Cleaning Windows (Inside and Outside)

Cleaning windows can be daunting taks but there are ways to make the job easier. This is a guide about cleaning windows inside and out.

August 10, 2011 Flag

I figured this out years ago because I am short and we have lots of windows that need to be washed using a step ladder. Buy an inexpensive liquid dishwasher detergent (for a dishwasher) that has a "sheeting action" in the soap. Fill a bucket with warm water and stir in 1 cup of dishwashing detergent (for a dishwasher).

Go outside and set up your garden hose for rinsing the windows. First rinse the window with clear water. Then using a sponge mop on a handle dipped into the detergent, wash your window. Follow with a clean water rinse and let dry. The sheeting action of the detergent will leave the windows streak free.

By Shirley from Vicksburg, MI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Finally and easier way to clean my windows outside! I also like the idea of the dishwasher detergent with sheeting action to prevent streaks! I guess you know what I'll be doing this weekend. ;) Thank you.

December 1, 2012 Flag

I hated cleaning our outside windows. It was a lot of work. Expensive too.
I was looking for a way to clean them cheaply on the fly without breaking my back.

Now I buy the cheapest off-season windshield washer fluid I can find, usually a no-name brand, dump it undiluted into a pail and using a telescopic long handled window cleaner sponge/scraper, the job is done in no time without having the backache afterwards that I always used to get.

Suggestions: Buy the summer time windshield washer in the fall when everyone wants to get rid of inventory, and vice versa in the spring when the winter fluid is on sale. You can get a gallon for little over $1.

Use a rectangular shaped pail instead of a round one. You can get these at the dollar store. It's easier for the window cleaning tool to get in and out of.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Even cheaper, I make my own car windshield washer fluid for pennies a gallon. Use a 1 gallon milk jug or similar one. Pour in 1 bottle of alcohol, then refill alcohol bottle with distilled vinegar, add that plus 2T dawn dish washer liquid, then fill the gallon jug with water. You have 1 gallon of washer fluid, that will not freeze, cleans exceptionally well, and lasts a long time as well. This also cleans windows great.

April 15, 2005 Flag

Into a bucket place put 1 cup Cascade and then fill the rest of the bucket with hot water.

Notice the suds! If they go away during the cleaning process, pour the mixture out and start over.

Wet the windows with a hose. Using a "clean" (this is important) car washing brush (with handle), dip the brush in cascade solution then scrub window and frame beginning at the top, rinse.

Do not put the dirty brush back into the bucket, rinse it off first!

Rinse each window and window facing before proceeding to next section (ie: if window is large, wash top, rinse and then do bottom.)

The object here is to rinse windows before the cleaning solution dries. I can do the top and bottom of one window before I have to rinse. If your Cascade solution dries, you have to do entire window over.

I have 20 long windows on my ground floor. I can clean all of them in about 30 minutes.

Added benefit: this solution also gets rid of spiders living in your windows.

By Frances

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm all for anything that doesn't streak. Thanks. :)

July 27, 2016 Flag

filters

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about clean windows with coffee filters. Paper coffee filters can be used to clean your windows, leaving them streak and lint free.

February 17, 2010 Flag

Clean your windows with just water. I slightly dampen a clean terry cloth towel/rag with water and clean my windows with them. You may have to experiment to get the towel just moist enough to do the job without getting it so moist it leaves water spots.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 17, 2007 Flag

I have a huge bag of my husband cotton T-shirts he has discarded, so I started using them to clean all my windows. I am so happy, my windows look great.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 13, 2008 Flag

To clean glass mirrors and windows, I use a microfiber cloth. Wet the cloth well and wring out as much water as you can. Spray the window with Glass Plus, that is what I use, then quickly wipe the mirror dry.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 10, 2007 Flag

Instead of using paper towels or newspaper for cleaning your windows, try using the collection of wash cloths you have and never use, or pick up some cheap ones at a yard sale. They do a terrific job with a lot less elbow grease and there's no lint on the windows or black on your hands.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 24, 2011 Flag

Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and horizontal for inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the streaks. Straight vinegar will get outside windows really clean.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 14, 2009 Flag

I ran out of paper toweling and I don't want to buy any more. I used a cloth baby diaper to wipe down my windows and mirrors. It works great - no streaks! Now I just have to make my own glass cleaner with vinegar and water.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 20, 2011 Flag

If you have a problem reaching for cleaning windows or anything high inside or out, purchase a telescopic window washer; the kind they use for cleaning bus windows. It works like a charm!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 21, 2014 Flag

Mobile Home Windows

This is a guide about cleaning mobile home windows. Having clean windows inside and out on your home is wonderful, although it is not always easy to remove screens and reach all parts of the glass.

July 25, 2006 Flag

Mix white vinegar 50 - 50 with water and put in a spray bottle. Spray it on generously. . .

