Cleaning With Borax

Borax is an effective ingredient in many cleaning recipes and also is a good laundry booster. Add one tablespoon of Borax to 1 quart of water and use it as a safe all-purpose cleaner. Dissolve a 1/2 cup of borax in a sink full of water to clean delicate dishes like fine China.

Follow the directions on the box to use it as a laundry booster. If you do construction or landscaping work and have really dirty work clothes adding Borax to your laundry helps a lot.

Borax can be purchased in the laundry section at your local grocery store. Sweeten musty basement floors by sprinkling around on the concrete, let it sit for a while, then sweep up.

Answers:

Cleaning With Borax

That was really interesting. (07/15/2005)

By nmcl

Cleaning With Borax

I love borax, been using it all over the house since my first baby with cloth diapers (only lasted 2 months, but loved the laundry/deodorizing results!) I use it as the base for homemade laundry soap, to boost store detergent (and extend it); to clean greasy messes; and take care of any other cleaning when my baking soda runs out! I never have to use bleach on my clothes! (03/25/2006)

By camo_angels

Cleaning With Borax

The only problem with borax is the skull and crossbones. It's there for a reason. It's dangerous. It's great for laundry, but I'd stay away from putting (sprinkling) it anywhere where a child or pet could be exposed. Go for something biodegradable or organic. (07/14/2007)

By gddyup2

Cleaning With Borax

Use 1 cup of Borax two teaspoons of Palmolive with Oxy *dish soap* and 1 cup hot water to clean deep dug in dirt in carpets. Allow to sit in carpet for an hour. Cover with a newspaper and dry. Thats one clean carpet!

Editor's Note: I'm not sure why you would need to cover with newspaper. I'd be worried about the ink staining the carpet. (10/30/2007)

By Cd

Cleaning With Borax

I am a big Borax user. We use it with our dish detergent whenever we wash. It really gives a clean rinse on the dishes and, especially the greasy pans! I also use it as a ceramic stove top cleaner. Just sprinkle some on a wet rag, and rub together to make a paste. Rub on all those stains and burned on spills. It's really great. I too use it in the laundry. With dark clothes, I put it into the water on a small load setting until it starts to agitate. That way you make sure that it is dissolved in the cold water. Then add the rest of the water and soap, clothes, and wash away. The clothes really come out fresh, and well rinsed. It works really well as a suds enhancer and rinse agent. I may try it in the water the next time I wash my car (probably next Spring). (11/11/2009)

By woodlandflower

Cleaning With Borax

I use it for carpet cleaning. Borax will also kill fleas in the carpet and with 4 dogs who love to be outside, this has the added side effect of keeping an infestation from occurring.

In a gallon of hot water, I mix 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of borax and stir until the borax dissolves. I put this in my carpet cleaning machine. It's amazing how clean it gets the carpets without all the chemicals and, of course, it's a lot cheaper.

If I have any of the solution left, I add a little natural soap that I make myself and use it to mop the kitchen floor! Clean, deodorize, and sanitize all in one. (04/27/2010)

By randyw36

Borax powder, with a measuring cup and spray bottle.
Cleaning With Borax
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Borax
Buying Borax
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
🎄
🍂