Browsing: Cleaning Windows (Inside and Outside)

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Windows (Inside and Outside)

Cleaning windows can be daunting taks but there are ways to make the job easier. This is a guide about cleaning windows inside and out.

Hand holding a squeegee swiping soap off a window.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 10, 2011 Flag

I figured this out years ago because I am short and we have lots of windows that need to be washed using a step ladder. Buy an inexpensive liquid dishwasher detergent (for a dishwasher) that has a "sheeting action" in the soap. Fill a bucket with warm water and stir in 1 cup of dishwashing detergent (for a dishwasher).

Go outside and set up your garden hose for rinsing the windows. First rinse the window with clear water. Then using a sponge mop on a handle dipped into the detergent, wash your window. Follow with a clean water rinse and let dry. The sheeting action of the detergent will leave the windows streak free.

By Shirley from Vicksburg, MI

August 6, 2016 Flag

What is a good way to clean outside windows on a house?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 27, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about clean windows with coffee filters. Paper coffee filters can be used to clean your windows, leaving them streak and lint free.

filters

September 24, 2015 Flag

I bought an older home that has a sunroom. I don't really want to replace the windows because they are in working order, but they have a film on them due to the sun and other reasons. Is there a way to get this film off or to at least brighten and clean them up?

If they are insulated windows, the seal may be broken and the film may be on the inside between the two panes. If so, you won't be able to remove that.

Don't wash windows when the sun is shining on them. Wait until they are in the shade.

I have found out recently that using old wash clothes that have no tread and are slick, make good rags for cleaning windows.

A quart of 1/2 white vinegar, 1/2 water and a drop or two of dawn dish detergent makes a good cleaner. Wash the windows with one cloth and dry it with a dry cloth. It will not leave any streaks.

I won't be using any more paper towels for cleaning windows. I have plenty of old thin wash clothes that I have stuffed back to use for rags. After each use, I can wash them and use over and over. No waste.

Now that I have finally gotten around to cleaning out the closets and getting rid of clutter, I'm glad I held on to these rags and did not throw them away.

Read More Answers...

December 1, 2012 Flag

I hated cleaning our outside windows. It was a lot of work. Expensive too.
I was looking for a way to clean them cheaply on the fly without breaking my back.

Now I buy the cheapest off-season windshield washer fluid I can find, usually a no-name brand, dump it undiluted into a pail and using a telescopic long handled window cleaner sponge/scraper, the job is done in no time without having the backache afterwards that I always used to get.

Suggestions: Buy the summer time windshield washer in the fall when everyone wants to get rid of inventory, and vice versa in the spring when the winter fluid is on sale. You can get a gallon for little over $1.

Use a rectangular shaped pail instead of a round one. You can get these at the dollar store. It's easier for the window cleaning tool to get in and out of.

January 13, 2011 Flag

Ever wonder how window washers get those skyscrapers so clean and shiny? My son used to be a window washer, here is how they do it! Take a bucket of warm water, add JOY dish soap, and a drop of ammonia if the weather is cold.

June 5, 2009 Flag

What can I use for cleaning windows? How do I use vinegar for window cleaning?

By gauchogran from Stockton, CA

A much less expensive product is windshield washer fluid - works great for a whole lot less!

Read More Answers...

April 15, 2005 Flag

Into a bucket place: 1 cup Cascade. Fill bucket with hot water. Notice the suds! If they go away during the cleaning process, pour mixture out and start over

March 2, 2009 Flag

I have Pella low-E glass windows, approximately 40 windows. To have them professionally cleaned is costing approximately $400. Due to the low-E glass they are difficult to clean. When I do it, if the sun shines in they look like they haven't been cleaned in ten years. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I hate to keep throwing away money on something that I could easily do if I could get good results.

Mary from Kiel, WI

Whatever you do, do NOT use ammonia on low E windows. Mine were permanently stained when a window-washer cleaned them with dishwashing detergent and ammonia mixed together. Then he didn't completely remove the solution. A few days later we noticed permanent stains on the windows in these areas. The manufacturers should put a warning label on low E windows. Do NOT use ammonia.

Read More Answers...

February 23, 2009 Flag

Can anyone help with a do-it-yourself solution for cleaning outside windows and screens? Sure would appreciate any good mix that works.

Leo

My dear friend taught me to use full strength dish soap -- spray the windows with plain water, then squirt a bit of the dishsoap on the windows. Then use a brush or a sponge mop and scrub the window. Then just spray the suds off and you have beautiful clean windows. They dry sparkling.

Read More Answers...

February 17, 2010 Flag

Clean your windows with just water. I slightly dampen a clean terry cloth towel/rag with water and clean my windows with them. You may have to experiment to get the towel just moist enough to do the job without getting it so moist it leaves water spots.

September 17, 2007 Flag

I have a huge bag of my husband cotton T-shirts he has discarded, so I started using them to clean all my windows. I am so happy, my windows look great.

March 13, 2008 Flag

To clean glass mirrors and windows, I use a microfiber cloth. Wet the cloth well and wring out as much water as you can. Spray the window with Glass Plus, that is what I use, then quickly wipe the mirror dry.

March 24, 2010 Flag

We have multiple dots developing on our low E windows. They are in the front and back of house, so it doesn't matter which direction the sun is coming from.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsAugust 5, 2011
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Installing a New Window
Hiring Someone to Replace Your Windows
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 3:16:03 PM on 10.0.2.19 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.