Cleaning a Dishwasher

One of my kids washed a load of dishes and saw the rinse aid was empty. He grabbed the Finish dishwasher cleaner and accidentally used it to fill the rinse aid dispenser and then washed the dishes. He didn't read the label.

I can easily wash the dishes by hand, but how do I now get the Finish dishwasher cleaner out of the rinse aid dispenser so that I can safely wash my dishes in the dishwasher again? Please help.

By Pat from Marshalltown, IA

Answers:

Cleaning a Dishwasher

I was told that I should run Tang through a cycle with the dishwasher empty. This came from GE. I used it, and a smelly old dishwasher recovered nicely and was usable. Try it. (06/29/2010)

By daiquiri

Cleaning a Dishwasher

Hello, me again. I did a little checking, as I misunderstood what it was that your son had filled the rinse agent dispenser with. I went to the Finish site to see what this cleaner would be made of, but couldn't find any info. There is a place where you can contact them, so perhaps you should do that. I would suspect that what it is is an acid; I am not familiar with this product. Does it have corrosive warning signs on it? Soaps are slightly base, and so an acid is what it would take to cut the water deposits out of your dishwasher. I would not try sucking it out with a straw if it is the least bit corrosive (like even as much as vinegar).

I suspect that you could likely wash the dishes quite safely with this stuff in the dispenser, as it will only be dispensing the smallest amount at any time, and if it is a weak acid, it won't be a problem. However, this is just my opinion, and not any guarantee. I suggest you go to the website and email a question or see if there is a phone number on the bottle and phone the company. They will be able to tell you if the product is likely to hurt the dishes. I can't see how it could, but it might discolor silverware or something like that. (06/29/2010)

By louel53

Cleaning a Dishwasher

Why not buy a small siphon? You can probably find it at Walmart or an auto parts store. I think we purchased ours at a Boater's World years ago. Better than sucking it through a straw! Then, clean your siphon and keep it with your emergency preparedness kit. Handy if you need to transfer fuel in times of crisis. Good Luck! (07/24/2010)

By psr1lady

Dishwasher full of dishes.
Cleaning a Dishwasher
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher
🎉
🎄