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 18, 2010 Flag

Try using newspaper to clean mirrors and glass. First spray on the cleaning product, then wipe dry with the newspaper. I find paper with just black ink works best, and not slick, shiny paper - just plain old newspaper.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 1, 2010 Flag

If you have run out of window cleaner, use a damp newspaper. They work really well and do not streak the glass. Be sure you only use it on glass and do not use newspaper with colored print on it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 12, 2010 Flag

Joy dish detergent works great for cleaning glass tables and windows. It doesn't leave streaks. I use it faithfully.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 29, 2005 Flag

Forget microfibre cloths and proprietary cleaners. Place a sheet of newspaper in a basin of water; if it doesn't disintegrate, it's ideal for cleaning glass (windscreens, mirrors, and panes).

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 14, 2016 Flag

I need to clean my business windows. I'm on a busy main road were anything from farm vehicles, semis, cars, and so on are passing. There is lots of wind blowing dirt, chemicals, and more. I've cleaned the outside windows with Windex, ammonia, vinegar, and tried the toothpaste. I still have these dirty not appealing spots on the window. What else do I try before paying $300 for my 9'x9' window to be cleaned by a pro.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would use some clothes or dish detergent, make a lather, and using some sort of brush or cloth, really build up a lather and scrape those windows. THen, rinse it off. YOU might also consider treating your windows with some special covering that eluded dirt.

September 24, 2015 Flag

I bought an older home that has a sunroom. I don't really want to replace the windows because they are in working order, but they have a film on them due to the sun and other reasons. Is there a way to get this film off or to at least brighten and clean them up?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Addendum:

Thinking further on this-if the sunroom windows were not cleaned properly before you bought your house, it is possible that they were permanently affected/damaged by whatever cleaners were used in the past. The "film" you see may be the result of bad cleaning products used over the years and may be permanent.

Good Luck!

June 5, 2009 Flag

What can I use for cleaning windows? How do I use vinegar for window cleaning?

By gauchogran from Stockton, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a previous tip of the day from this site

1/2 tsp liquid dish washing soap

1/4 cup vinegar

2 cups water

Put it in a spray bottle and shake to mix.

I don't subscribe to a newspaper...so I just use paper towels.

August 6, 2016 Flag

What is a good way to clean outside windows on a house?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 24, 2010 Flag

We have multiple dots developing on our low E windows. They are in the front and back of house, so it doesn't matter which direction the sun is coming from. We had the original installer out to look at them, but since they are beyond warranty, he just shrugged his shoulders and said he had never seen this problem and we were pretty much ignored.

Has anyone heard of this and what might be causing it? They spots are definite round circles as are polka dots.

By Laurie from Edmonton, Alberta

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had new pella windows installed on our house a few years ago, we had large circles on windows. They said it was from the factory the way they move the glass, it took a few years to remove them, and when the sun is just right they still show. Pella did not stand behind the windows like they should have, the local window company that installed them messed up and the company said it was due to poor installation, and the local glass company said it was a fault of the pella 's manufacturing. That put us in the middle with no fix to problems. Loved the windows with the shades in between panes, but would not ever go through pella again.

July 28, 2010 Flag

I have just had new PVC windows installed and there seems to be some sort of scummy marks on the glass, it's like grease or something. Everything I have tried to clean the glass with just seems to wash over the scum and I have tried everything I can think of. Any ideas?

By Kathleen from UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This works for me every time, first wash the windows with warm water with a few drops of dish washing detergent in it. Then while the window is still a bit damp but not dripping with water use kitchen paper and white vineger to polish to a sparkling finish.

To be even more frugal newspaper works well for the polishing stage too.

September 25, 2012 Flag

I do not know what is on my windows. Whatever it is it smudges and stays on them when I wash them. They actually look foggy when the sun shines in. It's on my new car windows, too. I've tried everything I can think of to remove it, but nothing works.

I live in a fairly wooded area and I think it's something from the trees. It starts out as a very very small white/clear dot and when I wash them it smears and nothing will touch it
help

By DB

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband has to park his car under pine trees at work.(assigned parking places) The sap can be removed with rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, or WD-40. Scrub the area with a rag soaked with one of these. When the window stops feeling tacky to the touch, wash with your usual method. Do not get on the paint of your car as it will cause damage. The rubbing alcohol and an old tee shirt seeem to work best for me, followed by Windex. The alcohol I use comes from the dollar store, making this the most economical method. Hope this helps.

April 23, 2015 Flag

What can be used to clean tinted vinyl sunporch windows?

By Donna from South Daytona, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 2, 2014 Flag

My husband sprayed hornet and wasp spray above a window and the drift left streaks on the window below. How can I remove wasp spray stains from our window?

By Lou L

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsAugust 5, 2011
Mobile Home Windows
Cleaning Mobile Home Windows
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
filters
Clean Windows With Coffee Filters
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 2:13:15 AM on 10.0.2.252 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.