Cleaning a Smelly Mouth Guard

Category Miscellaneous
Mouth Guard
This guide is about cleaning a smelly mouth guard. It answers the question about how to keep your mouth guard smelling nice and clean with daily maintenance.

I have to wear a night guard on my upper teeth every night to prevent damage to my teeth because I grind my teeth during the night. Has anyone had any experience with one of these things? Mine has gotten stained and smells terrible.

I don't care about the staining, but don't like the smell. No amount of brushing with toothpaste or a baking soda-water paste has helped. My dentist hasn't been able to tell me what to do. I don't want to put out the money for a new one and insurance wouldn't pick up the cost anyway.

Liz

Best Answer

Try brushing with toothpaste then letting it soak in mouthwash during the day.

Best Answer

Try soaking your guard in hydrogen peroxide, as the smell comes from bacteria, and the peroxide should oxidize(kill) it. You can follow up with another soaking in a denture cleaning tab or mouthwash to freshen it.

Best Answer

I brush it with toothpaste in the morning, then soak it during the day in a 50% water/50% blue Listerine. It never smells anymore. I replace this solution weekly.

The 40% alcohol in Listerine also does a pretty good job of killing bacteria while it soaks.

Best Answer

I've had the same problem - the bacteria coming from your mouth is the issue. Soak it in hydrogen peroxide (get it at the supermarket) - the same stuff women used to beach their hair with - it will kill the bacteria and the staining...just make sure you rinse it sufficiently afterward.

Best Answer

I soaked my nightguard in dilute bleach - at my dentist's recommendation - but now I can't get the bleach taste to go away, despite many attempts to rinse off the guard or soak it in water. Any suggestions for how to get rid of the bleachy taste so I can start wearing my nightguard again?

I'll definitely be trying a different cleaning method next time!

Best Answer

I soak mine in denture cleaner all the time, so it does not smell, but it does not look great from years of wear.

To TRY to get rid of the stains I have put it in the dishwasher, soaked it in Oxy-Clean (that works for most everything else), used peroxide and baking soda as a paste in the sun. No luck, still ugly

Using the denture cleaner keeps it fresh though. Sometimes I am good and soak it everyday. Most times not. Because it is ugly, I store it in a ceramic covered dish - it was a cheesy jewelry box someone gave me, but is perfect to hide the mouth guard on my bathroom counter, and to also soak it in denture cleaner.

Best Answer

I wore a retainer then a night guard during my years of braces. As an adult, I wore a night guard because of grinding.

Both my orthodontist and my dentist told me to use the effervescent denture cleaner daily. I had my retainer for years and my night guard as well.

If I was out of the cleaner I would use listerine.

Remember to brush your teeth and use listerine before you put on your night guard.

Best Answer

I store my night guard in distilled white vinegar. The denture tabs did nothing, and it was tedious to brush it with baking soda. The vinegar kills many types of bacteria, plus it dissolves any calcium deposits that trap odor and bacteria. It stays clean and clear, and the lining is not affected as it may be with chlorine bleach. Eureka.

I have only had mine a week and despite thorough cleaning it smells like dog poo, not good when you have to put it in your mouth. Is this normal? I'm now worried about the effect on my teeth, although it is to protect them from grinding. I wonder if it's worth it.

By Basil