Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

Category Bathroom
When cleaning your fiberglass tub, it is important to not scratch the surface. Finding the right cleaning methods will help you keep your tub looking nice. This is a guide about cleaning a fiberglass tub.

Person wearing rubber gloves cleaning a bathtub.

Alcohol can be safely used to clean stains and soap scum off of your fiberglass tubs. This is a guide about using alcohol for cleaning a fiberglass tub.

Fiberglass Shower Pan

This is a guide about cleaning a fiberglass shower pan. Fiberglass is a common material used to make shower stalls. Using the right cleaners and methods will help you keep them clean and looking good.

My fiberglass bathtub has a nonskid bottom that is terribly difficult to get clean. I have found that the best thing is to scrub it with baking soda. It also seems to stay clean for a long time after I do this. For a little added cleaning power, after it is all scrubbed, I add and scrub a little dash of vinegar all around, scrubbing quickly as the fizzing action only lasts a few seconds. The tub is just gleaming when I get done. It is an amazing cleaner for fiberglass.

Patti from Oklahoma City, OK

Baking soda is also abrasive and that starts to wear on the gel coat. I use Vinegar to remove soap and hard water stains. If you leave vinegar on the acid is mild enough not to alter the gel coat and will dissolve the water spots and for the last 4 years has been great on my brass fixtures. After I get it shining with vinegar I apply a high end poly car wax and the surface seems to last up to a year if I do not use abrasives or even rough surfaced rags. I have really hard water here and the shower fixture was leaking and built up a horrible hard water deposit on the brass up high where I could not see. I just hung a rag soaked with vinegar on it for a couple of hours one day....scrubbed and then a few hours the next day.....scrubbed and shiny as new.....Put that wax on it after. Just like a car and road grime it will save your surface. Use the good poly based wax or teflon based. Hard to work with but unless you plan to replace that shower and tub (in my case)

well worth the effort.

On your site it says you can clean fiberglass bathtubs with alcohol. What kind are you talking about grain alcohol or rubbing alcohol?

I found the tip. It says plain alcohol or Japanese saki. https://www.goo  9/19563-amp.html

I have tried many things to get the soap scum off my fiber glass tub, but to no avail, nothing has worked. Is there any sure way to clean it? Thanks.

Answer Was this helpful? 4

Will mr clean bath eraser scratch fiberglass?

Mom always put her plants in her fiberglass tub to water them. Then she had an unexpected illness and left the plant in the tub, which created a stain that won't come out. Help please.

By Laura from Lathrop, MO

Best Answer

I've had a cleaning business for over 30 years. This absolutely works. However...use on fiberglass ONLY. Do NOT use on enamel tub because it will remove the paint.

My fiberglass tub has some yellow spots. How can I get rid of them?

What is best way to clean a fiberglass tub? I purchased a house and the tub is very dirty. It is a one piece tub and shower

By Gail

I used 600 grit, then 800 grit followed by 1000 grit wet sandpaper. I then used a polishing compound to finish off the job. The tub looks brand new now. The sand paper did not harm my tub. So, whom ever is saying not to use abrasives on fiberglass are 'not in the know'.

Oh, it took about 4 hours of hard labor. Not fun, but I got some great exercise.

I have moved into a home with a dirty laundry tub. It is light in weight, so I am thinking it is fiberglass. Does any one in this community of very wise people know how to clean it? It is white if it was clean. This will need a powerful cleaner. Any ideas?

Is there a sure fire cleaning tip for cleaning a fiberglass tub and shower surround?
I have tried Magic Eraser, Kaboom, Scrubbing Bubbles, etc.

By Lorraine from CT

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I have tried just about everything listed here and I will admit the oven cleaner really does work, but something that works astonishing well is a product called EdFred shower stall and tile cleaner. My husband found it at Orchard Supply Hardware store. I thought for sure we would have to replace our entire shower stall but this stuff made it brand new! Also their toilet bowl cleaner also works amazing too.

