Cleaning Urine on a Suede Couch

Category Leather
Womans hands holding stray bottle and sponge hovering over brown background with a urine spot on it.
Urine can leave a stain as well as an odor on a suede couch. This is a guide about cleaning urine on a suede couch.

My husband and I just got a brand new suede couch. Well last night my three year old fell asleep and peed all over it. It soaked through the cushions and the worst part is the cushions are attached, so I can't take them off to clean them really well. How do I get this awful smell off the couch? I only have a few hours till my husband gets home from work. I would love to have it all cleaned before he gets home cause he wouldn't be a happy camper.

By Courtney from Carlisle, PA

Best Answer

I would be careful about cleaning real leather suede, many products might damage the finish. If you just bought it, I might contact the company or see what cleaning instructions they might have provided.

If it is microfiber fabric that emulates suede, I would try a product called Kidz and Petz. It is an enzyme cleaner similar to Nature's Miracle, but I think it does a better job. It can get into the cushion and treat the odors that went in deep.

Of course, whatever you do, test a small inconspicuous area first.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

How to clean urine stain from a suede leather couch?

By babe from OH

OK, so my little cousin urinated on my brand new suede couch, and I don't know how to clean it. He drew on it a few weeks before, and I was told to use Windex, and that worked to get the ink out. His mother didn't tell me he urinated on it until 2 or 3 days later. Can anyone help me, or do I need a new couch?

Kim from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Urine on a Suede Couch

Your little cousin's mother was a poor guest. She must have been so embarrassed. The idea above about injecting the deodorizing solution is great, and you can buy one needle and syringe at any farm supply store. The big number is the smaller diameter needle. A size 5 needle would be as big as a garden hose
(I exaggerate a little) and a size 18 would be a blood-draw needle. I would choose a 22 or a 25 to leave no holes that show. In dentistry for numbing we use a 30, and it's so slim and bendy you can literally tie it in a knot. Anyway, hope it helps you find the right needle for this job. (09/10/2007)

By kimhis

We are in the midst of potty training my 4 year old son. He had an accident on our brand new suede coach TWICE!! The first one was not bad and I cleaned it quickly afterwards and disinfected without a problem. No smells. This time is really bad! He fell asleep on the couch and really soaked up the cushion and backing. I did the same as before but I still smell the urine. Will dry cleaning take out the smell? Or any other suggestions that are quick. I don't want to let it set for too long or it will never come out.

Mimi from CT

Answers:

Urine on a Suede Couch

Can you remove the cover if so remove it and wash it gentle cycle warm water cool rinse and spray woolite oxy carpet spray on the padding. really soak it. If you cant remove the cover. clean the spot with the spray and injects with a syringe the cleaner every inch in the area and surrounding area. (07/24/2006)

By Dr Beth

Urine on a Suede Couch

Try vinegar or vinegar diluted in water....works great for me for pet urine so I would assume it would work good for this situation. Once dry the vinegar smell dissipates, the mild acidity neutralizes the smell.

Good luck. (07/24/2006)

By Barbie

Urine on a Suede Couch

My daughter just urinated on my microsuede couch. The covers are removable, but I'm not sure if it is safe to soak in the wash under gentle cycle. Can anyone help? (05/07/2007)