Cleaning Yellow Hydrogen Peroxide Stains on Clothing

Two white t-shirts hanging on a clothes line
Using hydrogen peroxide to remove stains on some fabrics can unfortunately leave you with a new yellow stain. This is a guide about cleaning yellow hydrogen peroxide stains on clothing.

My husband just got a brand new white dress shirt. While he was getting dressed, he noticed that he got a tiny spot of blood on his collar from shaving. He didn't want to change, so I took him in the bathroom and dabbed it with peroxide, which got the blood right out. The problem is that the area that I put the peroxide on, is now yellow. I tried shout, oxiclean and even the combination of dishwashing soap, bleach, and hot water. The shirt says to only use non-chlorine bleach, but the rest of the shirt in super white, it's just the spot that I put peroxide on. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lisa Monit

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

Here's what worked of me. I dribbled some peroxide on a favorite white cotton cami to get out perspiration stains and hung it out on the pool towel rack, thinking Florida sun would help. Well it yellowed.

I soaked it for five days in regular detergent, I used Tide and cold water, changing the water and soap every day until it came out. And it did. It's pure white now!

It's like bleach on white laminate countertops, it will come out eventually with soap and water. Patience is the key.

I used hydrogen peroxide to remove a stain from a white shirt and it turned the fabric yellow. How do I get it white again?

By Yvonne

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Try denture cleaner, prepare according to instructions for dentures and just soak the part where the stain is. I know this works for cloth that is yellowed by age, so maybe it will work on a yellow stain.

You might check out Rit Dye. They make a product that takes all color out of an item, rendering it completely white. If your blouse has any colors on it though, it would also take these colors out. I've never tried it yet, but I want to, on some stained white bath towels whose binding turned yellow from using powder bleach in the wash water. Good luck!

There is a product in the laundry isle called Mrs Stewarts "bluing". It also works on white clothes that have become grey and dingey over time. Works well.

I would find out what material you are dealing with. If you have rayon or something like that, it will not stand the same sort of stain treatment that cotton will. I suspect this shirt is not just cotton or polycotten, as peroxide does not turn cotton yellow. It may also not have completely removed the stain, and that may be the yellow residue. To be truly helpful, here, we need to know the type of fabric the shirt is, and what the original stain was.

Anonymous

I had a tiny spot on the color of my 100% cotton blouse and poured peroxide on the spot, the spot disappeared and now I have a huge yellow spot ....so looks like I ruined the shirt.

I tried to remove a stain from a white t-shirt by using hydrogen peroxide, then setting it in the sun. The stain seems to be gone, but anywhere the peroxide was, the shirt turned yellow. Is there any way to get the yellow out caused by the peroxide?

By Kimberly A.

Answers

Anonymous

What kind of fabric blend is it? 100% cotton or is it mixed with another fabric fiber? I've never seen hydrogen peroxide do that to a cotton fabric before, white or not. Perhaps it was because you put it out in the sun while the peroxide was on it?

I have had the privledge of the same thing happening. A nice pair of white capri jeans (cotton & 2% spandex) turn yellow in the sun after peroxide use. Are they toast now? I have washed them several times now and they still remain yellow.

Anonymous

We are trying a combination of white vinegar & baking soda to remove the peroxide stain from a white karate uniform. We used the peroxide to get out a dried in blood stain. Now we are trying to fight the yellow. It seems to be lightening the yellow spot as we speak, we are on the second time.