Cleaning a Smelly Mouth Guard

This guide is about cleaning a smelly mouth guard. It answers the question about how to keep your mouth guard smelling nice and clean with daily maintenance.

December 18, 2000 Flag

I have to wear a night guard on my upper teeth every night to prevent damage to my teeth because I grind my teeth during the night. Has anyone had any experience with one of these things? Mine has gotten stained and smells terrible.

I don't care about the staining, but don't like the smell. No amount of brushing with toothpaste or a baking soda-water paste has helped. My dentist hasn't been able to tell me what to do. I don't want to put out the money for a new one and insurance wouldn't pick up the cost anyway.

Liz

Best Answer

Soak in listerine during the day, and disinfect once a week by boiling in an uncovered pot for 5 min.

Best Answer

I soaked my nightguard in dilute bleach - at my dentist's recommendation - but now I can't get the bleach taste to go away, despite many attempts to rinse off the guard or soak it in water. Any suggestions for how to get rid of the bleachy taste so I can start wearing my nightguard again?

I'll definitely be trying a different cleaning method next time!

Best Answer

I soak mine in denture cleaner all the time, so it does not smell, but it does not look great from years of wear.

To TRY to get rid of the stains I have put it in the dishwasher, soaked it in Oxy-Clean (that works for most everything else), used peroxide and baking soda as a paste in the sun. No luck, still ugly

Using the denture cleaner keeps it fresh though. Sometimes I am good and soak it everyday. Most times not. Because it is ugly, I store it in a ceramic covered dish - it was a cheesy jewelry box someone gave me, but is perfect to hide the mouth guard on my bathroom counter, and to also soak it in denture cleaner.

Best Answer

I wore a retainer then a night guard during my years of braces. As an adult, I wore a night guard because of grinding.

Both my orthodontist and my dentist told me to use the effervescent denture cleaner daily. I had my retainer for years and my night guard as well.

If I was out of the cleaner I would use listerine.

Remember to brush your teeth and use listerine before you put on your night guard.

Best Answer
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMay 16, 2013
Schipperke
Schipperke Breed Information and Photos
Cleaning a Retainer
Cleaning a Retainer
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
National Guard Woman
Joining the National Guard
🎉
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 1, 2016 at 2:36:41 PM on 10.0.0.90 in 680 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.