at 7:36:55 AM on 10.0.1.73 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.