How can I remove the dark ring around the sides of the tub?

By Mona from The Villages, FL

I have a fiberglass jet bath tub that has a yellowing stain in the bottom of tub how do I get it out?

By Kathleen

How do I clean a fiberglass shower?

By Peggy from MN

First, I wipe down my shower after every use with a towel. That keeps the fiber glass shower clean so I only have lightly clean the shower a couple of times a year. I use Bar Keepers Friend that I bought at Home Depot with a non scratch pad available at grocery stores. My preferred brand is made by 3M Co. My fiber glass shower looks as good as the day it was installed and by wiping down the shower after every use it is very easy to keep clean in the minimum of time.

Hair conditioner causes the tub to be very slippery. I clean the tub regularly, no stains, just very slippery. I've tried about every cleaner, suction cups on bath mats do not stick.

By Marion

How can you get the shiny finish back after cleaning a fiberglass shower pan? I was able to get all the stains out after reading some responses on the best way, but now I'm left with a dull finish and it'll just get dirty immediately without some sort of finish to protect it. Plus it just looks dull and not new looking.

By Andrew M.

This is a great place to come for help. I've read numerous tips on how to clean a shower, but have never seen a tip on how to clean a fiberglass tub. I need help. Can I use the same tips given for tile on fiberglass tubs?

By Andria

I have a friend that has hard black specks in her tub, almost like ink spots. At first I thought it was mold that was building up inside the jets of her jacuzzi tub, so I used a cup of bleach and a cup of dishwasher detergent powder, filled up the tub and ran it through the jets for about 20 minutes. That did nothing to the spots. We cannot seem to get them out unless we scrub and scrub, but we also don't want to ruin the surface because it is fiberglass.

Every time she bathes there are more, now they just keep building up. She said she can get them out if she uses her nail then her finger to scrub each individual speck, but then there is a smudge left and we need to scrub and scrub to get that out. We cannot figure out what it is or how to stop it. They aren't grease or mildew spots because they are very hard. We are getting exhausted with this problem and now there must be a couple hundred little spots. I have noticed there is also some in the toilet in the same bathroom that are very difficult to remove too. There are 3 other bathrooms in the house, but they don't have that problem. (The specks are in the master bathroom.)

By Carol N.

I have a fiberglass bathtub with the walls and shelves attached. I can't seem to get black mold spots out of the grout attaching the tub to the walls no matter how hard I scrub. Do I have to re-do the grout? Any advice regarding effective store-bought or homemade fiberglass-safe cleaners would be much appreciated.

I have a heck of a time getting the fiberglass clean, the dirt seems to stick to it like glue and scrubbing is useless. It's very frustrating. Thanks so much for your help.

By AnnahFM from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

Try spraying with bleach. (04/14/2009)

By vguy

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

Bleach is good at killing mold. I would put a little bleach in some water and clean it with that. It still won't look clean, but it should kill the mold.

There is a product called Polyblend Grout Renew. It is a colorant, has mildew preventer in it and is also a sealer, and the bottle says it is stain resistant. I got it at Home Depot in the flooring department, it comes in different colors.

I wanted to do the grout in my bathroom, ceramic tile floor, wall and around the tub, but they didn't have the exact color to match any of the grout, so I just bought the nearest color to it. You apply it with an old toothbrush and while still wet, you wipe over it with a dry rag.

