Cleaning Windows (Inside and Outside)

Cleaning windows can be daunting taks but there are ways to make the job easier. This is a guide about cleaning windows inside and out.

Hand holding a squeegee swiping soap off a window.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I figured this out years ago because I am short and we have lots of windows that need to be washed using a step ladder. Buy an inexpensive liquid dishwasher detergent (for a dishwasher) that has a "sheeting action" in the soap. Fill a bucket with warm water and stir in 1 cup of dishwashing detergent (for a dishwasher).

Go outside and set up your garden hose for rinsing the windows. First rinse the window with clear water. Then using a sponge mop on a handle dipped into the detergent, wash your window. Follow with a clean water rinse and let dry. The sheeting action of the detergent will leave the windows streak free.

By Shirley from Vicksburg, MI

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I bought an older home that has a sunroom. I don't really want to replace the windows because they are in working order, but they have a film on them due to the sun and other reasons. Is there a way to get this film off or to at least brighten and clean them up?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If they are insulated windows, the seal may be broken and the film may be on the inside between the two panes. If so, you won't be able to remove that.

Don't wash windows when the sun is shining on them. Wait until they are in the shade.

I have found out recently that using old wash clothes that have no tread and are slick, make good rags for cleaning windows.

A quart of 1/2 white vinegar, 1/2 water and a drop or two of dawn dish detergent makes a good cleaner. Wash the windows with one cloth and dry it with a dry cloth. It will not leave any streaks.

I won't be using any more paper towels for cleaning windows. I have plenty of old thin wash clothes that I have stuffed back to use for rags. After each use, I can wash them and use over and over. No waste.

Now that I have finally gotten around to cleaning out the closets and getting rid of clutter, I'm glad I held on to these rags and did not throw them away.

Read More Answers...

I hated cleaning our outside windows. It was a lot of work. Expensive too.
    I was looking for a way to clean them cheaply on the fly without breaking my back.

Now I buy the cheapest off-season windshield washer fluid I can find, usually a no-name brand, dump it undiluted into a pail and using a telescopic long handled window cleaner sponge/scraper, the job is done in no time without having the backache afterwards that I always used to get.

Suggestions: Buy the summer time windshield washer in the fall when everyone wants to get rid of inventory, and vice versa in the spring when the winter fluid is on sale. You can get a gallon for little over $1.

Use a rectangular shaped pail instead of a round one. You can get these at the dollar store. It's easier for the window cleaning tool to get in and out of.

Ever wonder how window washers get those skyscrapers so clean and shiny? My son used to be a window washer, here is how they do it! Take a bucket of warm water, add JOY dish soap (only use Joy), and a drop of ammonia if the weather is cold. Apply then squeegee off. Great for windows, mirrors, and bathtub tiles!

Source: My son, now the plumber!

By Jodi from Aurora, CO

When cleaning windows, use automatic coffee filters instead of paper towels. They work excellently, and they do not leave lint or smears behind. They also stay together

What can I use for cleaning windows? How do I use vinegar for window cleaning?

By gauchogran from Stockton, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A much less expensive product is windshield washer fluid - works great for a whole lot less!

Read More Answers...

Into a bucket place:

1 cup Cascade

Fill bucket with hot water

Notice the suds! If they go away during the cleaning process, pour mixture out and start over.

Wet window with hose. Using a "clean" (this is important) car washing brush (with handle), dip the brush in cascade solution then scrub window and frame beginning at the top, rinse.

DO NOT PUT DIRTY BRUSH IN CASCADE SOLUTION, RINSE BRUSH OFF WITH HOSE FIRST!

Rinse each window and window facing before proceeding to next section (ie: if window is large, wash top, rinse and then do bottom.)

The object here is to rinse windows before solution dries. I can do the top and bottom of one window before I have to rinse. If your Cascade solution dries, you have to do entire window over.

I have 20 long windows on my ground floor. I can clean all of them in about 30 minutes.

Added benefit: this solution also gets rid of spiders living in your windows.

By Frances

I have Pella low-E glass windows, approximately 40 windows. To have them professionally cleaned is costing approximately $400. Due to the low-E glass they are difficult to clean. When I do it, if the sun shines in they look like they haven't been cleaned in ten years. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I hate to keep throwing away money on something that I could easily do if I could get good results.

Mary from Kiel, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Whatever you do, do NOT use ammonia on low E windows. Mine were permanently stained when a window-washer cleaned them with dishwashing detergent and ammonia mixed together. Then he didn't completely remove the solution. A few days later we noticed permanent stains on the windows in these areas. The manufacturers should put a warning label on low E windows. Do NOT use ammonia.

Read More Answers...

Can anyone help with a do-it-yourself solution for cleaning outside windows and screens? Sure would appreciate any good mix that works.

