Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning a Retainer

0 0EmailFollow
Cleaning a Retainer

Mouth retainers used after braces and for other purposes can develop odors and stains. This is a guide about cleaning a retainer.

Here are questions related to Cleaning a Retainer.

Question: Cleaning Plastic Mouth Retainers

After getting my braces off, they give you those awful plastic retainers that you're suppose to wear to keep your teeth straight. I've been good about wearing them. Years later, I'm still wearing the same ones, which now kind of stink and are discolored a bit (don't really care) and have stuff on them which feels like cement.

I'm wondering what the best way to clean them is? The orthodontist told me before to use just mouthwash, but that doesn't do anything, other than make them smell like mouthwash until you wake up the next morning. I've also heard denture cleaner, the little tablets you throw into water. But, I haven't tried that yet. Does anyone have any good ideas as to what to clean them with? I know I'm not going to get the cement-like substance off of them totally, but just anything to some-what clean them would be helpful. Thanks!

By Ashley C.

Best Answers

By vicki hood [4]08/08/2012

Stain Away by Regent labs. 10 times better than any denture tablet. First time i would soak overnight. Usual time is 5 to 10 minutes soak. when done, pour solution into toilet and let soak for a sparkling place to potty.

Best Answers

By romies08/08/2012

Try 50% vinegar and 50% water, my dentist recommended this for a denture soak, works really well.

Best Answers

By Lewissan [30]08/08/2012

I think you need to be careful of heat, because could warp the retainer. So don't try very hot water. So I would try the denture tablets. It seems like those are designed for dealing with that type of build up.

Question: Mouth Retainers Dropped in a Trash Can

I lost my retainers and later found them to be in the trash can. It was wrapped around in a napkin. What should I use to wash it? Would regular soap be OK?

Carro

Most Recent Answer

By (Guest Post)04/12/2008

I would just use a toothbrush and dish detergent and clean it really well. Do NOT use warm water, it will warp the plastic on your retainer!

Question: Cleaning a Retainer

I have recently had my braces removed. I have 2 retainers I have to wear every night. The only retainer cleaner I have ever used is from Aquafresh. They are denture tablets, you soak them in a tablet and hot water. The thing is I can rarely find this product. Does anyone know of another way to clean your retainers? Soap and water is a no-no.

Thanks for any help.
Dana from Newkensington, PA

Solutions: Cleaning a Retainer

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning a Retainer

I have recently had my braces removed. I have 2 retainers I have to wear every night. The only retainer cleaner I have ever used is from Aquafresh. Does anyone know of another way to clean your retainers?