Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning a Remote Control

Remote Control on White Background

Remote controls take a lot of abuse from sticky fingers and other contaminates; cleaning and keeping them clean can improve their operation. This is a guide about cleaning a remote control.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Cleaning Remote Controls

I've always used alcohol and Q-tips to clean the remote. It's worked for me.

By Kathie622 from Nanticoke, PA

Tip: Protecting Your Remote

If you have kids, you can prevent gooey and dirty hands from gumming up your remote control by placing it in a ziplock bag. They can still see the controls but can't gum up the buttons.

Tip: Protect Your Remote Control

I've noticed people mentioning grease from hands entering their remote control. No cleaning of remote controls, if you wrap remote in Saran Wrap. The wrapped remote works perfectly well. Replace the wrap when changing batteries.

By George from Portarlington, Victoria, Australia

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Cleaning a Remote Control.

Question: Fixing Unresponsive TV Remote Buttons

How do I fix my TV remote? Some buttons work and some don't. Are there contacts in it that can be cleaned?

By Gene from IN

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.03/01/2011

I have seen a friend clean my remote, with just water. He opened it up, rinsed it out, dried it off, then had to dry it three time, and then it worked like a charm. And has done so for 3 years now. However, I don't know if I would try it myself. I suppose you have nothing to lose.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Fixing Unresponsive TV Remote Buttons

My TV Remote has some buttons that don't work anymore. I took it apart and cleaned the contacts, but certain buttons barely work, the ones used most often.

Does anyone know how to get those button contacts, on the underside, to make good contact again with the PC board inside the remote?

DoctorBill from Spokane, WA

RE: Fixing Unresponsive TV Remote Buttons

Why bother fixing it? You can buy a new universal remote for $10. (09/20/2007)

By me

When my TV remote had the non-functioning buttons, I found a "free" one through an electronic retail store. Watch the Sunday circular ads, many times one of the stores will have a multi-function remote that is free after rebates (yes, you pay sales tax and sometimes a stamp for the rebate offer). BTW great job fixing the one you have. I am not sure if you tried a pencil eraser, but they tend to be the best way to clean contacts. (09/20/2007)

By Remote Control

We bought a new universal remote at Big Lots for $6.00. (09/21/2007)

By Carol in PA

There are repair kits available for your problem. Please follow link: http://www.remotecontrolsinc.com/keypad_repair_kit.aspx (12/18/2007)

By Ben

I had my remote apart and discovered the greasy substance doctorbill mentioned. My repair guy told me that grease comes from our hands. It goes through the rubber buttons by osmosis. That's why you notice it mostly under the buttons you use the most. The remote I took apart is one we've used for years. You can clean it, if you're careful, with an ammonia/detergent solution (mild). What I don't know yet is whether I should treat the cleaned surface with anything. (12/24/2007)

By Harold

My new digital TV quit working after 8 mos. and I was devastated. One of my friends told me to clean around every button on my remote because sometimes if something is there, it can cause these newer TV's not to work. I thought they were crazy. But I took a toothpick and went around every button very carefully and found some sticky substance under one of the buttons. I cleaned them all and tried it, and guess what? Yep, my TV came on and hasn't given me any more trouble at all. Try this first because it's cheaper than the repair shop! (01/12/2009)

By Cynthia M.

By me (Guest Post) "Why bother fixing it? You can buy a new universal remote for 10." Because universal remotes often leave out key features unless programmed from the dedicated remote. I have this pain of a problem with my DVDR where to get the skip chapter function or toggling among 480p, 720p, 1080i are absent without programming a key directly. I use a universal remote for TV, DVDR, and stereo system but miss those nice features. (12/09/2010)

By rickevans033050