Leo

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dear friend taught me to use full strength dish soap -- spray the windows with plain water, then squirt a bit of the dishsoap on the windows. Then use a brush or a sponge mop and scrub the window. Then just spray the suds off and you have beautiful clean windows. They dry sparkling.

Read More Answers...

Use oven cleaner to clean stains from windows. Spray the glass, let it sit 5-10 minutes then wipe.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Clean your windows with just water. I slightly dampen a clean terry cloth towel/rag with water and clean my windows with them. You may have to experiment to get the towel just moist enough to do the job without getting it so moist it leaves water spots.

I am trying to remove Contact paper off my upper bedroom window. It has become baked on after 4 yrs. I have used Awesome liquid (I buy it at the Dollar Store for $1), undiluted, to remove the glue from windows. However, the Contact paper is not coming off. I need help ASAP. The apartment posted a note on my door yesterday, saying it had to be off yesterday. I need to know what to remove it all today. (7-18-2012). Thank you.

By Loretta Marie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi -Have you tried 'G00-Gone"? I get it in a spray bottle, but I believe it comes in small regular bottles. I wouldn't be without it. It takes the glue off all the sticky labels on things. It should work on the glue left from the contact paper.

Hope it works!

Read More Answers...

I have a huge bag of my husband cotton T-shirts he has discarded, so I started using them to clean all my windows. I am so happy, my windows look great.

To clean glass mirrors and windows, I use a microfiber cloth. Wet the cloth well and wring out as much water as you can. spray the window with glass plus, that is what I use, then quickly wipe the mirror dry.

We have multiple dots developing on our low E windows. They are in the front and back of house, so it doesn't matter which direction the sun is coming from. We had the original installer out to look at them, but since they are beyond warranty, he just shrugged his shoulders and said he had never seen this problem and we were pretty much ignored.

Has anyone heard of this and what might be causing it? They spots are definite round circles as are polka dots.

By Laurie from Edmonton, Alberta

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact the window manufacturer.

Read More Answers...

How do I remove contact paper from windows that have has been on over 5 years?

Catina from Heidelberg, MS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Other way is to use a razor the kind used to scrape glass top ovens (only on glass windows), and then clean the sticky residue with goo gone.

Read More Answers...

I have just had new PVC windows installed and there seems to be some sort of scummy marks on the glass, it's like grease or something. Everything I have tried to clean the glass with just seems to wash over the scum and I have tried everything I can think of. Any ideas?

By Kathleen from UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact your installer and tell them your problem, could be a manufacturing defect.

Read More Answers...

I do not know what is on my windows. Whatever it is it smudges and stays on them when I wash them. They actually look foggy when the sun shines in. It's on my new car windows, too. I've tried everything I can think of to remove it, but nothing works.

I live in a fairly wooded area and I think it's something from the trees. It starts out as a very very small white/clear dot and when I wash them it smears and nothing will touch it
      help

By DB

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband has to park his car under pine trees at work.(assigned parking places) The sap can be removed with rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, or WD-40. Scrub the area with a rag soaked with one of these. When the window stops feeling tacky to the touch, wash with your usual method. Do not get on the paint of your car as it will cause damage. The rubbing alcohol and an old tee shirt seeem to work best for me, followed by Windex. The alcohol I use comes from the dollar store, making this the most economical method. Hope this helps.

Instead of using paper towels or newspaper for cleaning your windows, try using the collection of wash cloths you have and never use, or pick up some cheap ones at a yard sale. They do a terrific job with a lot less elbow grease and there's no lint on the windows or black on your hands.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and horizontal for inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the streaks. Straight vinegar will get outside windows really clean.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I ran out of paper toweling and I don't want to buy any more. I used a cloth baby diaper to wipe down my windows and mirrors. It works great - no streaks! Now I just have to make my own glass cleaner with vinegar and water.

If you have a problem reaching for cleaning windows or anything high inside or out, purchase a telescopic window washer; the kind they use for cleaning bus windows. It works like a charm!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mix white vinegar 50 - 50 with water and put in a spray bottle. Spray it on generously. . .

Try using newspaper to clean mirrors and glass. First spray on the cleaning product, then wipe dry with the newspaper. I find paper with just black ink works best, and not slick, shiny paper - just plain old newspaper.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have run out of window cleaner, use a damp newspaper. They work really well and do not streak the glass. Be sure you only use it on glass and do not use newspaper with colored print on it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Load More
      Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsAugust 5, 2011
      Mobile Home Windows
      Cleaning Mobile Home Windows
      Cleaning Windows
      Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
      A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
      Building with Recycled Windows
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 23, 2016 at 3:05:21 PM on 10.0.1.118 in 496 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.