Cleaning White Bathroom Tiles That Have Yellowed

The white tile around my bathtub has turned yellow. What can I use to clean the tile and make it white again?

By Pat S from Denton, MD

Have you tried the Magic Eraser? I was amazed by what that little tool can do! Also, depending on the material you might try some muratic acid. Use the acid with care, read directions, use heavy duty gloves, eye protection, mask, etc. I laid tile in an add-on bathroom & didn't get the grout cleaned up quickly enough. I had to mix the muratic acid & scrub some. It did a great job, but I made the kids & pets leave the house & worked small areas at a time.

Try the Magic Erasers first! :)

Ceramic tile will not "turn yellow", so you must have soap scum and/or hard water lime deposits. To remove those, you can start with vinegar, which is not as strong an acid as muratic, and may do the trick. Spray it on full strength and leave for a few minutes. Scrub.

If it is mostly soap buildup, a cleaner like Mr Clean or an abrasive cleaner like Comet will work. Wet down the tile, sprinkle or splash on the cleanser, let sit, and then use an abrasive sponge (one with a scrubby thing on one side). I sometimes use the Magic Eraser with Mr Clean liquid. It is a slightly abrasive sponge type thing, really, but it wears away very quickly.

Man Cleaning Shower Tiles
Cleaning Shower Tiles
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJuly 29, 2011
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile
Yellowed Refrigerator Handles
Cleaning Yellowed Refrigerator Handles