Browsing: Cleaning Windows (Inside and Outside)

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Windows (Inside and Outside)

Cleaning windows can be daunting taks but there are ways to make the job easier. This is a guide about cleaning windows inside and out.

Hand holding a squeegee swiping soap off a window.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 10, 2011 Flag

I figured this out years ago because I am short and we have lots of windows that need to be washed using a step ladder. Buy an inexpensive liquid dishwasher detergent (for a dishwasher) that has a "sheeting action" in the soap. Fill a bucket with warm water and stir in 1 cup of dishwashing detergent (for a dishwasher).

Go outside and set up your garden hose for rinsing the windows. First rinse the window with clear water. Then using a sponge mop on a handle dipped into the detergent, wash your window. Follow with a clean water rinse and let dry. The sheeting action of the detergent will leave the windows streak free.

By Shirley from Vicksburg, MI

September 14, 2016 Flag

I need to clean my business windows. I'm on a busy main road were anything from farm vehicles, semis, cars, and so on are passing. There is lots of wind blowing dirt, chemicals, and more. I've cleaned the outside windows with Windex, ammonia, vinegar, and tried the toothpaste. I still have these dirty not appealing spots on the window. What else do I try before paying $300 for my 9'x9' window to be cleaned by a pro.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 27, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about clean windows with coffee filters. Paper coffee filters can be used to clean your windows, leaving them streak and lint free.

filters

December 1, 2012 Flag

I hated cleaning our outside windows. It was a lot of work. Expensive too.
I was looking for a way to clean them cheaply on the fly without breaking my back.

Now I buy the cheapest off-season windshield washer fluid I can find, usually a no-name brand, dump it undiluted into a pail and using a telescopic long handled window cleaner sponge/scraper, the job is done in no time without having the backache afterwards that I always used to get.

Suggestions: Buy the summer time windshield washer in the fall when everyone wants to get rid of inventory, and vice versa in the spring when the winter fluid is on sale. You can get a gallon for little over $1.

Use a rectangular shaped pail instead of a round one. You can get these at the dollar store. It's easier for the window cleaning tool to get in and out of.

January 13, 2011 Flag

Ever wonder how window washers get those skyscrapers so clean and shiny? My son used to be a window washer, here is how they do it! Take a bucket of warm water, add JOY dish soap, and a drop of ammonia if the weather is cold.

April 15, 2005 Flag

Into a bucket place: 1 cup Cascade. Fill bucket with hot water. Notice the suds! If they go away during the cleaning process, pour mixture out and start over

August 6, 2016 Flag

What is a good way to clean outside windows on a house?

September 24, 2015 Flag

I bought an older home that has a sunroom. I don't really want to replace the windows because they are in working order, but they have a film on them due to the sun and other reasons. Is there a way to get this film off or to at least brighten and clean them up?

Addendum:

Thinking further on this-if the sunroom windows were not cleaned properly before you bought your house, it is possible that they were permanently affected/damaged by whatever cleaners were used in the past. The "film" you see may be the result of bad cleaning products used over the years and may be permanent.

Good Luck!

If they are insulated windows, the seal may be broken and the film may be on the inside between the two panes. If so, you won't be able to remove that.

Don't wash windows when the sun is shining on them. Wait until they are in the shade.

I have found out recently that using old wash clothes that have no tread and are slick, make good rags for cleaning windows.

A quart of 1/2 white vinegar, 1/2 water and a drop or two of dawn dish detergent makes a good cleaner. Wash the windows with one cloth and dry it with a dry cloth. It will not leave any streaks.

I won't be using any more paper towels for cleaning windows. I have plenty of old thin wash clothes that I have stuffed back to use for rags. After each use, I can wash them and use over and over. No waste.

Now that I have finally gotten around to cleaning out the closets and getting rid of clutter, I'm glad I held on to these rags and did not throw them away.

February 17, 2010 Flag

Clean your windows with just water. I slightly dampen a clean terry cloth towel/rag with water and clean my windows with them. You may have to experiment to get the towel just moist enough to do the job without getting it so moist it leaves water spots.

September 17, 2007 Flag

I have a huge bag of my husband cotton T-shirts he has discarded, so I started using them to clean all my windows. I am so happy, my windows look great.

March 13, 2008 Flag

To clean glass mirrors and windows, I use a microfiber cloth. Wet the cloth well and wring out as much water as you can. Spray the window with Glass Plus, that is what I use, then quickly wipe the mirror dry.

August 10, 2007 Flag

Instead of using paper towels or newspaper for cleaning your windows, try using the collection of wash cloths you have and never use, or pick up some cheap ones at a yard sale. They do a terrific job with a lot less elbow grease and there's no lint on the windows or black on your hands.

June 5, 2009 Flag

What can I use for cleaning windows? How do I use vinegar for window cleaning?

By gauchogran from Stockton, CA

I use a previous tip of the day from this site

1/2 tsp liquid dish washing soap

1/4 cup vinegar

2 cups water

Put it in a spray bottle and shake to mix.

I don't subscribe to a newspaper...so I just use paper towels.

A much less expensive product is windshield washer fluid - works great for a whole lot less!

May 24, 2011 Flag

Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and horizontal for inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the streaks. Straight vinegar will get outside windows really clean.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsAugust 5, 2011
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Installing a New Window
Hiring Someone to Replace Your Windows
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:24:09 AM on 10.0.2.218 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.