Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

We have a fiberglass shower and bathtub installed in our home. The bathtub's still in very good condition. It looks dull because of the soap buildup. I have tried cleaning it with Bon Ami, polishing cleanser which is recommended for fiberglass. And I have tried using Simply Green liquid cleaner. No matter how hard I scrub, I can't remove the dull soap scum.

What product can I buy to remove the soap so it at least looks clean and somewhat new?

I will thank you for your suggestions.

Marge from NY

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

My parents also have a fiberglass tub and have found a product that just works wonderfully! It's called Barkeeper's Friend--it's awesome. Takes away a lot of the scrubbing, we use to do on it! If your tub is really bad, try using that and a Black and Decker Scumbuster.
Good Luck!
RoxyLea (09/19/2007)

By RoxyLea

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

"The Works"! I get it at Dollar Tree and it will melt anything off of fiberglass with minimal scrubbing. I used one of the Mr. Clean long-handled scrubbers and the pad for tubs. Works perfectly. I even used The Works to kill iron staining from my sister's shower. They thought I was a magician! It's really good stuff and cheap at Dollar Tree.

Granny (09/21/2007)

By Granny Marcia

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

I love Windex type cleaners for cleaning any type of sink or tub. Its the greatest for removing soap scum, as it has ammonia. (Its makes diamonds sparkle) It doesn't leave water spots on your faucets.

I hope you haven't worn off the finish on your tub by scrubbing it. Have you tried just plain baking soda? I had a stain in my cast iron tub that I couldn't remove. A friend suggested I try plain old baking soda. It worked better than cleanser!

Best of luck. (09/23/2007)

By Carol in PA

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

I too, have a fiberglass tub. One thing that helps immensely is a water softener if you have hard water. It makes it much much easier to clean all sinks, the toilet, and the tub. I also only have to use half the soap or detergent in the dishwasher and washing machine and my skin is much less itchy in the winter. (09/24/2007)

By Lynn

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

Mr. Clean Eraser is my favorite newest addition to a cleaning arsenal for hard surfaces, without damaging the surface I am cleaning. It uses plain water and elbow grease. Once the soap scum, stain, or ground in floor dirt is erased, seal the area. Linoleum floors I seal with Beacon Wax, Veneer counter top and Fiberglass tub/shower stall with "Gel Coat". Windows dry with window chamois. Mr. Clean Eraser removes Kool Aid stains from white counter tops. I was sold. Wouldn't want to live without one in the house ever again. 3/30/08 (03/30/2008)

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

You won't believe this but it works. My fiberglass tub sparkles like new:
Here is what I used (in this order)

• Strypeeze (Savogran Co.)
  • Mineral Spirits
  • No 7 Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound (Cyclo Industries)
  • No 7 White Polishing Compund (also by Cyclo industries)
  • Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #6 Professional Cleaner Wax

Wear gloves. Follow the directions on the labels. It takes a lot of elbow grease to do the initial cleaning. Use Foaming Scrubbing Bubbles to clean the tub after you bathe. Spray it on and wipe it down. Every 6 months - 1 year re-apply a coat of Mirror Glaze to continue to protect the surface. (06/04/2008)

By Susan

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

Top Job liquid cleanser works great on my new shower enclosure and fiberglass tub. I use a plastic scrubbie that is sold in the dish soap section used for washing dishes. It is so quick. You can start scrubbing as soon as you spray. It looks like new every time (06/23/2008)

By Gloria

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

I have used everything on the market. I recently used Zap Fiberglass Restorer, and it took my tub and surround back to brand new. You can only find it on line I haven't been able to find it in stores. (08/28/2008)

Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub

I found that 3M products work well. I went to their website and found Color/Gloss Restorer. It claims to revive dull gelcoat surfaces. And it does!! I just used it on our fiberglass tub and it works great. I am now going to apply 3M Marine Finesse-It II Finishing Material to give it a wet look shine. It then recommends using the 3M Marine Ultra Performance Paste Wax. I do have some but am not sure I will use that. Will see how tired I am when I get to that step. (10/25/2008)

By Val

Woman Cleaning Bathtub
Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Remove Soap Scum from Fiberglass
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub