Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Windows (Inside and Outside)

Cleaning windows can be daunting taks but there are ways to make the job easier. This is a guide about cleaning windows inside and out.

A man cleaning a window.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Low- E windows are best cleaned with vinegar, water, or a microfiber cloth. Some household cleaners can damage the coating and should not be used. This is a guide about cleaning Pella low-e glass windows.

August 10, 2011 Flag

I figured this out years ago because I am short and we have lots of windows that need to be washed using a step ladder. Buy an inexpensive liquid dishwasher detergent (for a dishwasher) that has a "sheeting action" in the soap. Fill a bucket with warm water and stir in 1 cup of dishwashing detergent (for a dishwasher).

Go outside and set up your garden hose for rinsing the windows. First rinse the window with clear water. Then using a sponge mop on a handle dipped into the detergent, wash your window. Follow with a clean water rinse and let dry. The sheeting action of the detergent will leave the windows streak free.

By Shirley from Vicksburg, MI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Finally and easier way to clean my windows outside! I also like the idea of the dishwasher detergent with sheeting action to prevent streaks! I guess you know what I'll be doing this weekend. ;) Thank you.

Window with contact paper on it.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Contact paper left for a long time on windows can be difficult to remove, as age and the sun can affect the adhesive. This is a guide about removing old contact paper from windows.

I hated cleaning our outside windows. It was a lot of work. Expensive too.

Cleaning the outside of windows the easy way using Cascade and hot water.

filters

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about clean windows with coffee filters. Paper coffee filters can be used to clean your windows, leaving them streak and lint free.

Clean your windows with just water. I slightly dampen a clean terry cloth towel/rag with water and clean my windows with them. You may have to experiment to get the towel just moist enough to do the job without getting it so moist it leaves water spots.

To clean glass mirrors and windows, I use a microfiber cloth. Wet the cloth well and wring out as much water as you can. Spray the window with Glass Plus, that is what I use, then quickly wipe the mirror dry.

Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and horizontal for inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the streaks. Straight vinegar will get outside windows really clean.

I have a huge bag of my husband cotton T-shirts he has discarded, so I started using them to clean all my windows. I am so happy, my windows look great.

If you have a problem reaching for cleaning windows or anything high inside or out, purchase a telescopic window washer; the kind they use for cleaning bus windows. It works like a charm!

Instead of using paper towels or newspaper for cleaning your windows, try using the collection of wash cloths you have and never use, or pick up some cheap ones at a yard sale. They do a terrific job with a lot less elbow grease and there's no lint on the windows or black on your hands.

Mobile Home Windows

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning mobile home windows. Having clean windows inside and out on your home is wonderful, although it is not always easy to remove screens and reach all parts of the glass.

I ran out of paper toweling and I don't want to buy any more. I used a cloth baby diaper to wipe down my windows and mirrors. It works great - no streaks! Now I just have to make my own glass cleaner with vinegar and water.

Mix white vinegar 50 - 50 with water and put in a spray bottle. Spray it on generously. . .

Try using newspaper to clean mirrors and glass. First spray on the cleaning product, then wipe dry with the newspaper. I find paper with just black ink works best, and not slick, shiny paper - just plain old newspaper.

If you have run out of window cleaner, use a damp newspaper. They work really well and do not streak the glass. Be sure you only use it on glass and do not use newspaper with colored print on it.

Joy dish detergent works great for cleaning glass tables and windows. It doesn't leave streaks. I use it faithfully.

Forget microfibre cloths and proprietary cleaners. Place a sheet of newspaper in a basin of water; if it doesn't disintegrate, it's ideal for cleaning glass (windscreens, mirrors, and panes).

September 14, 2016 Flag

I need to clean my business windows. I'm on a busy main road were anything from farm vehicles, semis, cars, and so on are passing. There is lots of wind blowing dirt, chemicals, and more. I've cleaned the outside windows with Windex, ammonia, vinegar, and tried the toothpaste. I still have these dirty not appealing spots on the window. What else do I try before paying $300 for my 9'x9' window to be cleaned by a pro.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would use some clothes or dish detergent, make a lather, and using some sort of brush or cloth, really build up a lather and scrape those windows. THen, rinse it off. YOU might also consider treating your windows with some special covering that eluded dirt.

August 6, 2016 Flag

What is a good way to clean outside windows on a house?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vinegar and newspaper are a great way to clean windows. Also using Windex works great.

If you need to reach, you could use a Swiffer.

September 24, 2015 Flag

I bought an older home that has a sunroom. I don't really want to replace the windows because they are in working order, but they have a film on them due to the sun and other reasons. Is there a way to get this film off or to at least brighten and clean them up?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Addendum:

Thinking further on this-if the sunroom windows were not cleaned properly before you bought your house, it is possible that they were permanently affected/damaged by whatever cleaners were used in the past. The "film" you see may be the result of bad cleaning products used over the years and may be permanent.

Good Luck!

June 5, 2009 Flag

What can I use for cleaning windows? How do I use vinegar for window cleaning?

By gauchogran from Stockton, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a previous tip of the day from this site

1/2 tsp liquid dish washing soap

1/4 cup vinegar

2 cups water

Put it in a spray bottle and shake to mix.

I don't subscribe to a newspaper...so I just use paper towels.

March 24, 2010 Flag

We have multiple dots developing on our low E windows. They are in the front and back of house, so it doesn't matter which direction the sun is coming from. We had the original installer out to look at them, but since they are beyond warranty, he just shrugged his shoulders and said he had never seen this problem and we were pretty much ignored.

Has anyone heard of this and what might be causing it? They spots are definite round circles as are polka dots.

By Laurie from Edmonton, Alberta

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had new pella windows installed on our house a few years ago, we had large circles on windows. They said it was from the factory the way they move the glass, it took a few years to remove them, and when the sun is just right they still show. Pella did not stand behind the windows like they should have, the local window company that installed them messed up and the company said it was due to poor installation, and the local glass company said it was a fault of the pella 's manufacturing. That put us in the middle with no fix to problems. Loved the windows with the shades in between panes, but would not ever go through pella again.

April 23, 2015 Flag

What can be used to clean tinted vinyl sunporch windows?

By Donna from South Daytona, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 28, 2010 Flag

I have just had new PVC windows installed and there seems to be some sort of scummy marks on the glass, it's like grease or something. Everything I have tried to clean the glass with just seems to wash over the scum and I have tried everything I can think of. Any ideas?

By Kathleen from UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This works for me every time, first wash the windows with warm water with a few drops of dish washing detergent in it. Then while the window is still a bit damp but not dripping with water use kitchen paper and white vineger to polish to a sparkling finish.

To be even more frugal newspaper works well for the polishing stage too.

I do not know what is on my windows. Whatever it is it smudges and stays on them when I wash them. They actually look foggy when the sun shines in. It's on my new car windows, too.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsAugust 5, 2011
Mobile Home Windows
Cleaning Mobile Home Windows
filters
Clean Windows With Coffee Filters
Window with contact paper on it.
Removing Old Contact Paper from Windows
A man cleaning a window.
Cleaning Pella Low-E Glass Windows
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 6:23:46 PM on 10.0.0.4 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.