Cleaning a Lampshade

Tips for cleaning lampshades. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Dusting Lampshades

To clean dusty lampshades, I use a tape-roller lint brush (the kind with sticky tape). Just roll it up and down around the lampshade. Works Great!

By Melissa (03/03/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning a Lampshade

I take my lampshades out to my husband's workshop and blow the dust and lint off with his air compressor. Fast and easy. (03/04/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Cleaning a Lampshade

I like your idea of using a lint brush to clean your lampshade, but my lampshade is pleated and a lint brush wouldn't work well. I use a clean, dry paintbrush and brush the dust off. It works well. (03/04/2005)

By Tricia

Cleaning a Lampshade

I use cheap baby wipes to clean my lamp shades. It even takes dog and cat hair off too. (03/04/2005)

By tonya

Cleaning a Lampshade

When I dust, I use a Swiffer Duster on a handle. I use this on my lampshades too. Works great. (03/05/2005)

By Linda

Cleaning Lampshades

I read a tip about cleaning lamp shades and just had to send this one in also. I do housecleaning and one of the ladies I clean for has a very difficult to clean lampshade along with the other type that are easier to clean. I have found that the best thing to use for both is a small paint brush. It just brushes the dust right off the shade. Works great!

By Robin (03/16/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning Lamp Shades

Basic cleaning of shades: use a clean soft cloth or a vacuum brush to dust the lampshade inside and outside. Take off any non-washable trim. If the cloth is glued to the frame, sew it on with thread of the same color. Then you will be able to wash it over and over again without any trouble. Fill a deep washtub or bathtub with enough warm water to cover the shade. Add detergent and swish up thick suds. Use a mild detergent, as a hand dish washing liquid.

Fabric Shade:
Use suds on a soft brush to rub any spots lightly. Then dip the shade up and down. When the water gets dirty, change to clean sudsy water. Wash the shade a second time. To rinse the shade, dip it up and down through two or three changes of clean water. Don't worry if the cloth stretches and sags while it is wet. It will tighten up for a snug fit when it gets dry.

To dry a fabric shade, tie a string to the middle of the frame. Then hang it over the bathtub or hang it from a clothesline outdoors to drip dry. Or you can wipe the shade with a bath towel until it is almost dry. Then put it back on the lamp and turn on the light so the heat from the bulb will help it to finish drying. If the lampshade has ruffles, "press" them with your finger.

Plastic, Plastic Coated, Laminated, Parchment, or Fiberglass shade:
Put one fourth cup of mild detergent into a bowl. Add just enough warm water to make it wet. Whip this mixture with a whip or electric mixer to make stiff "dry" suds that look like whipped cream. Put some of the thick suds on a cloth or sponge. Use this to wash the shade, inside and outside. If the binding around the edge is glued on, don't rub it or let it get very wet. Rinse the shade right away by going over it with a clean damp cloth. Then wipe it dry.

Don't forget to clean the reflector bowl if the lamp has one, before replacing the shade. Never use any abrasive cleaner like common scouring powders, no abrasive pads.

This article was written by Anne Field, Extension Specialist, Emeritus.

Source: MSU Extension (05/01/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning a Lampshade

We have two cats and a dog, and our lampshades collect a LOT of hair. I use cheap packing tape. Just run the sticky side down from top to bottom. (03/30/2006)

By Ree 127

Cleaning a Lampshade

I have a heavy fabric lampshade (only one), and I vacuum it with the fabric head on my Kenmore. Or, I take a fabric softener sheet (now that I don't use them in the dryer anymore) and rub down to neutralize static and get a "fresh" smell. (03/30/2006)

By camo_angels

Cleaning a Lampshade

I used the suggestion for the baby wipe on the non-removable, non-pleated lampshade. Excellent! Then I followed with a lint remover for dust 'stragglers'. (03/07/2007)

By Brooke

Cleaning a Lampshade

I've had luck removing stains and dust by placing the lampshade in a hot tub. The chlorine and the jets do wonders! (05/12/2007)

By Justin

Cleaning a Lampshade

I got a "lampshade cleaner", which looks like a little pink sock, filled with grains of cleaner. Just wipe and most stains come out. I don't know where to find them, I guess a shade store. I got mine free at lampsusa.com. If you buy a shade, and mention free shade cleaner, they send you one free. (07/18/2008)

By Sammy

Cleaning a Lampshade

I use the Cadie Dry Cleaning Pad. It works wonders on my shades (with pleats), and it is great for other uses around the house as well. (10/19/2008)

By Rhi

Cleaning a Lampshade

I personally use the dust master 4000. It works wonders and whilst I'm scrubbing my beloved lampshades, I find it also gives off a soothing vibrate as a bi-product of my leisurely cleaning. The dust master 4000 also has other uses. ;) (11/06/2008)

By Ronplipandjack

picture of a dusty lampshade
Cleaning a Lampshade
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
Lampshade
Repairing a Lampshade
🎄