Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

What is best way to clean a fiberglass tub? I purchased a house and the tub is very dirty. It is a one piece tub and shower

By Gail

Fiberglass will scratch easily so that will limit your choices. Hard water scum is one problem and soap scum is another; this may be a combination. I can't give you any specifics, but I would suggest trying any of the spray-on bath cleaners or dishwasher soap. It will probably be a spray on and let it soak, wipe it down, and do it again until it is clean.

You might want to check an auto supply store for cleaners to use on fiberglass car bodies and a wax to keep it cleaner after all that work. Hope this helps; sorry I can't think of anything better or easier.

I have the same sort of tub shower combination. I use a inexpensive oven cleaner spray and let it sit for about 15 minutes. If it is really dirty, you could leave it overnight. Buy the one without fumes and use gloves. This works great for me! You can also buy a fiberglass tub cleaner with muriatic acid, but this does not work half as well as the oven cleaner. To remove it, I just spray the tub with the shower nozzle and wipe it down with an old towel.

I once found that CLR (calcium, lime, and rust remover) did a great job of getting rid of really encrusted dirt in a bathtub. In my current bathroom, I use a home made spray of about a quarter cup of vinegar in a spray bottle of water, then a couple of drops of dish detergent. (Don't put the detergent in first or you won't be able to fill the bottle for the suds!) I spray this around the tub and enclosure after every use, and it stays sparkling!

Anonymous

I tried vinegar baking soda and various cleaners, I had the best luck with Murphys oil. But can be slippery be sure to rinse well. I think it is more of a solvent, works great cleaning my kitchen wallpaper too.

I used 600 grit, then 800 grit followed by 1000 grit wet sandpaper. I then used a polishing compound to finish off the job. The tub looks brand new now. The sand paper did not harm my tub. So, whom ever is saying not to use abrasives on fiberglass are 'not in the know'.

Oh, it took about 4 hours of hard labor. Not fun, but I got some great exercise.