This stuff covered all of the grout which is now a uniform color and made it all look like new, and it actually is stain resistant. I did it about 6 mos. ago and it still looks like I just did it. It is made by Custom Building Products in Seal Beach, California. (04/14/2009)

By Anonymous

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

I bet it isn't Grout but is Caulking instead. Either way, you can use straight bleach to clean caulk or grout. Just pour or spray it on, shut the bathroom door, and leave the bleach to sit for about 20 minutes or so. If it's caulk and not grout, sometimes mold will get into caulking. If it is caulk, it's very easy to re-caulk. They sell a bathroom caulk that resists mold. All you have to do is scrape the rubbery caulk out then re-caulk. Ask at the hardware store, there is lots of cool tips & tools to help caulk a neat line. (04/14/2009)

By Cyinda

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

I use Tilex. If that doesn't work, it's under the caulk and should be removed and reapplied. As far as cleaning a fiberglass tub. I have two products that I use on mine. Bar Keeper's Friend. It's a cleanser like Comet or Ajax and melts away the crud like you wouldn't believe. The second is the Mr. Clean Eraser. Wonderful, wonderful, they will scrub out the remainder of the crud. Blessings! (04/16/2009)

By Sheryllynn44

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

Try using Scrubbing Bubbles. I clean houses and I swear by this product. (04/17/2009)

By busdrivr

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

I also would use a magic eraser on the grout and /or scrub with an old toothbrush dipped in spic n span with water. The fiberglass is frustrating. I once tried a magic eraser on my shower (out of desperation) and now rust stains are so embedded. I think that the eraser sort of micro-scratched the surface. So, try CLR or something like it. Use a scrubby with circular motions dipped in borax or softscrub. I feel your pain! (04/17/2009)

By captarlo

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

I will add a PS to my post below, Polyblend Grout Renew works with both grout and caulk. (04/18/2009)

By Anonymous

Use either natural cotton (like for first aid) or twisted papertowel, place it where the mold is and spray with bleach and leave it until peeking under it shows the black is gone. Can do the same thing with white vinegar. After cleaning, spray the area with white vinegar and leave it to dry. It stops mold and fungus in porous materials (grout) and even painted drywall

I would like suggestions for cleaning fiberglass tub walls.

By waitress from Brick, NJ

Answers:

Cleaning Fiberglass Tubs and Showers

I use the Scrubbing Bubbles on mine, after I clean, rinse, and touch up any missed spots I dry it with a towel to speed things up. Then after completely dry I use car paste wax on the walls, it helps to repel the water and soap scum sliding down the drain! I only have to do this once a year, but remember for maintenance do not use a SOS pad or scratchy scrubbers or you will have to re-apply the wax again. Touch ups are fast and easy just apply where needed if it wears off in spots from everyday use. Good luck! I also use shampoo, yes shampoo to clean the glass doors and all of the chrome handles in the tub and shower, rinse well and sparkles like new. (09/13/2009)

By Beau D

Cleaning Fiberglass Tubs and Showers

The advice about oven cleaner and Magic Eraser was a godsend. I had given up completely on ever getting the shower clean again. After about 15 minutes of the oven cleaner soaking the soap scum came off unbelievably well with the Magic Eraser. After everything was rinsed off I touched up the tough spots with a second spray and wipe and the shower floor was literally as white as snow. Thank you for the tip! (01/08/2010)

By mtntalker

Cleaning Fiberglass Tubs and Showers

I have spine problems and asthma. I've been using shampoo while in the shower to clean the walls a little at a time, and it works great. Tub surround shines so nicely. But for a heavy cleaning job (like tub ring) I am going to try the oven cleaner. I can't seem to keep up with the ring. Any other suggestions? (02/23/2010)

By Terrilee99

just scrub with kitchen cleanser after every bath

My fiberglass shower is gross, probably beyond repair. Any suggestions for attempting to clean it? Thank you.

I am trying to get my house together and my bathtub is a mess with so many stains. What can I use on a fiberglass tub?

What is the best way to clean fiber glass tubs?

What is good for cleaning fiber glass tubs and walls? I have never had fiber glass before and not sure what to use.

How do you clean a fiberglass bathtub and sink?

We have a fiberglass shower and bathtub installed in our home. The bathtub's still in very good condition.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

I have a fiberglass tub (or as I call it, a plastic tub) and I can not get it white.