Cleaning With Bleach

bleach bottle
It is important to be careful when using this household sanitizer. This guide is about cleaning with bleach.

Take the clothes from your soaking pail (or other) and wring them out and toss in the washer.

• Grab your sponge or cloth and saturate it in the laundry soak water and wipe down any number of bleach safe places or items.

• Grab your mop and do the floor real quick.

• Pour a little of it down your drains to freshen them.

• Dump the bleach water into the toilet and either allow it to sit a little while and swish or swish it right then (depending how busy your bathrooms are).

Yes, by the time the bleach water ends up in the toddy, it is dirty but still bleachy. The floor dirt that's in it will be flushed down instead of poured down a sink to not serve any real purpose.

By melody_yesterday

• July 1, 2009

It's so easy to make mistakes with chlorine bleach! So I poke a little hole in the foil on top of the closing of the bottle to give me more control over the flow of the bleach. It makes you more conscious of how much you are using, too.

By Pamphyila from LA, CA

For fast sanitizing clean ups, get a spray water bottle and mix a small amount of bleach (a cap full) and fill the rest of the bottle with water. Keep it next to your sink (somewhere away from the kids) and when there is a mess, just spritz and clean up. Fast and clean.

By Heather

The other day I ran out of ultra bleach and I noticed in the laundry room, I had a full bottle of store brand bleach and I thought great I don't have to go to the store. So I did a load of whites, put in soap powders and some bleach. When the washer stopped I put clothes in the dryer. Later, I noticed when I was folding the clothes they didn't seem that white. I thought, maybe I didn't put that much bleach in or it didn't work well because it was a store brand. Anyhow, today Hubby was helping me clean out the closet which was long overdue. I had some white things that had turned kinda yellow from being stacked behind the closet. I thought I'd wash them with some bleach. Remembering the last time I used this bleach I was sure to put some extra bleach in to make sure the laundry would be white. Once again I noticed the laundry wasn't as white as it should have been. I told my hubby that this store brand of bleach is lousy. I couldn't get anything white, and in fact, the laundry has no bleach smell at all. He told me, "honey, I think that's an empty bottle I put water in". I said: "Your kidding. LOL. I'm glad you told me cause I was going to take that bottle of bleach back to the store and tell them it didn't get my clothes white and the laundry didn't even smell like bleach". Boy, am I glad he told me.

Can you mix Dawn with bleach safely?

By Kathy

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

It is safe to mix with SOME Dawn Dishwashing soap, though I have to admit that my cleaning results were not as great and wonderful as many websites claim. Read the back of the Dawn (or other dish soap) bottle. Some varieties of Dawn say nothing about bleach -- these are OK to mix. There is at least one (blue) that specifically says "Do Not Mix With Bleach." This one is not safe.

Best Answer

Check your labels. The original Dawn formula has changed over the years and many dish soaps now contain ammonia. This causes toxic fumes when mixed with bleach. Most dish soaps carry a warning not to use with bleach.

The bleach that I buy says to use 3/4 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water to clean showers, tubs, sinks, etc. My husband puts 2 cups of bleach in a 1 quart spray bottle then adds water and uses it to spray down the shower walls and floor (tile and grout) after showering. I think this is way too much, but he argues that "it doesn't hurt anything". Is this true? What happens when you use too much bleach in a solution?

By SavingGrace from Patterson, CA

Best Answer

A friend of mine uses bleach for everything and has removed the shine on almost all of the same. I would follow the highly dilited recipe. Unless the tub is ceramic it will lose its luster and get soiled quickly.

Anonymous
    Best Answer

Using too much bleach for cleansing/sanitizing can cause not only damage to the item but, more importantly, cumulative lung damage so let your husband know that it can hurt! You would be much better off using a non-chlorine bleach (they contain hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine) and always sticking to the manufacturers suggested mixing recommendation ratio because they have good reasons for their recommendations!

Best Answer

Can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading something that stated a 1:10 dilution of bleach was more effective than using bleach straight!

Several other things to consider:

1) In chemistry lab, one is taught that you should always add the concentrated chemical (bleach) to the water, not the water to the bleach. This is for safety.

2) You should not have to be spraying after every shower for mildew. If you really want to, check this article: http://www.food  y-cleaner-349641

3) OSHA does not recommend bleach for porous surfaces. The mildew comes back because its "roots" are deep in the grout and not killed by the bleach on the surface.

4) another recipe some people suggest is using rubbing alcohol in the sprayer.

5) Bleach is a base, and they are corrosive by nature, especially concentrated. Grout and tub surfaces can be damaged with daily use.